PDA

View Full Version : Dana 30 with vacum disconnect

Justin_B
07-08-2009, 03:57 PM
Im posting this for a buddy of mine. He recently got a cherokee with the two piece axle crap, Just wondering what there was too swaping in normal one piece shafts out of a grand cherokee. Any seals you need to get?

thanks justin

xtremeyj
07-08-2009, 04:10 PM
Just rip out the old axle, make a plate to cover the hole from the vacuum motor, wee bit of silicone and stuff the one piece axle in. Im pretty sure its as easy as that.

Justin_B
07-08-2009, 05:01 PM
Thats what i figured, he called me today all in a panic cause he coudlnt get the axle to seal with the new shafts in, thought mabey it was cause of the diff axle shafts. prob tell him to check the seals

Nutbar
07-08-2009, 05:51 PM
No it is not just as simple as "stuffing the one piece shaft in" . The seal for the axle shaft on that side is out in the disconect housing and is about 1 3/4in dia, the one piece shaft is about 1in dia and the seal for it is in the pumpkin next to the carrier side bearing.
The disconect axle housing is not machined for the factory one piece axle seal.
You have to buy a specialty seal to do this swap, or by the axle kit from Warn, or swap the whole one piece axle assembly knuckle to knuckle.

xtremeyj
07-08-2009, 06:52 PM
Ok, sorry bout that, guess ya learn something new everyday.

Happypants
07-08-2009, 07:03 PM
find out what gears are in it then goto pick a part and get a new one out of a 91 or newer and put it in, easier than fucking with seals and shit, thats what i did the day after i blew my rear driveshaft the first time, my vaccume disco was fucked and i couldnt get home cause of it, took me about 2 hours to pull the old diff and put the new one in,
less than 100 bucks, and you learn how to work on d30s at the same time,

Justin_B
07-08-2009, 07:21 PM
yeah, i'll let him know. Prob be easier to get a new front diff. But just out of curiosity where would you get one of these specialty seals??

nbrowser
07-08-2009, 08:41 PM
I'm just guessing here that Nutbar can find out where to get a hold of one if his store doesn't have one in stock already Justin_B

D-Ass
07-08-2009, 09:09 PM
well thats weird was just talking to nutbar bout this same thing today:confused0006:

hrd4mud
07-19-2009, 05:26 PM
A temp solution I had done on the D44 in my old ram was pull out the vacume switch from the axle housing. The shift fork is held on with a small c clip. I pulled the c clip, slid the shift fork over and reinstalled the c clip, the gap was perfect it held it pretty tight and was always engaged as a onepiece shaft.

Just remember to unplug and block the vacume lines.

WagoneerXJ
08-16-2009, 11:36 AM
A temp solution I had done on the D44 in my old ram was pull out the vacume switch from the axle housing. The shift fork is held on with a small c clip. I pulled the c clip, slid the shift fork over and reinstalled the c clip, the gap was perfect it held it pretty tight and was always engaged as a onepiece shaft.

Just remember to unplug and block the vacume lines.

damn right Steve. Same thing that I did with an old 1990 XJ I had. Worked great in the winter!