PDA

View Full Version : Which engine and tranny combo?

RAW
07-06-2009, 10:58 AM
I am in the middle of building a crawler and am just about to start looking for an engine and tranny. I want to go with a 350 but I don't know what to look for.

I am used to building cars, not 4x4 trucks... I have heard that there are differences between car and truck transmissions but what is it? Is it just the transfer case? Do I need to get a transmission that came from a 4x4 or can I get any transmission and bolt a tcase to it or?

Another question, what engine-transmission combo would you suggest if going with a chev 350?

I want old school... no computer controlled stuff. (Would be fine with MSD ignition but no more computer.)

Thank you!

CITYSLICKER
07-06-2009, 12:35 PM
if you got gots $$$$$$$ then i would call

http://www.tciauto.com/ if not they tell u what to use

C-Dog
07-06-2009, 12:48 PM
Do you want to go automatic or Manual ? if your going to go standard i woul;d go with a older chevy truck tranny the 4 spped one im pretty sure it is the SM465 has the bull low first gear.....If auto matic maybe the 700R4 so u can have that nice low first gear.....Im no pro thats just my 2 cents :dontknow:

I would definatley look at Fuel Injection though since it is going to be a crawler they get on weird angles anbd im sure you know carbs and angles dont wrk well together

xtremeyj
07-06-2009, 03:03 PM
Your way better off goin with that computer controlled crap, as you put it. To do any kind of crawler you will need fuel injection, I run a carb and it SUCKS BALLS. my next mod is the engine.

Happypants
07-06-2009, 04:27 PM
efi small block, 700r4 tranny, np205/208 use the auto to your advantage crawling, like kev said carbs and crawling dont go together,

B
07-07-2009, 01:19 AM
I almost replied to this post at work, just didnt have time...

do people really not know what to build?

sure lets build a 10k rpm motor to idle around on the fawkin rocks..

im willing to bet *(still) that a properly geared 11 hp briggs and stratton could power most rock crawlers.

you need torque.

thats all.

if youre building something to haul 6000 lbs of shit around, you 5% of that weight in torque. thats 300 ftlbs. that'll get the job done. you wont break a lot of axles either.

Gear it right, it'll get you there. Tire size has everything to do with gearing for the available torque.

4.10's and 33s
4.56's and 36s
4.88's and 38s
5.13's and 40s

for a small block, that'll get you there.

if you didnt have an idea before, then you should now.

next thing youre gonna say is "I have 500 ft/lbs of torque with my 350 that has a set of stock heads and a hydraulic flat tappet cam running a single plane... I know so, because i added all the mods together to come up with that number"...

Lets not go there. [16]

MetalMan
07-07-2009, 08:18 AM
If you're used to working on cars you should be already aware that a tailshaft housing goes where a transfer normally would unless they're divorced. So unless you want to be taking trannys apart to swap tailshafts around, get a 4wd tranny...

What do you know about engines? There are a few million possible 350 combos, you're not giving much detail. Regardless, I'd build a mild 383 stroker and slap a TH400 with a 205 on it. Should be a good way to start getting into the crawling scene and you can progress from there

Lynx
08-01-2009, 12:45 AM
what about a 350 on propane for the angles....

m j
08-01-2009, 11:26 AM
sbc on propane
if you want an auto, th350 with a very mild stall convertor
double transfer cases

the 4x4 transmissions have a thicker case to take the wieght of the transfer case better.

Lynx
08-01-2009, 06:01 PM
and the th350 is really short...