PDA

View Full Version : stripped torsion bar anchor...HELP!

'Balmer
06-24-2009, 04:01 PM
The torsion bar anchor on my LCA stripped out a couple of weeks ago and I need to replace it. Has anyone else had this issue?

I've removed the torsion bar from the LCA anchor and this afternoon I'm going to try to remove the anchor from the LCA (three bolts n' nuts - not captive nuts either). I'm not sure that I'll be able to get new bolts through the LCA if one or more of them should break - there seems to be very little clearance between the LCA and the crossmember to which it is mounted. Do I need to remove the LCA in this case?

Also I noticed that the splines of the torsion bar were only engaed about 40% of the way into the anchor (about 3/8" of a possible 1" or so). Is this normal??? It sems to me that the splines should be almost entirely engaged with just a bit of play for expansion and shrinkage as well as enevitable fore and aft movement within the chasis. Should I plate the LCA behind the anchor to bring the anchor back another 1/4"-3/8" to allow more engagement?

Any input is appreciated on this one...I'm doing a SAS over this winter so the less time, effort and $$$ into the damn IFS, the better!

Apathy
06-24-2009, 04:04 PM
The torsion bar anchor on my LCA stripped out a couple of weeks ago and I need to replace it. Has anyone else had this issue?

I've removed the torsion bar from the LCA anchor and this afternoon I'm going to try to remove the anchor from the LCA (three bolts n' nuts - not captive nuts either). I'm not sure that I'll be able to get new bolts through the LCA if one or more of them should break - there seems to be very little clearance between the LCA and the crossmember to which it is mounted. Do I need to remove the LCA in this case?

Also I noticed that the splines of the torsion bar were only engaed about 40% of the way into the anchor (about 3/8" of a possible 1" or so). Is this normal??? It sems to me that the splines should be almost entirely engaged with just a bit of play for expansion and shrinkage as well as enevitable fore and aft movement within the chasis. Should I plate the LCA behind the anchor to bring the anchor back another 1/4"-3/8" to allow more engagement?

Any input is appreciated on this one...I'm doing a SAS over this winter so the less time, effort and $$$ into the damn IFS, the better!

they should be insterted all the way, not only 3/8".

I'm honestly not that good with the IFS stuff, but if you are stuck and somthing is needed let me know, I have an entire IFS front end and i'm comming up to BC on sunday.

'Balmer
06-24-2009, 04:08 PM
Ya, if you want to bring a torsion bar and the drivers side LCA I'd take 'em off your hands! I'm helping out Bryan (theborges) with his SAS on Sunday at his place in M.Ridge. I'll PM ya, maybe we can hook up?

Apathy
06-24-2009, 04:14 PM
let me see what i have.. I might have tossed the torsion bars..
I do have the LCA though.

I' work, i'll take a peek tonight

'Balmer
06-24-2009, 04:18 PM
cool thanks man! The LCA is the most important thing..the splines on the torsion bar are only slightly damaged - the anchor is totally stripped.

'Balmer
06-25-2009, 12:26 PM
I wound up having to pull BOTH T-Bars AND the cross-member to which they are mounted as the adjusters are SERIOUSLY SIEZED on and will not come off! So now I need to replace the whole deal as a unit...including the 1 new LCA anchor.
The passenger side T-bar was engaged with about 1/8" of spline showing, just as you said it should be. The grooves in BOTH adjusters were in the correct positions and the C-clip was installed, in the corect position, on both adjusters. Seems weird to me that the drivers side could have been backed out so far given that all the reference points lined up?
I guess I'll just be very aware of the spline depth when replacing the bars and if there's a descrepancy I'll make up some kind of spacer that brings the anchor aft about 3/8" and install the bolts reversed as you suggested. It's only a few more months 'till it's off the road for SASing anyhow!

kamloopsyota
06-25-2009, 01:14 PM
shitty deal man, i may have found a parts pathy that i mostly wanted engine and rear stuff/body panels doors ya know. if it works out and you havent replaced all yer junk then ill have some in kamloops if you'd like. ill let ya know once i look at the beater haha