PDA

View Full Version : steering issues

keegs
06-22-2009, 10:20 AM
ive been gettin major death wobble driving down the road and hittin small bumps in the road doing about 70kph. i checked the steering components and they are all tight. so im just wondering if it could be wheel bearings or something else, any help would be much appreciated, thank you,

keegs

Apathy
06-22-2009, 10:27 AM
http://www.funinbc.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1424151&posted=1#post1424151

Happypants
06-22-2009, 10:30 AM
what kind of jeep? xj,tj,yj,wj,jk,zj?

i recently had the same issues coming bcak from e.harrison and i thought that it was my wheelbearings, turns out it was a combination of things, my drag link TRE was fucked, steering box shaft (not the sector shaft) had 2" of play in it and the u-joints were fucked in it, and my track bar was a bit loose, have someone turn the wheel back and forth quickly and if you hear creaking sounds its prolly your steering shaft, otherwise you will be able to see the track bar/steering kind of slopping around in front of the axle,

keegs
06-22-2009, 10:55 AM
its a 99 tj, and i also noticed my steering is a lot sloppier then before as well, and thanks again, and thank you pathy, i was gonna say something in that thread, but i didn't want to hijack that other thread, lol, thanks again guys

bryceyoda
06-22-2009, 11:29 AM
i hear that creaking noise with my xj i thought it was a jeep thing

what kind of jeep? xj,tj,yj,wj,jk,zj?

i recently had the same issues coming bcak from e.harrison and i thought that it was my wheelbearings, turns out it was a combination of things, my drag link TRE was fucked, steering box shaft (not the sector shaft) had 2" of play in it and the u-joints were fucked in it, and my track bar was a bit loose, have someone turn the wheel back and forth quickly and if you hear creaking sounds its prolly your steering shaft, otherwise you will be able to see the track bar/steering kind of slopping around in front of the axle,

keegs
06-22-2009, 12:38 PM
wahoo problem solved, stupid me, it was the track bar to frame mount bolt. it had come loose so i just retorqued it, simple and cheap fix. one more reminder to always check your bolts, my bad. thanks again guys for all your help,

keegs

Happypants
06-22-2009, 03:01 PM
i hear that creaking noise with my xj i thought it was a jeep thing

i always thought it was fuck all also, untill i could turn the steering wheel half way without the tires turning, while i had the box off and putting the new shaft in i made myself a steering box brace and plated the frame on the drivers side for extra strenth, works great and steers like its brand new, even without a steering stabilizer