PDA

View Full Version : Traction Bars

RAW
06-22-2009, 09:24 AM
I am getting a really bad death wobble and I have been told that I need a set of traction bars to stop it. I found what seems like a really good source of instruction to build your own. Can some of the more experienced users go over the instructions and let me know if this design will work for me? Or should I just buy a set of traction bars?

Here is the link to the instructions.
http://home.comcast.net/~t.molnar/TractionBar1.htm

Apathy
06-22-2009, 09:34 AM
that will not correct death wobble.

death wobble is when your front end starts ocilating due to several factors.
the primary one being your TRACK bar, or PAN hard bar (same thing,differnt name)

That one will only control axle wrap.
Track bar for that link, is not the correct term, Anti wrap bar is what it should be called.

so, no if you have death wobble, that will not cure it, won't even help a little bit.

RAW
06-22-2009, 09:45 AM
OK thank you, since it looks as if I am mixed up in the terms I will explain the problem.

When on the road, driving straight, (20 km to about 50 km per hour) the whole front end starts to shake. Not all the time but it happens frequently and is happening more and more often with the problem getting worse. It seems as if the wheels are shaking back and fourth violently. When I slow down it gets better and I can go another few KM without it happening again but starts up again.

I havent checked the tightness of the bolts in that area yet, could be the problem... Working on the truck over the last few weeks doing other stuff and thought that this time would be best used to ask the experts.

Pegleg
06-22-2009, 09:51 AM
yup what pathy said!!!

RAW
06-22-2009, 10:02 AM
Thx, found this Wikipedia page that explains what a Panhead Rod is for those who read this in the future with the same problem that I am having.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panhard_rod

Apathy
06-22-2009, 10:26 AM
Thx, found this Wikipedia page that explains what a Panhead Rod is for those who read this in the future with the same problem that I am having.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panhard_rod

yes,
Check your track bar ends (pan hard) I don't know if yours uses bushings or a Tie rod end type of connection, but I would start here.

These bushings, or ends (depending on your setup) is the Number 1 cause of death wobble.

kamloopsyota
06-22-2009, 10:36 AM
even from the ass end??? im getting death wobble now too on my 90 pathfinder but pan hards on the rear? i guess to fix would just be some new bushings?

Apathy
06-22-2009, 10:41 AM
yup.. you gotta pan hard in the back of your pathfinder!

yes, you can get new bushings, this is not abnormal in a high milage pathy, with trail miles

Troy
06-22-2009, 11:00 AM
can be more than a panhard bushing

wheel bearings, upper and lower balljoints, bent rim, loose tie rod ends, pitman arm could be loose, steering box could be loose etc

anything and everything to do with the front end and steering has to have a good going over before you start throwing new parts in the truck

theborges
06-22-2009, 10:24 PM
can be more than a panhard bushing

wheel bearings, upper and lower balljoints, bent rim, loose tie rod ends, pitman arm could be loose, steering box could be loose etc

anything and everything to do with the front end and steering has to have a good going over before you start throwing new parts in the truck

yes, check all the bushings, joints, and moving parts on your front end. dont waste money replacing things unless you know you need too

epic3
06-22-2009, 11:02 PM
waste lots of money replace it all

Spedley
06-22-2009, 11:16 PM
It sounds stupid, but are your tires balanced?

Bigsexy
06-23-2009, 12:43 AM
i had same prob.. but it was on my f150,, ended up replacing everything troy mentions..fixd it for a lil bit but from driving with death wobble constantly it wore my Tsl's wierd and then the wobble started up again.. had to get a new set of tires aswell.. goodluck on the fix [cheers]