PDA

View Full Version : looking for ranger pointers

bcmaxx
06-15-2009, 12:46 PM
I have a friend, she wants to lift her 96 ranger 4wd, We are looking at a rough country 4" kit with leafs and nitro shocks for $800, is there anything else we should be upgrading?Front end fairly stout? she's looking to run 31-32 inch tires. Or maybe someone can recommend a different lift? any tips would be very much welcome,thanks!

98ranger
06-15-2009, 12:59 PM
Rough Country is kinda the cheaper end of the lifts out there. Skyjacker makes a nice 4 inch I think. Front end is not all that stout, but if your running 32's you will be fine. It is a D35 front end.

Get a set of Warn Jeep hubs as well, they are going to last alot longer that those POS Ford ones.

Is she running the 4.0? or the 3.0? Manual or auto?

bcmaxx
06-15-2009, 02:22 PM
Rough Country is kinda the cheaper end of the lifts out there. Skyjacker makes a nice 4 inch I think. Front end is not all that stout, but if your running 32's you will be fine. It is a D35 front end.

Get a set of Warn Jeep hubs as well, they are going to last alot longer that those POS Ford ones.

Is she running the 4.0? or the 3.0? Manual or auto?

d35 eh? I yanked a d35 from the rear of my jeep just from hearing about them, Its a 4.0 ,what kind of hubs? my xj has no hubs on it. Rough country lift because I can get a deal, and someone told me skyjacker coils are like running with front shocks welded. You guys swap in different front ends?

Reeseman
06-15-2009, 05:05 PM
d35 eh? I yanked a d35 from the rear of my jeep just from hearing about them, Its a 4.0 ,what kind of hubs? my xj has no hubs on it. Rough country lift because I can get a deal, and someone told me skyjacker coils are like running with front shocks welded. You guys swap in different front ends?
Well why didnt you get a 8.8 from a ranger it is stronger.

bcmaxx
06-15-2009, 05:50 PM
Well why didnt you get a 8.8 from a ranger it is stronger.

I did in my xj, 8.8 lsd.

What kind of jeep hubs can we put on her ranger? sorry, out of the ford loop

fordpower
06-15-2009, 10:00 PM
Rough country is ok for what she will use it for. I had 33's on my 92 Danger with 6" lift. It worked fine. Dana 35 will run up to 33''s . Depends on how you wheel.... Just get a set of warn manual hubs, If you have auto's. If not the manuals you have should be fine. They are a great truck. auto or manual T-case?:D

bcmaxx
06-15-2009, 10:54 PM
Rough country is ok for what she will use it for. I had 33's on my 92 Danger with 6" lift. It worked fine. Dana 35 will run up to 33''s . Depends on how you wheel.... Just get a set of warn manual hubs, If you have auto's. If not the manuals you have should be fine. They are a great truck. auto or manual T-case?:D

,hey thanks for that!it has stock manuals, stupid auto case, sometimes a little slow going into 4 lo. She had an incident where she accidentally, momentarily became airborne, and came back down with the wheels spinning and took out the intermediate shaft and u-joint. She wanted to sell it and buy a ifs 1500 chev.I told her shes better off with what shes got for what she wants to do, and that her incident isnt a typical break. Someone told her its a weak front end and not to use it offroad

fordpower
06-16-2009, 06:53 AM
Its not that weak. It can take a beating. Is a good choice to keep it. the only upgrade would be a manual T-case. & breaking the front u-joint like that happens to everyone. I did it on my dana 44. lots of spinning and coming to a fast stop means something has to break.... Cheers:party0010:

Crack
06-16-2009, 09:33 AM
With just 32's she'll be fine. I had a ranger with a 6" lift and 31's I wheeled for years. Never blew up any axles. Mostly just engine problems when I'd get stupid at stave.
If she's going to get rid of it for anything it should be a toyota

98ranger
06-16-2009, 03:25 PM
With just 32's she'll be fine. I had a ranger with a 6" lift and 31's I wheeled for years. Never blew up any axles. Mostly just engine problems when I'd get stupid at stave.
If she's going to get rid of it for anything it should be a toyota

I couldnt have sad it better. I am running 32's on my ranger right now, and the front end has held up fine. My CV's are starting to go now, but that is probably because they are 11 years old. But with those TTB setups, they are normally good for 33's, but that is depending again on how you wheel.

Have fun with it, I think they are perfect for the trails we have around here. They are nice and light, narrow, and a half decent wheelbase/COG

StinkFinger
06-16-2009, 09:05 PM
i have a 94 with a 4" bds and 33 12.5's and i love the way it rides and i havent broken shit yet and i beat on every thing and run er high speed threw the bush .the tiers do rub a little on the radius arms and at full stuff but not bad enouh that i would run any thing smaller also there on stock rims so some thing with a litle off set would help

Troy
06-16-2009, 11:13 PM
i wouldnt go any bigger than 32 ish tires if its daily driven... unless its got 4.10 gears.

if its going to be beat hard, tack weld the front U joint caps into the axle shaft so they don't pop out and destroy the axle shafts.

ive been beating on a dana 28 (older,smaller front end) for 8 months now and i've been through 6 or 7 sets of axle shafts. havent gone through any after i tack welded the u joint caps in. but i did blow a hole in the diff and mangle the gears but thats another story.

Happypants
06-16-2009, 11:29 PM
I have a friend, she wants to lift her 96 ranger 4wd, We are looking at a rough country 4" kit with leafs and nitro shocks for $800, is there anything else we should be upgrading?Front end fairly stout? she's looking to run 31-32 inch tires. Or maybe someone can recommend a different lift? any tips would be very much welcome,thanks!

step #1-pour gas on ford
step #2-light match
step #3-throw match
step #4-get insurance money
step #5-buy jeep
:D

loneranger
06-22-2009, 02:33 PM

trade it in and get a newer ranger u can get one that has 31 inch tires stock then if she wants to spend money on it sas it

bcmaxx
06-22-2009, 06:16 PM
step #1-pour gas on ford
step #2-light match
step #3-throw match
step #4-get insurance money
step #5-buy jeep
:D

Thanks,But she wants to keep the ford, I couldnt talk her into a jeep and she wants a box for the dirtbike. Commanches are hard to find here and if you do they are more swiss cheese than a jeep

Happypants
06-23-2009, 01:42 PM
mmmm cheeeeeseeee