PDA

View Full Version : Rear Wheel Bearings

JACKNIFE
06-02-2009, 04:15 PM
so i've gotta do the rear wheel bearings in my girlfriends yj and the haynes is telling me there are 2 kinds. one it says just take it to the dealer or shop and get them to pull the bearing and seal. the other says i need some fancy puller on account of them being pressed in.
i've not done rear bearings before but figured they cant be that difficult.

so first question is can the job be done without the puller?

if it cant be done without does anyone on here have one and would be willing to lend it out for an afternoon?

theborges
06-02-2009, 05:40 PM
well most likely can be done with basic puller tools. have you pulled anything apart yet or just doing some research

JACKNIFE
06-02-2009, 06:50 PM
just some research

but i found a buddy that figures hes got something that will work

tag92yj
06-02-2009, 08:08 PM
There are 2 types of bearings,c-clip and non c-clip axles.Early YJ's had non c-clip,bearings on axle shaft with bolt on retainer,don't have to pull the cover.C-clip axle has the bearing in the housing.

dh_4_ever
06-03-2009, 11:05 AM
having a die grinder and a rotory file can really help to remove it, if it wants to fight. you die grind the outer bearing race then use a hammer or slide hammer onit. dont go all the way through just 90% it should crack.

Happypants
06-03-2009, 03:34 PM
chances are its a non c-clip axle, gotta pull the shafts and cut the bearings off, most shops will press on a new bearing and seal for ya for close to nothing, some places will also soak ya to do it lol, but if its a c-clip axle, just pull the axle shafts, and use a slide hammer or the end of the axle shaft to pop em out then put new ones in, its easier than it looks

JACKNIFE
06-03-2009, 03:43 PM
thanks for the help i'll tell you how it goes