PDA

View Full Version : dodge transmissions????

fresh
05-25-2009, 08:49 PM
i would like to hear every bodys input on dodge trannys, i would like manual trans, how bad are the autos? im planning on lots of towing, the 6 spds? the older style 03 i think, how bad are they? just looking around so would like to hear wut everybody thinks...[cheers]

DeeDee
05-25-2009, 10:37 PM
they r f-ing expensive when u have to replace them[16]

bforce
05-25-2009, 10:58 PM
the 6 speed manuals were pretty solid. The new (08+) 6 spd autobox is pretty beefy too from what I gather. Avoid the 02-08 autos if you plan on adding power, 75 ft/lbs more is all they will take before they will calf on ya.

I'm guessing this is all for a diesel.

Explorer guy418
05-25-2009, 11:06 PM
JUNK.... get a chev duramax..or a 7.3 . duramax highly recommended

bforce
05-26-2009, 01:01 PM
in 03 they had the 5.9 even the 24 valve is better than any durmax (some props to the LBZ and newer) The new 6.7 cummins is a POS unless you drive alotta highway miles, you won't see any benefit.

fresh
05-26-2009, 08:33 PM
cummins is tried and true daryl,,, i wonder if the duramax will follow suite, to early to jump to such conclusions, yes diesel, im asking about the transmissions not the trucks.

kootenaycat
05-26-2009, 10:19 PM
I've got an '04 2500 Hemi and hate the auto transmission, well not the tranny but the way the PCM controls the shifts. Dodge really screwed up on this one. There is no way of controlling O/D, it only has a tow/haul button. In tow/haul it locks up the torque sooner which is fine for hauling but then it still allows it to go into (the first) O/D, so when it does it falls on it's face. Then going downhill in tow/haul it will decide when it wants to drop from O/D to drive and if I am on the gas a little going down certain mountain passes it upshifts when I don't want it to. A diesel would probably be alright, enough torque to run around in O/D but not the Hemi - this motor has no torque below about 2800rpm.

Just drove an '08 Cummins with the new 6 speed auto, what a treat! They finally put some driver control into it with a small rocker switch on the shifter which allows you to control all 6 speeds, sweet! :D

If I had it my way, I would own a '03 - '05 Cummins with a 6 speed manual but the wife can't drive a standard which would leave me being the designated driver all the time. [16] :D

crazydude
05-26-2009, 10:48 PM
I got an 01 ram with a 360 gas like the motor but hate the shift patterns for the tranny but it does put up with the abuse I give it knock on wood.

Explorer guy418
05-26-2009, 11:02 PM
jon i know nothing from with a cummins.. but i stil say duramax and allison.. the dodge trannys are garbage

bakelite
05-27-2009, 09:03 AM
318,000 kms on my 92 automatic.....still cooks along just fine. I think the secret is to keep them fairly stock. Slow going into OD when it's cold out but I think that's normal.

bforce
05-27-2009, 01:16 PM
jon i know nothing from with a cummins.. but i stil say duramax and allison.. the dodge trannys are garbage

Again, depends on what transmission...

The G56 6 spd manual is a beast that will last as long as the cummins

The gas pots 545RFE / 454RFE on the 1500s are crap. Along with the 5 sp auto in the 03 - early 08s.

The new 68RFE on the 6.7 is supposed to be pretty damn good.

The allison is an awesome tranny, but you will cook a few durcraps in the meantime. The duramax is still a very unproven engine, the cummins is a notorius million mile engine, espeically the 5.9.

So all in all, if you are looking at the 03, get a 6 speed, nothing else. Unless you are gonna go with an new one with the 68FRE and the 6.7, but they get crap for gas mileage and still need tp be proven...

fresh
05-27-2009, 09:34 PM
6.7s can fuck off, if i find a good deal on a duramax who knows whats gonna happen, i just like the cummins not the trucks, to bad i wasnt bored or id make a for cummins with allison.

Lynx
05-30-2009, 10:46 PM
I got an 05' with 150,000 kms and just needed a rebuild. Was around 3 grand for a rebuild but done under warrenty.

vajayjay
05-30-2009, 11:50 PM
I've got an '04 2500 Hemi and hate the auto transmission, well not the tranny but the way the PCM controls the shifts. Dodge really screwed up on this one. There is no way of controlling O/D, it only has a tow/haul button. In tow/haul it locks up the torque sooner which is fine for hauling but then it still allows it to go into (the first) O/D, so when it does it falls on it's face. Then going downhill in tow/haul it will decide when it wants to drop from O/D to drive and if I am on the gas a little going down certain mountain passes it upshifts when I don't want it to. A diesel would probably be alright, enough torque to run around in O/D but not the Hemi - this motor has no torque below about 2800rpm.

Just drove an '08 Cummins with the new 6 speed auto, what a treat! They finally put some driver control into it with a small rocker switch on the shifter which allows you to control all 6 speeds, sweet! :D

If I had it my way, I would own a '03 - '05 Cummins with a 6 speed manual but the wife can't drive a standard which would leave me being the designated driver all the time. [16] :D

I agree I've got an 04 1500 hemi auto
don"t like the tow/haul feature

fresh
05-31-2009, 12:35 AM
dont care about the hemi non sense, just looking for diesel tranny info, doin lotsa towing

ShuswapRedneck
06-01-2009, 10:00 AM
first gen trannies are not very good. The Getrag 5 speed doesn't handle power additions very well, and the auto is only a 3 speed. That being said, as long as you don't abuse it, and change the oil FREQUENTLY as the Getrag has a dry sump system for oiling, as opposed to splash bath like most standard transmissions, it should last almost as long as the engine. The NV4500 in the second genration is a great transmission and will handle a fair amount of power with longevity, the auto matic is no good. The 6 speed is even better than the 5 speed and will give you an extra low first gear for starting off when towing. The top speed is the same, as the direct (1:1) is now your 5th gear instead of 4th. The 03 and newer auto is by far the best trans Dodge has come out with. The Cummins in newer years with the automatic trans actually has more power than the standards as well, as the tranny can take more power than the 6 speed can.

forkliftech74
06-02-2009, 08:21 PM
Good post ^^^^^^

I have a 98 2500, with the NV4500 tranny (5 speed) ,and I can say its awsome. Its fully Syncroed 1-5 and reverse too. It has a real deep 1 gear ( 4.56) I think, and most Important ITS CAST IRON not alluminum. There were some years which had problems with 5th gear falling off in the diesels due to Vibration, but I think it was a dealer re-call. Driving with this tranny is real nice, smooth and tight. just my 2 cents

Fork

fresh
06-08-2009, 08:58 PM
im looking at a 99 diesel, is that a nv4500? yes its manuel. im really not interested in autos

Honky
06-08-2009, 09:32 PM
I have a 2006 Dodge 2500 with an auto and it's going in for work on the tranny tomorrow. it hesitates going into 2nd gear

ShuswapRedneck
06-09-2009, 07:45 PM
yes, it's an NV4500

BTW, great parts source:

http://quad4x4.com/NV4500%20transmission%20.htm

MudRam
06-13-2009, 11:49 AM
Ive got an 01 cummins HO with the 5 speed manual, wish it was a six!!!,if your going to tow lots, manual is the only way to go, unless you got mega $$$$ for tranny upgrades....heat is the killer for autos because they always have some coverter slippage under load ie: pulling hills.....with a manual theres no slippage so heat is not an issue they also get better milage, the only thing to watch out for, with a manual is, if you put in a chip, you should upgrade the clutch, or be carfull [cheers]

Shane