PDA

View Full Version : Hockey puck body lift

'Balmer
05-25-2009, 11:37 AM
I went to visit a friend of mine on the weekend who helped me weld on a new shock mount that i had torn off. we got to talking about my upcoming body lift and he swears by the ol' hockey puck method.

His reasoning, he says, is that most body lift kits he's seen are poorly put together at best - confusing/incomplete instructions and parts that often need to be moded.

He says that hockey pucks are hard enough, but not too hard, and easy to mod...outer diameter can be changed with a hole saw and inner can be drilled to whatever size you want.

He says beyond the pucks themselves and the drill and hole saw to adjust them, all you need is some fuel filler hose and a way to adjust your rad shroud...assuming the lines can all be stretched.

Although this sounds really redneck, I don't see a lot of downsides - any insite would be appreciated.

mus-Tard
05-25-2009, 11:52 AM
l got the kit but l had to make some new body mounts that l used pucks for. worked fine for me.

yoda thrills
05-25-2009, 11:56 AM
seen it done on a pathfinder
worked fine...
we didnt use fuel filler hose but thats a good idear

Troy
05-25-2009, 12:01 PM
His reasoning, he says, is that most body lift kits he's seen are poorly put together at best - confusing/incomplete instructions and parts that often need to be moded

ive put a few body lifts in and they are all pretty straight forward and usually have all the parts.

how can you expect anything that is a "bolt on" kit to actually bolt right in, it never is whether you have to make some tabs or drill some new holes or whatever. sounds like your friend doesn't know what he's talking about. the kits are what, $100

and if you have to make some extra body mounts or box mount blocks, make them out of steel pipe or tube not hockey pucks that will crack and rot out:mad0215:

'Balmer
05-25-2009, 12:06 PM
The kit is about 200.00 taxes in and takes up to 4 weeks to get. That's my biggest issue - the waiting. You think the pucks are too weak? I'm told that if they're not over tightened they're ok. I thought anything I added body mount wise had to have some degree of flex - no?

Vastier
05-25-2009, 12:07 PM
[iagree]
It's not worth the hassle making your own. Get the proper stuff. They'll keep the body sitting where it's supposed to and save you a headache later on.

xtremeyj
05-25-2009, 12:10 PM
If you use hockey pucks and get a VI it will fail.

Troy
05-25-2009, 12:12 PM
i'd wait for the kit if you really want to do the body lift. im guessing your putting it in a pathfinder so you probably should get all the body lift pucks with the kit. on pickups sometimes people like to add a couple solid steel mounts underneath the box as there is usually space for a couple extra ones that the kit doesnt come with.

most kits come with body pucks, grade 5 nuts&bolts, steering shaft extension, fan shroud drop tabs, raised bumper brackets for the front that usually are junk anyways.

don't be surprised if you have to cut some body bolts out if they are rusted in or seized.

'Balmer
05-25-2009, 12:14 PM
If you use hockey pucks and get a VI it will fail.

Good point.

'Balmer
05-25-2009, 12:14 PM
Damn I hate waiting!!!

curlee
05-25-2009, 12:25 PM
Where did you order from?

'Balmer
05-25-2009, 12:36 PM
I was going to get one from JCwhitney.com but B from Jeep Thrills has one waiting so it's a go asap!!! Hooray!!!

'Balmer
05-25-2009, 12:39 PM
Evidently body lifts for pathfinders are not meant for auto trans vehicles. Anyone know what I'll have to do to make it work?

Apathy
05-25-2009, 12:59 PM
i don't have any issues iwth my body lift.
check out npora they will ahve the answer for the auto tranny

dirka dave
05-25-2009, 01:01 PM
I have a 3" lift in my 82' Toy, it solved all my clearance issues.

dh_4_ever
05-25-2009, 02:07 PM
when i did a body lift on an auto s10 I had to weld an extention on the trani shifter rod. is yours cable or mechanical rod?

Kraqa
05-25-2009, 04:23 PM
body lifts are ghey.

yoda thrills
05-25-2009, 04:30 PM
body lifts are ghey.

shit happens

Gaybait
05-25-2009, 05:39 PM
Evidently body lifts for pathfinders are not meant for auto trans vehicles. Anyone know what I'll have to do to make it work?

they probally just say that because when u lift your body up your shifter wont stay in the console it'll go beneath the floor. Friend of mine just cut out his floor a bit and made a new console for the "short shifter" automatic oh yeah

youngun
05-25-2009, 05:41 PM
I made a 2" body lift for my truck, but when it came down to it the studs on the body were too short so i put a hockey puck on top of it. Passed a VI and has been on the road for 3 years, no rotting at all

'Balmer
05-25-2009, 06:47 PM
Cool, I'm surprized it passed though. Were the pucks recognizable as such or were they cut with a hole saw or something so they didn't look like pucks?

'Balmer
05-25-2009, 06:49 PM
when i did a body lift on an auto s10 I had to weld an extention on the trani shifter rod. is yours cable or mechanical rod?

Mines cable and someone on NPORA told me there's no issue at all - the cable is plenty long enough. I guess lots of guys with autos have done a body lift with no problems. Good news for me.

FU Toolbag
05-25-2009, 10:16 PM
Are you puting in one or 3 to get 3 inches. If you stackem, give yourself a smack in the back o your head. Stacked will fail, and should. Heavy jarring will cause them to rack, sliding your cab wherever it wants to go. one puck, no problem. Many pucks, many problems.

youngun
05-25-2009, 10:19 PM
the pucks i have are not stacked. they are still hockey pucks, have canada writen on the side. all i did was drill a hole in the puck and bolt it in

Troy
05-25-2009, 10:45 PM
body lifts are ghey.

i agree,

but the only reason i can understand why people do body lifts, is for clearance issues on full bodied vehicles with motor swaps, tranny swaps etc it just makes it alot nicer to work on.

i did a 1.5'' in my fullsize ford for clearance problems with my doubler. not because i needed the extra 1.5'' lift

know what im saaaaaaayin maw fucka (jroc voice)

mus-Tard
05-25-2009, 10:54 PM
the reason l did my body lift is that the box was being replaced any way and needed a few body mounts and makes pulling the tranny soooooo much easer or gas tanks or other things. so it was kinda a what the hell. why not?
the pucks worked great for my situation. still had to fab up some steal to go with it and crap but the bolts that came in the lift kit have about 3 threads sticking out of the nut once torqued and the doors dont pinch the fenders at all. (front body mounts)

D-Ass
05-25-2009, 11:43 PM
I like silicone lifts makes things nice and perky oh yeah

barracuda
05-26-2009, 08:16 AM
seen the pucks crack and split after a few years. dont know what they are made of now but they were not the mosr durable item. body lifts or just purchaseing the resin blocks are cheap ,just put up an add wanting the resin block on a few 4x4 sites and see what comes up and then fab the rest.

KINGCRUISER
05-26-2009, 08:25 AM
I like silicone lifts makes things nice and perky oh yeah

YaBoobies2Boobies2, but i used some greeen 3" UMHV, cheap and its the same or better then the spacers provided by kits. PLus you can cut it any darn length you want:confused0006:

'Balmer
05-26-2009, 09:50 AM
YaBoobies2Boobies2, but i used some greeen 3" UMHV, cheap and its the same or better then the spacers provided by kits. PLus you can cut it any darn length you want:confused0006:

What's UMHV?

FU Toolbag
05-26-2009, 06:17 PM
What's UMHV?

Plastic

body lifts are sometimes needed. I put one in my mega crew to clear the ctd. It wouldn't fit without some real massaging of the firewall, tunnel and front crossmember. Was just easier. It'll also let me put in bigger fuel tanks.

bakelite
05-27-2009, 08:14 AM
Princess Auto boat trailer rollers? Pre-drilled, cut to length, no stacking. I have pucks in my Landcruiser from the previous owner, they are cracking but I don't know how long they have been in there.

If you choose to use UHMW I would contact these guys and ask which product would work best for your application. http://www.redwoodplastics.com/index.php?content=products_UHMW

We use a lot of this stuff at work, there are different kinds.

North49
05-27-2009, 10:07 AM
sounds kinda sketchy to me......I decided not to install the 3" body lift I bought, I'll wait and get lift properly

'Balmer
05-27-2009, 11:07 AM
Princess Auto boat trailer rollers? Pre-drilled, cut to length, no stacking. I have pucks in my Landcruiser from the previous owner, they are cracking but I don't know how long they have been in there.

If you choose to use UHMW I would contact these guys and ask which product would work best for your application. http://www.redwoodplastics.com/index.php?content=products_UHMW

We use a lot of this stuff at work, there are different kinds.

Good info. Thanks for the help.

Apathy
05-27-2009, 04:20 PM
body lifts are ghey.

for the most part yes you are correct.

but on the pathfinders the body sits so low you pretty much have to.
the front tires are really close to the doors. You can't do a suspension lift that will let you run 33" tires, its just too close. so the body lift is mandetory.

the performance accessories kit i got was 79 bucks us, and everyhting went smoothly. there is a totla of 10 block (IIRC) in the pathfinder lift
I have had no issues with my body lift and i wail on my rig. (just check them for tightness periodically.

hardbodies are a litt easier to lift with susepnsion because th boddy sits 2" higher off hte frame than the pathfinder.

Troy
05-27-2009, 05:16 PM
Princess Auto boat trailer rollers? Pre-drilled, cut to length, no stacking.

done that already

i had some on the front core support mounts, they eventually dried out and cracked, then they lit on fire as i was cutting everything out a couple weeks ago[36]