PDA

View Full Version : CHECK ENGINE

wilding
05-14-2009, 04:15 PM
did the timing on my 22re and have been driving it for a couple hundred kms at most and then the check engine light came on. checked it out today, its reading 21for the oxygen sensor. i also checked out the spark plugs and they look in rough shape, symptoms seem like preignition.
since i never tuned the timing with a gun, could this be fixed by retarding the timing a bit, using a timing gun to dial everything in properly, replacing the plugs and leaving in the old o2 sensor if everything reads okay after?
unfortunately i never saw the plugs before i did the timing so i do not know if the plugs were recently damaged or not.
thanks

redman
05-14-2009, 05:16 PM
I use black electrical tape over the lights every time works great [5]

epic3
05-14-2009, 05:50 PM
replace the O2 sensor plugs and check your timing. O2 sensors are meant to be replaced approx every 80-100000kms

Toyquad
05-18-2009, 08:48 AM
did the timing on my 22re and have been driving it for a couple hundred kms at most and then the check engine light came on. checked it out today, its reading 21for the oxygen sensor. i also checked out the spark plugs and they look in rough shape, symptoms seem like preignition.
since i never tuned the timing with a gun, could this be fixed by retarding the timing a bit, using a timing gun to dial everything in properly, replacing the plugs and leaving in the old o2 sensor if everything reads okay after?
unfortunately i never saw the plugs before i did the timing so i do not know if the plugs were recently damaged or not.
thanks

why not? you had to remove the dist. to re&re the timming chain.

replace plugs, set the timming, then test the o2