PDA

View Full Version : Grand Cherokee coils

'Balmer
05-14-2009, 01:56 PM
Can I use stock Grand Cherokee coils to lift the rear of my '90 pathfinder? If so, how much lift will I get? Are there any other stock coils that swap in and provide about 1" - 2" of lift? I'm looking for a cheap junk yard mod.

Apathy
05-15-2009, 07:53 AM
grand cherokee, (v8) will provide a 3" lift.

You willl need new Upper control arms in the front to make it match.

'Balmer
05-16-2009, 09:40 AM
I wound up getting 2" spacers instead. What's the deal with the control arms? My torsion bars are cranked as is, would I get a couple more inches with these control arms? If so where to get them?

kamloopsyota
05-16-2009, 12:51 PM
no they just help with your angles when you crank your torsions. try reindexing your torsion bars and getting some of those upper control arms. they are like 200+ though, i think. oh and some new torsion bars, but again....$$$$$$

Apathy
05-18-2009, 09:39 AM
you will only get 1.5-2" with cranking the torsion bars.
The more you crank the torsion bars, the less down travel you will have.
If you crank them too much, the top of your tires will lean in.

'Balmer
05-19-2009, 11:30 AM
They were pretty much topped out when I got the rig. I went to crank 'em up and discovered this unfortunate circumstance. Since I'm going to do a SAS next year I'm not looking to spend much - i'm broke after buying tires this weekend. The only real problem I have with the front now is that at full stuff my tires squash against the inner body hard enough to stop all forward movement, and backward for that matter. Time for extended bumpstops i guess.

kamloopsyota
05-19-2009, 11:51 AM
try reindexing the torsion bars

'Balmer
05-19-2009, 12:03 PM
How do you do that?

Apathy
05-19-2009, 12:17 PM
re-indexing will only allow you to crank them more.

If you are already maxed out and your tires are starting to lean in at top, it willnot do any good.

'Balmer
05-19-2009, 12:40 PM
I don't notice any camber issues, would it be realistic to re-index them and crank them untill there is a noticable difference in camber and then back them off a bit? Since they were cranked already, and given that I'll go with a body lift, would this just be a waste of time? I really should condense all my recent threads into one!

Apathy
05-19-2009, 01:12 PM
I think you should do a body lift first.

Look under where your torsion bars attach (under transfer case), is the bolt screwed all the way in? are the 2 points touching? or can you screw the bolt in further? if you can still screw it in, don't bother with re-indexing them

'Balmer
05-19-2009, 01:33 PM
They're touching - no more room whatsoever.

kamloopsyota
05-19-2009, 05:36 PM
http://npora.ipbhost.com//index.php?showtopic=17038&hl=reindex

'Balmer
05-20-2009, 11:06 AM
Wow, great thread thanks for the heads up. I feel kinda stupid since I'm also on NPORA, Probably should have found it myself! I guess I'll try going a couple more splines, making sure there's no apparent camber change. 2" body lift is in the works when I can afford it too, along with G. cherokee coils so I'm sure I'll have more than enough clearance.

Apathy
05-20-2009, 11:08 AM
ya, NPORA is pretty good.

watch out what that mzexteme guy tells you though, i've seen him give out bad information. i even called him on it and he told me i was wrong.. Oh well, he can fuck up his own junk

'Balmer
05-20-2009, 11:12 AM
Another good heads up, thanks man. One day we'll have to hit a trail together.

Zibi
05-20-2009, 02:13 PM
NPORA is good but a different mentality. Most of those guys want lifts and mods but want to keep their trucks factory clean. Especially in the R50 section, an idea like cutting your fenders would be frowned upon.

Still a lot of good info on their though, just not much innovation.

kamloopsyota
05-20-2009, 08:16 PM
i just almost maxed out my t-bars today.....she actually sits level..maybe a little higher in the front, my shocks actually work now as well haha. i think im going to have to reindex 2 splines down once i find some coils for the rear. pickin up some 33 9.5's, going to run them on a toyota rim to make up for bein skinny

'Balmer
05-25-2009, 11:33 AM
So I'm having a hard time locating any V8 G. cherokee coils. Anyone got some? Also I'm thinking about just doing a hockey puck body lift for some added clearance.

kamloopsyota
05-25-2009, 12:00 PM
same problem man, except i found some at the wreckers for 90 bucks plus tax........105 taxes in brand new at lordco....still to expensive for me. hey balmer how are you liking it with no rear sway bar?? did you get much extra travel or?

'Balmer
05-25-2009, 12:45 PM
same problem man, except i found some at the wreckers for 90 bucks plus tax........105 taxes in brand new at lordco....still to expensive for me. hey balmer how are you liking it with no rear sway bar?? did you get much extra travel or?

Thanx for the info. That is expensive! I found some this mornig at a wrecker not too far from here...$25.00 a piece, not bad at all!

Yanking the rear swaybar is the most effective "free" mod I've done. The diffence in rear flex is outstanding! On the road it is a little floaty, but nothing scary. Free mods rule!!!

'Balmer
05-25-2009, 01:12 PM
The calamini site suggests adding their "track bar bracket" when using 3" lift rear springs. Anyone know what the deal is with this bracket and if there really is an advantage to using it?

kamloopsyota
05-25-2009, 04:01 PM
if i understood it right, it just drops the track bar down so it works properly, lifting it in stock position must eliminate some of its up and down movements????

'Balmer
05-25-2009, 04:41 PM
Makes sense, I guess it would limit droop in it's stock position.

'Balmer
06-03-2009, 10:42 AM
JGC coils are in! I found some that were .56" thick - this is basically the mid-point between soft ride and lift. I wound up with exactly 2" of lift - .54's will give about 1 - 1 1/2" where as .60's will give 3".

Zibi
06-03-2009, 01:47 PM
You're using the zj coils in the rear or the front?

kamloopsyota
06-03-2009, 09:23 PM
nice, looks like ill be lookin for some .56". would be in the rear zibi

Zibi
06-03-2009, 10:48 PM
cool thanks

Apathy
06-04-2009, 09:02 AM
also due to the geometery , if you measure your rear end with the lift before and after
Your rear end will be farther to the passengers size after the lift than you were before. the drop bracket puts it back where the rear end should be

'Balmer
06-04-2009, 10:42 AM
also due to the geometery , if you measure your rear end with the lift before and after
Your rear end will be farther to the passengers size after the lift than you were before. the drop bracket puts it back where the rear end should be

Ahhh... I see. So do you think it's an easy fab or would I be better just buying the Calmini drop bracket?

'Balmer
06-04-2009, 10:44 AM
You're using the zj coils in the rear or the front?

Coils FROM the FRONT of a ZJ go in the REAR of a pathfinder. The rear ZJ springs are over 3" too short.

'Balmer
06-05-2009, 11:58 AM

I did the measurements yesterday and, yes indeed, the rear axle sits over 1/2" more to the passenger side!
Someone on NPORA said that it would be better to fab up a bracket to raise the axle side of the track bar rather than lower the frame side. The reason being that it would lower my "roll center" and therefore make for less body roll.
Do you go alomg with this? Know anyone who's done it?

Apathy
06-05-2009, 12:04 PM
yes balmer, i agree with this,

fab your own riser on the axle..
don't lower the stock one on the frame. (if you can do the work).

I would, make a bracket that bolts onto the axle using the existing mount.. then weld it on as well.

kamloopsyota
06-05-2009, 01:40 PM
well that just saved me some searching

Apathy
06-05-2009, 01:42 PM
well that just saved me some searching

thats what we're here for.

If i can't answer it, best place is NPORA

kamloopsyota
06-05-2009, 07:46 PM
yeah i finally signed up on there, just did the ecu reading.....no trouble codes at all, im suprised for something i havent really taken care of....maybe i should patch the hole in the floor.....

'Balmer
06-05-2009, 09:09 PM
yeah i finally signed up on there, just did the ecu reading.....no trouble codes at all, im suprised for something i havent really taken care of....maybe i should patch the hole in the floor.....

You only have one hole in your floor! I think I've got you beat by about 13 or so:D .

kamloopsyota
06-07-2009, 11:25 AM
mines right over the exhaust and its like a dirty axe wound. i found some real thick ass sound barrier/heat guard stuff, comes in a roll. im gunna use like 5 layers of that.....not easy welding on rust haha

'Balmer
06-08-2009, 12:10 PM
mines right over the exhaust and its like a dirty axe wound. i found some real thick ass sound barrier/heat guard stuff, comes in a roll. im gunna use like 5 layers of that.....not easy welding on rust haha

Ya, I've got one starting right where my right heel sits - directly above the exhaust. Sucks when wheelin' in sandles! It makes me look forward to my body lift just so I have 2 more inches between my foot and the exhaust. Where did you get a hold of this heat gaurd stuff you speak of? Whats the brand name? Pricey?

kamloopsyota
06-09-2009, 12:02 PM
not at all, its like 20 bucks for a roll. the ol man actually found the stuff, i just took the credit. i have a feeling it may have been at princess auto