PDA

View Full Version : rear bumper q

wilding
05-09-2009, 12:20 PM
how legal -if at all- would it be to box in the end of my frame and incorporate a receiver hitch and use this as my bumper?

thanks

1980supreme
05-09-2009, 12:35 PM
i do believe that trucks don't need rear bumpers legally... but i may be wrong

dirka dave
05-09-2009, 02:11 PM
Trucks DO need bumpers if they were original equipment.

stylus
05-09-2009, 05:01 PM
thats what i did, i like it, if they were to ask i would say it is my bumper, shit its got a hitch. but really, i wouldnt worry.

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/8369/imgp0031sry.jpg (http://img13.imageshack.us/my.php?image=imgp0031sry.jpg)

dirka dave
05-09-2009, 05:05 PM
That won't pass as a bumper.....

stylus
05-09-2009, 05:22 PM
really....

wilding
05-09-2009, 05:24 PM
possibly its fine for a designated crawler but mine is a daily driver..sorta. so i would want to be sure its 100% legal plus i dont wanna tempt police to slap me with a vi.

my stock bumper has got to go since i samshed it real good coming down from eagle awhile back and i would like to replace it as cheaply as possible while still keeping it functional and sexy.
thanks.

ps stylus what did u use to build yours?

stylus
05-09-2009, 05:40 PM
square piece of steel, had a buddy slap that on for me. the hitch was 15$ from u-haul.

if it was a DD maybe i would be worried about, but mine just get permits so what do i care.

heres another pic for ya, i also cut about a foot off the frame.
http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/5766/imgp0029f.jpg (http://img6.imageshack.us/my.php?image=imgp0029f.jpg)

wilding
05-09-2009, 05:51 PM
yeah looks nice, pretty much what i wanted to go for except maybe some more support for the receiver.

i was actually curious as to the dimensions of the steel you used?

thanks guys

rogasm
05-10-2009, 12:10 AM
trucks come with 8 feet of bumper

mus-Tard
05-10-2009, 06:04 PM
grab a pair of thows bumper hoops of an old jeep

SHITTY
05-10-2009, 09:28 PM
looking good . [36]

FU Toolbag
05-10-2009, 11:44 PM
why wouldn't you put the seam in or down? I don't care, but would look a little more stock to a cop, not to mention grind your welds smooth. By the deffinition on the seam I'm guessing it's .125 wall material. If it is it will fold up the first time you you jerk yourself out with it. Triangulate that thing. Odds are you'll be fine especially with the stock crossmember beside it. At least weld them together.

rideonjon
05-11-2009, 12:51 PM
Trucks DO need bumpers if they were original equipment.

not true my truck(86 toyota)is decked with the same style bumper as above welded into the frame (3.5 x2" x3/16"or.187") wall tube,which has pulled out f350's )passed vi no problem.and don't grind your welds it makes them weak.just get better at welding.

stylus
05-11-2009, 03:03 PM
why wouldn't you put the seam in or down? I don't care, but would look a little more stock to a cop, not to mention grind your welds smooth. By the deffinition on the seam I'm guessing it's .125 wall material. If it is it will fold up the first time you you jerk yourself out with it. Triangulate that thing. Odds are you'll be fine especially with the stock crossmember beside it. At least weld them together.

since i didnt do any of the welding, i wouldnt have done anything... its welded at 5 points on each side, so i'll wait and see how long it holds. its really only there to cap the ends of the frame.

dont know metal numbers, but i know a measuring tape, its 1/4" thick.

and is welding to the other crossmember a good idea? i can bend that thing myself.

wilding
05-11-2009, 04:52 PM
if your talking about the round crossmember at the back i'd say replace the whole thing, seen it done on a few builds.

mine is looking pretty rough, there is a pretty good size hole forming with some weird white stuff on the inside, guessing someone messed with it before.

i am thinking of leaving it alone but putting another further back on the chasis so it doubles as a place to mount some shocks for future lift.

i imagine there would be a problem with relocating a crossmember further back since soon the stock one will probably end up like stylus's, so would you advise replacing the stock crossmember even after i have fabbed another further back?

steve604
05-14-2009, 04:15 PM
anything that covers up the frame rails will pass for a bumper. you could use 2x4's if you wanted to.

i believe there is something in the laws that say you are not allowed to do any welding to your frame so a bumper welded on could be failed but it seems like a grey area. if it's a piece of steel bolted to the frame and there are no jagged pieces of steel sticking out of it that will hurt people when they walk by then you should be fine.

having a reciever attached to the bumper is completely legal, until something bad happens.