PDA

View Full Version : Beadlocks vs regular tires???

Sini
05-08-2009, 06:22 PM
So, since I'm not mechanically minded really and have learned a great deal in a very short amount of time about lift kits, bumpers, tow points, onboard air etc etc etc... my next question has to do with the tires/rims?

I see a number of people have beadlocks vs regular ..rims/wheels?

What is the difference in terms of pros/cons to each style?
What are people's experiences with them?

Are they better for some terrain/worse for others/doesn't make a difference?

[cheers]

xtremeyj
05-08-2009, 06:29 PM
Beadlocks are not legal to run on public roads

Sini
05-08-2009, 06:34 PM
Any benefit to the stability/ well being of the tire for offroad use?

JACKNIFE
05-08-2009, 07:04 PM
your tire wont come off the rim

stylus
05-08-2009, 07:04 PM
well, beadlocks hold your tire on the rim so you can run low air pressures, ex. 8 psi, where a regular rim running that the tire is alot more likely to fall off the bead.

but they are technically "illegal", lots of ppl run them on the road anyways.

or what ya do is get inner air locks, or stauns, which are legal.

Sini
05-08-2009, 07:55 PM
Thanks guys, good to know :)

RCCruiser
05-08-2009, 08:12 PM
Not all beadlocks are illegal. Hummer beadlocks are one example. There are others, but are much more expensive. Most aftermarket beadlocks only clamp the outer rim, so the inner bead is still able to come off. Seems like a waste of time for single beadlocks to me. The Hummers clamp both inner and outer beads.
So far I'm liking my Hummer beadlocks. But they are very heavy. I never really had a problem aring down to 8 or even 6 psi on regular rims, but that really depends on tire/rim combo, driving style, and terrain.
Beadlocks are not a necessity. I'd consider them an 'extra'.
The Stauns seem like a good alternative, but I hear they 'walk' around the rim, which tears the valve stem off. No personal experience with them, though.

Sini
05-09-2009, 12:01 AM
Ryan that's some great information, thanks! :)

DeeDee
05-09-2009, 08:48 AM
If you want it for style both can be "cool"

But think about the wheeling your going to be doing... are you going to need beadlocks? If your going to stave and doing a trail here and there you probably dont need them.... if your gonna turn ur cherokee into a buggy you might as well buy them now so you dont have to do it later [cheers]

RCCruiser
05-09-2009, 08:53 AM
Ryan that's some great information, thanks! :)
Thanx. I'm full of it.

Information, that is. ;)

Ginger Snaps
05-09-2009, 09:26 AM
iv had mine down to 2psi they dont fall of the rim just burp air[16]

Sini
05-09-2009, 10:05 AM
If you want it for style both can be "cool"

But think about the wheeling your going to be doing... are you going to need beadlocks? If your going to stave and doing a trail here and there you probably dont need them.... if your gonna turn ur cherokee into a buggy you might as well buy them now so you dont have to do it later [cheers]
I don't see myself turning it into a vehicle that isn't street legal, but then again I really really enjoy the comfort of aired down tires... I might end up adding them to the list because the Cherokee isn't going to be my daily driver; I just will want it to be able to get me to the trail without having to be trailered.

Thanks everyone, there's some good info in here. Skinny what type of beadlocks do you have? Are they the Hummer ones too?

Ginger Snaps
05-09-2009, 10:22 AM
Just the regular single beadlock...

my advice if you just want to air them down for a fsr road or even light wheeling going into davis lake etc there is no reason to have them i ran my old truck with no beadlocks at 5psi and had no problems.

epic3
05-09-2009, 10:48 AM
beadlocks are only for people tryin to be cool

DeeDee
05-09-2009, 01:00 PM
There are fake bead locks....
You could get some trailreadys and if u ever get hassled say "they are fake" ...unless the cop knows his shit he/she wont know the difference ;)

You can de-bead with beadlocks on, I saw it a hand full of times in one day at we rock....

You can air down ur tires with reg rims....

When people air down to 5 lbs its not cuz they are driving around stave [cheers]

dirka dave
05-09-2009, 02:08 PM
Beadlocks also add extra stress on your wheelbearings, due to the extra weight...

Unless you are using aluminum, which is not as good as steel off road.

RCCruiser
05-09-2009, 02:49 PM
You can de-bead with beadlocks on, I saw it a hand full of times in one day at we rock....
How the heck can you lose a bead with beadlocks? Unless it's just the single beadlocks, and not dual beadlocks, I don't see how it could happen.:dontknow:

DeeDee
05-09-2009, 03:24 PM
How the heck can you lose a bead with beadlocks? Unless it's just the single beadlocks, and not dual beadlocks, I don't see how it could happen.:dontknow:

just the single, hammer down, pushing the limits, with 3 pounds.

Im assuming she wouldnt get duals....and if she does Ill give her a good deal on the set in my living room ;)

Ginger Snaps
05-09-2009, 03:30 PM
summer your talking truck:eek:

thats hot

just saying:p

yo..

epic3
05-09-2009, 05:36 PM
summer your talking truck:eek:

thats hot

just saying:p

yo..

ya think she'll start talkin dirty too

Sini
05-09-2009, 07:49 PM
Definitely lots to think about!!!

RCCruiser
05-09-2009, 11:29 PM
Im assuming she wouldnt get duals....and if she does Ill give her a good deal on the set in my living room ;)
You have a spare set of Hummers? I like Hummers. :D
If you have a set to sell, let me know. rcrunner@hotmail.com

Sini
05-09-2009, 11:44 PM
Ryan go get 'em!! I just blew all my $$ on my PC (Motherboard, CPU, RAM) so its going to be a bit before my Jeeps see anything. :(

Depending on timing/$$ if you want, I'll even bring 'em over to the island for ya. Sorry DeeDee I gotta buy a gastank & a floor pan and get those fixed first on the XJ :( Will for sure check you guys out though when I am looking for new wheels which will be along with new tires which will be along with new lift, which will be along with ...JeepThrills I hope! (Although I recall initially talking to B about the 4.5" lift kit and now I'm thinking bigger...doh!!)

T

Ginger Snaps
05-10-2009, 11:15 AM
if your not going to air down past 6psi there pointless to have

dirka dave
05-10-2009, 11:24 AM
if your not going to air down past 6psi there pointless to have

If ya dont wheel your truck, then its pointless to have one.. :eek:

Just sayin'.......YO

Ginger Snaps
05-10-2009, 11:29 AM
your trying to say something there dorka dorka.....

dirka dave
05-10-2009, 11:48 AM
:dontknow: :dontknow:

A6D9
05-11-2009, 05:48 AM
man summe ris hot if she talks trucks or anythign..hell she could not speak english and still be hot...B is one lucky man. :)

Apathy
05-11-2009, 09:17 AM
There is nothing in writing that says beedlocks re illegal.

Just because they are not DOT approved does not mean you cant run them

is you lift DOT approved? Nope.

I recently had this conversation with a US Federal Law enforcement officer.
Your laws up there regarding vehicle regulation are nearly exactly the same.

I might be wrong, but i would like to see it in writing.

Ginger Snaps
05-11-2009, 10:34 AM
THANK YOU JER!

Apathy
05-11-2009, 10:42 AM
The federal United states Law enforcment officer said.. Nope beedlocks were fine. but i need some mudflaps.

I tried to argue the point saysing i always through they were not legal, he said there is nothing saying they are not.

this topic has gone around alot down here.
I always thought they were illegal as well.

coreyg8
05-11-2009, 03:23 PM
seen tires come off tons of times with bead locks!

RCCruiser
05-11-2009, 06:42 PM
There is nothing in writing that says beedlocks re illegal.

Just because they are not DOT approved does not mean you cant run them
It's not the beadlocks that are illegal. It's the modification to the rim to make them work that's illegal.

Look up the wheel rim section in the rule book. ;)

Ginger Snaps
05-11-2009, 07:01 PM
no welding yeah yeah

TWOZEROFOUR
05-11-2009, 10:38 PM
i have never had any probs running 6psi with no locks... it has alot to do with the rim... as good quailty wheel will have a large bead keeper ridge on the back side of the bead.,, preventing your tire from being pushed into the drop center.. i have a set of good quailty steelies that have it, and work well,, also a cheap set of eagle alloys that dose not have one at all.. i also always try to avoide rubbing my side walls as much as possible on stumps and rocks n shit.

Apathy
05-12-2009, 08:08 AM
If you dind't weld them, such as allied trail ready, they are not modified.

the majority of wheels are "welded" the inner spoke is weled to the ring.