PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Problem

Little Samurai
04-30-2009, 10:21 PM
Not to sure what happened to my clutch today but I was in stop and go traffic and it started to feel funny, like there was a lot of resistance. I maybe got two more shifts out of it and then no more worky. No smell but once in a while it was hard to get into first gear for the last couple of days. Had it towed home so now I gotta figure out what broke, any ideas would be appreciated. I had some one push the clutch pedal in while I watched the cable and lever at the transmission and noticed that there was not much travel in the lever.
The truck is a 1990 fuel injected Samurai with stock everything.

JACKNIFE
04-30-2009, 10:30 PM
sounds to me more like transmission than clutch...

i dont think the clutch in that has very far to move. But if you think the fork isnt moving enough it would have to be a pedal/linkage problem.

you say resistance....did you feel it in the pedal or the shifter?

:dontknow: good luck but hope you figure it out

Little Samurai
04-30-2009, 10:35 PM
Felt resistance it the pedal almost like the cable was being pulled so tight it was stretching.:dontknow:

JACKNIFE
04-30-2009, 10:53 PM
hmm when you push it down or release....both?

clutch fingers?:confused0006:

Little Samurai
04-30-2009, 11:00 PM
Hard to push down then springs right back. Like I say it feels like the cable is stretching then springing back.

Little Samurai
04-30-2009, 11:06 PM
I was wondering about the pressure plate or throwout bearing. The clutch is only about 1.5 yrs old and I think it was a Beck Arnley.

JACKNIFE
04-30-2009, 11:09 PM
cable cant stretch... the only springy part of a linkage clutch should be the clutch fingers there may be a spring on the pedal or on a part of the linkage for pedal return, but the only thing that can happen to them is they break or wear out which would be opposite of what you are experencing.

....no hydralics at all? for sure full linkage clutch?:dontknow:

zookiguy
04-30-2009, 11:17 PM
Clutch cable housing has probably torn/ripped apart.

inspect it close and im sure youll find your problem.

norm
05-01-2009, 05:58 AM
unhook your cable from the trans,you should be able to pull it in and out by hand.if not replace the cable.Same problem with mine a couple years ago.
Took my old one and soaked it in weazle piss now its my spare in the trail box.

pumpkin
05-01-2009, 06:15 AM
Sounds like the cable is toast. They are common for the outer part of the cable collapsing, same idea as the cable stretching. When this happens it also binds the inner part of the cable, making it hard to push the clutch pedal and making the pedal feel springy.

Little Samurai
05-01-2009, 06:34 PM
Any Special adjustment needed after a cable is replaced or can I just go by feel and make sure the truck doesn't walk by itself when in neutral?

zookiguy
05-01-2009, 08:09 PM
Any Special adjustment needed after a cable is replaced or can I just go by feel and make sure the truck doesn't walk by itself when in neutral?

look in this link. click on samurai then clutch adjustment

http://www.suzukiinfo.com/

Little Samurai
05-03-2009, 12:13 AM
Thanks everyone. I had a look at the cable today and it was toast, had a flat thin spot in the casing with a bit of a kink as well. Manage to get a new one and get her back on the road today. I nearly put my foot right through the floor on the first couple of shifts...didn't realize how stiff the old one was getting.