PDA

View Full Version : full width jeep cherokee (xj) build

BushWhackXJ
04-30-2009, 09:42 PM
so guys, i have finally started my build project. After just over a year of saving money and stock piling parts. Here's the facts....

full width 1978 Ford F-250 Hp Dana 44 front--- 4.09 gears/ Lp dana 60 rear---4.10 gears with posi.

6.5" long arm full suspension lift kit , plus shackles, blocks, and coil spacers to level it out after the fab work. so far the estimate is about 7.5" to 8" lift

ford 8 lug 16" steel wheels 4.25" Bs , 315/75R 16 (35"/12.5"/16") BFG Mudterrrain km2 tires from Costco... (F-ya... soo much cheaper)

and the rest of the goodies

BushWhackXJ
04-30-2009, 09:59 PM
axle overhaul

BushWhackXJ
04-30-2009, 10:02 PM
more axle averhaul...

BushWhackXJ
04-30-2009, 10:08 PM
jeep tear down.. stage one

BushWhackXJ
04-30-2009, 10:11 PM
the old junk

BushWhackXJ
04-30-2009, 10:13 PM
the old junk again... with pic this time.... f'ing newbs [36]

BushWhackXJ
04-30-2009, 10:16 PM
those acles were sooo crusty to start with. it took a lot of work to get them where they are ready for the bush, bearings, seals, brakes, you name it.

BushWhackXJ
04-30-2009, 10:29 PM
dana 44 fabrication

BushWhackXJ
04-30-2009, 10:36 PM
new suspension in... it;s starting to look pretty gnarly[36] . i'm looking for as much input as i can get. Ok, jeep guys, lets get some input.

BushWhackXJ
04-30-2009, 10:41 PM
latest update on the dana 44.

sorry i'm posting all at once, its just that all of the build /suspension/ facricating has happened in six days so far.

BushWhackXJ
04-30-2009, 10:45 PM
the old junk (d 30) and my new rims.... the tires are still not here.... it's a Piss off i'm at about a week waiting.

BushWhackXJ
04-30-2009, 11:08 PM
okay, so now that i'm done with todays pic postings... i want to hear all your bitches and moans... I'm looking for some constructive critisism. some advice, anything. let's hear it. I haven't had any major issues,

just some small things...

--? i broke the frame mount bolts for one side of rear shock mount... I'm just going to weld bolts intead of using the oem nuts?

--? I'm worried with the huge ford f-250 double piston caliper and massive drum brake size that i will not have enough brake fluid capasity? and do you think my dual diaphragm booster froma newer jeep will do the trick? do you think i need a bigger master cylinder set-up to use the 3/4 tonne set-up?

--? anyone know how far rear tj flares stick out. I will need some flare ideas. i have full width axles, but i'm not a big fan of bushwhackers.

thanks in advance... the more input the better... i want to do this right. So what if it's over engineered. I plan ahead unlike others. i have never designed anythng for my jeep to make it work for my current plan. I have designed it to last till i die.

thanks in advance... help me out.

JACKNIFE
04-30-2009, 11:14 PM
looks like a good project bud
looks like what i'd do for an XJ
[36][36]

BushWhackXJ
04-30-2009, 11:21 PM
F-ya, i'd hope that 's what's you'd do to a cherokee. thanks dude. any bright idea's to add to it? see anything wrong with the way i'm going about it?

Chopstick
05-01-2009, 03:11 AM
the only thing i see is that your doing it right the first time

UU
05-01-2009, 06:24 AM
its a Jeep, so the only flares you'll need are these ones

'Balmer
05-01-2009, 11:42 AM
Good work so far man! Just curious, do you want to sell your old D30 and links for really cheap?

BushWhackXJ
05-01-2009, 11:57 AM
the dana 30 got very butchered during the fab of the dana 44. the axle and brackets are scrap. I cut and hammered a lot of stuff off to take measurements and get angles

Burndog
05-01-2009, 06:04 PM
ahhh but then i got hi [stoned][stoned][stoned]

gl with the build looks like fun.[cheers]

hilltoptoy
05-03-2009, 08:31 AM
Sweet Xj ,

BushWhackXJ
05-03-2009, 09:16 PM
well thanks for the reply's guys, i work one more day, than i have a couple more days in the shop. i'll keep ya posted i hope to have it rolling by thursday night. (4 more days)

1. Any advice on the brake issues posted earlier, has anyone run 3/4 or 1 tonne brakes with the a stock jeep Master cylinder/booster setup? any vehicles you recommend for a swap in case it doesn't work? proportioning/metering valve idea's?...

2. Drag link? I don't want to buy tube stock then drill, weld, and tap threads. you guys Know of any vehicle makes/years with solid drag links or tie rods with the same size TRE's. so i can just cut it to length and throw some threads on it? (re-use the adjustment sleeves)

Happypants
05-03-2009, 09:56 PM
well thanks for the reply's guys, i work one more day, than i have a couple more days in the shop. i'll keep ya posted i hope to have it rolling by thursday night. (4 more days)

1. Any advice on the brake issues posted earlier, has anyone run 3/4 or 1 tonne brakes with the a stock jeep Master cylinder/booster setup? any vehicles you recommend for a swap in case it doesn't work? proportioning/metering valve idea's?...

2. Drag link? I don't want to buy tube stock then drill, weld, and tap threads. you guys Know of any vehicle makes/years with solid drag links or tie rods with the same size TRE's. so i can just cut it to length and throw some threads on it? (re-use the adjustment sleeves)

pm heep, hes got a waggy d44 in the front of his jeep, and phil from TDD can do your steering, hes good at stuff like that bumpNspin is his name

Troy
05-03-2009, 10:46 PM
good start with the right ford parts

brackets on the front look good so far too

Ginger Snaps
05-03-2009, 11:23 PM
kool project man! keep us updated

BushWhackXJ
05-06-2009, 03:44 AM
so, here's a quick update before i head for bed. (sorry, no pics tonight)

-all the dana 44 brackets are drilled and the whole truss welded in place.
-dana 44 bolted on, coils are in... then proceeded to screw with pinion angles , long arm length, and the track to try and get everything set up right. i don't want to do the track bar mount until everything with steering and axle all match up nice.

-pressed in conversion u-joints on my driveshafts to mate the jeep shafts(Tom woods CV) to the ford pinions. I'll post some spicer part numbers later

-finished hi-steer arm for the passenger side knuckle. bolted it on, installed axle shaft, knuckle, spindle, brake assembly, and hub.

-dropped off my rims at costco. the tires are in and will be mounted and balanced by tomorrow.

Fuzzydog
05-06-2009, 10:53 AM
Did you just wing it and fab up your own brace and control arm mounts on the 44?

I'm currently doing a waggy 44 for my XJ and that's the part that has me concerned - lining everything up right....

dirka dave
05-06-2009, 10:56 AM
I like the dolly thingie...

Fuzzydog
05-06-2009, 11:06 AM

Naxja has some info on swapping in a master cylinder from a ford E350 van (probably very similar brakes to what you will have on your XJ) for earlier model XJs, and master from a Dodge 2500 for 95 and up XJ's. those swaps get mixed reviews though so YMMV

jeffh
05-06-2009, 09:43 PM
no advice from me, i wanna see it when its done tho!

looks like its gonna be retarded fun

Happypants
05-06-2009, 10:29 PM
I wanna see it done too, looks fuckin sweet, best to do is set your pinion angle directly at the t-case then set your caster/inner c's (if you cut them off to set your caster properly)should be set around 5.5degrees, roughly!!!

theborges
05-07-2009, 07:05 AM
looking good. my truck should be looking like that shortly with SAS getting done to it

kx85
05-07-2009, 08:33 AM
Fuck ya man keep the good work going

BushWhackXJ
05-07-2009, 04:03 PM
Did you just wing it and fab up your own brace and control arm mounts on the 44? I'm currently doing a waggy 44 for my XJ and that's the part that has me concerned - lining everything up right....
Yeah, just wing it for the most part. i had some idea's, and had done some research. the truss gave enough surface metal to weld pretty much any bracket any where. just tack everything... test fit and use your old axle for the measurements and idea;s. good luck

BushWhackXJ
05-07-2009, 04:07 PM
I like the dolly thingie...
:s30x: yeah man, that thing worked out perfect for the fab work and moving it around. roll it under the jeep... line it up... tack it on... roll it out weld er up! got it at princess auto, and saved sooo much hassle

BushWhackXJ
05-07-2009, 04:25 PM
so guys, the last two days a lot of progress has been made. And only because of great help. I wanna thank Jamie for the use of his shop. He's got some serious fabricating skills, and has helped me out so much it's un-believable. it's amazing how much can get accomplished in a short amount time when you've got the right help, brains, and skills to back it up. thanks man

so i got the call that the tires were mounted.... you know what that means,
time to make a little jeep, not so little[36] (that's a tire leaning on the tail gate of a ford ranger:D bit of a perspective)

BushWhackXJ
05-07-2009, 04:32 PM
the dana 44 fully welded up, a coat of paint and mounted on the jeep for good. the only thing missing is swaybar mounts on the axle. We're having interference issues between the drag link and swaybar.

BushWhackXJ
05-07-2009, 04:43 PM
a donor vehicle draglink modified to suit my length and angles. but i still need to ream my pitman arm and high steer arm to the large "tre" size. sounds easy, but i can't find a reamer that'll work around kelowna for the life of me

and a pic from the front of most of the front end all bolted up. Looks bad ass.

BushWhackXJ
05-07-2009, 04:58 PM
Dana 60
- spring perches welded on, and axle bolted up
- pic of axle in and driveshaft bolted up. My tom woods cv shaft ended up being too long. Jamie and his brother ended up convincing me that they could shorten it with confidence. So, here goes... chopped a not so cheap shaft on the lathe. kinda scary. Turned out great though. thats the kinda stuff that i'm super thankful for. stuff i wouldn't even think of trying, jamies got the skills for.
-And a pic of how it sits

BushWhackXJ
05-07-2009, 05:11 PM
and here's some pics of the final ride height and width. It's a real bully.[36]

still lots of little stuff the finish up.
-i have to finish shocks and mount them (having issues with crappy bushings. a couple of them were all dried out. i installed them and they split a few days later. there were a couple bad ones in the batch)

-need to ream my pitman arm and highsteer arm for tre's

-need to figure out jks swaybar disconects and how i can mount them out of the way of my highsteer setup. ???

-i went to bolt up front driveshaft and guess what, it's too long. REPEAT. but that;s all right, jamies going to help me out in that department again. I just never took into account that the pinions on these axles were going to be that much longer

ROBO
05-07-2009, 05:39 PM
dude id go with hydroboost system for your breaks.. you will get more than enof power!!.. looks awsome too!!

Gaybait
05-07-2009, 07:15 PM
fawkin wicked yo!

Happypants
05-07-2009, 08:56 PM
fuck thats sexy, hey can you snap a photo of the front of the whole truck, i wanna see how far the tires stick out,

Troy
05-07-2009, 11:29 PM
did u rob those axles out of that ford beside the jeep?

C-Dog
05-08-2009, 09:22 AM
Man that is a sweet looking XJ man keep up the good work its going to be nice when its done [cheers]

jeffh
05-08-2009, 10:24 AM
holy sick

can my xj call yours daddy?

hahaha

Happypants
05-08-2009, 06:10 PM
it definitly looks sweet, cant wait till i cut the back end off of mine and stick 1tons under it as well,

BushWhackXJ
05-08-2009, 11:08 PM
fuck thats sexy, hey can you snap a photo of the front of the whole truck, i wanna see how far the tires stick out,

yeah i'll get you a pic soon. as it sits in the shop right now i can't get far enough back to get a good pic of the front end.... it's huge :D the tires are 12.5" wide. with the jeep body lines, the front side of the tire sticks out pretty much the full 12.5" the rear side of the tire... maybe 3/4's of that. I'll try and get you a pic. With the height, it doesn't seem quite so wide though.

Happypants
05-08-2009, 11:11 PM
just wondering cause the back half of my jeep is gonna fall off in a few months and it might aquire some 1 tons and lotsa tube work so..

thanks though mang [cheers]

BushWhackXJ
05-08-2009, 11:13 PM
it definitly looks sweet, cant wait till i cut the back end off of mine and stick 1tons under it as well,

If you plan on doing ford one tons... just a word of advice, find something with some more common hub setup than mine. or put new ones in all together. i think i bought one of the last of a couple hub parts available for this style, i ordered one out of one of a couple things out of ford's stock. they looked up the parts on microfiche (old school) and i found one of a couple things in ontario (mailed in) PITA

Rodnik
05-08-2009, 11:19 PM
lot of work , stay in touch n here we go out lots

BushWhackXJ
05-08-2009, 11:21 PM
holy sick

can my xj call yours daddy?

hahaha

any time.... any time. [36] ha haha

BushWhackXJ
05-08-2009, 11:43 PM
so heres a little bit of an update.
I'm back to work for seven days so not much will be getting done on the jeep (not that much is still needed)
-anyways i went into the shop for about an hour last night to do some staring. i removed the the old dana 44 brake lines and installed my extended stainless flex ones, as well as bent the front hard lines down as far as possible without interference.
-installed new shock bushings on the front shocks,,I still have to replace the other two crusty ones in the rear. (quick job) then then bolt the lower ends to the axles.
-toyed around with the flare idea, and figured i'm going to put my stock flares back on, but spaced out with rubber. what do you think?

oh, and finally found a reamer for TRE's... so stoked ($100 bucks though.. ouch) my jeep is within minutes of being finished, but i don't want to burn myself out during the work week. So it'll have to wait a few days. I migt tinker here and there some more

dirka dave
05-08-2009, 11:45 PM
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f328/david_corry/Topic000001559Fat2520Guy.jpg

Murdumb

UU
05-09-2009, 07:42 AM
I like the dolly

[16]

BushWhackXJ
05-15-2009, 04:39 PM
it drives! the jeep is back on the road, but there is a lot of tuning and adjusting to do.
-the OEM brake booster/master cylinder seems to be working great so far.
-definate bumpsteer though, After using the high steer arm and drop pitman arm, its to low of an angle. so i need to go back to stock pitman arm or something flatter such as the waggy one. (good thing i already took both of which to the scrap yard with the rest of the junk PITA)
-still don't have a front driveshaft, but atleast i'm mobile.
-gearing doesn't seem too terrible. it has 4.10's so it'll get me by for now.

I'll post more pics soon, but for now, i am going to head out in the woods, to test her out a little, and relax.

Lynx
05-15-2009, 04:59 PM
Shouldn't your track bar mount be higher up cuz of the high steer? Thought the drag and track bar should attach to the axle the same height? Just wondering cause I'm doing the same thing.

Lynx
05-15-2009, 05:04 PM
I used booster and master cylinder out of a 98'ish grand cherokee with disks to put out for the toyota brakes. Huge improvement and bolts right in, just needed different line fittings.

hey maybe get some pics of your lower link mounts for me? And where are your rear leafs from?

Happypants
05-15-2009, 11:51 PM
it drives! the jeep is back on the road, but there is a lot of tuning and adjusting to do.
-the OEM brake booster/master cylinder seems to be working great so far.
-definate bumpsteer though, After using the high steer arm and drop pitman arm, its to low of an angle. so i need to go back to stock pitman arm or something flatter such as the waggy one. (good thing i already took both of which to the scrap yard with the rest of the junk PITA)
-still don't have a front driveshaft, but atleast i'm mobile.
-gearing doesn't seem too terrible. it has 4.10's so it'll get me by for now.

I'll post more pics soon, but for now, i am going to head out in the woods, to test her out a little, and relax.

Drag link and track bar should be parallel to each other to reduce bump steer, also a steering stabalizer will help lots, heep had the same problem with his and after the steering stabalizer it stopped quite a bit,

Lynx
05-17-2009, 04:59 PM
hey Bushwack about the flares, I looked around everywhere and the Rusty's flares look by far the best. http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=rustys&Category_Code=BODY . Their nice and flexible, better mounting and way cheaper then bushwackers. Gonna get some ordered up when I got some cash.

BushWhackXJ
05-18-2009, 10:50 AM
Shouldn't your track bar mount be higher up cuz of the high steer? Thought the drag and track bar should attach to the axle the same height? Just wondering cause I'm doing the same thing.

i had to mount to axle side of the track bar where it was because of where the coil buckets were. at full flex the track bar would contact,. so i dropped the track bar axle bracket down a bit and now have to raise the pitman back up. Hope that made sense. It's not so much whether the mount points line up, the angle of both just have to be parrallel. In my situation a flatter pitman arm will do the trick

BushWhackXJ
05-18-2009, 11:15 AM

is this a better pic? 12.5 wide tires, 4.25" BS wheels, stock flares. Front sticks out a little more than 6-7 inches past flare. Rear sticks out more like 5-6 inches

and sorry for the blurry phone pic in the bush

BushWhackXJ
05-18-2009, 12:09 PM
here's a couple more of how much tire sticks out

jeffh
05-18-2009, 11:13 PM
is this a better pic? 12.5 wide tires, 4.25" BS wheels, stock flares. Front sticks out a little more than 6-7 inches past flare. Rear sticks out more like 5-6 inches

and sorry for the blurry phone pic in the bush

first pic by the airport? i was just out there last week talking to my fab guy about sliders

heep looks killer man

dh_4_ever
05-19-2009, 04:44 PM
you better change your damn sig now.

looks purdy

JACKNIFE
05-19-2009, 04:46 PM
Yea looks good bud[cheers]

Happypants
05-19-2009, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the pics! Looks fuckin sweet.. You got me thinkin now[36]

BushWhackXJ
05-19-2009, 08:23 PM
hey maybe get some pics of your lower link mounts for me?

sort of dark pics, but hope this helps. Two 1/4" plates come flat down the truss then curve around axle tube. the mount hole is drilled the same measurement back and down as the old dana 30 lower mount. these mounts made for a perfect place to weld and bolt the shocks to as well. [cheers]

BushWhackXJ
05-26-2009, 06:12 PM
so here's some preliminary fender trim pics. i went camping and did a little bush whacking. flexed her out as far as i could with out slicing my new tires. so right now thats the limiting factor.

-Front--i have lots more brake line slack, and i'm pretty sure i have quite a bit more shock length. pretty sure the limiting factor on droop in the front will be coil springs falling out (once i have trimmed fenders of course)

-Rear-- as the nature of leaf springs, not nearly as flexy as the front. i can stuff them completely, with good shackle angles. but just will never droop like the front.

nbrowser
05-26-2009, 06:30 PM
Now that is one sexy XJ, good work......hope mine grows up to be similar to that one fine day !

Happypants
05-26-2009, 06:38 PM
That's nice looking mang!

C-Dog
05-26-2009, 07:32 PM
Looks really good man i like it [cheers] im sure its gooing to work real nice once u have it alll dialed in

Lynx
05-26-2009, 10:36 PM
awesome thanks buddy! Are those 36's?

BushWhackXJ
06-01-2009, 11:35 PM
so iv'e swapped in a couple different pitman arms to get my angles right. I have got rid of 90% of the bumpsteer but it's still a little sketchy on rough roads at speed. I'm thinking that thats just the nature of 35" tires on a light jeep with no swaybars, true alignment, or steering stabilizer. All of which will be rectified shortly, and probably in that order.

??? i still need to fab up a new idea for sway bars. Maybe move the whole assembly forward on the frame? (stock location is in the way of dana 44 hi-steer and draglink) Any suggestions

and here's another pic of how she sits.

Lynx
06-02-2009, 06:04 AM
rear looks a little low?

BushWhackXJ
06-02-2009, 12:19 PM
rear looks a little low?

yeah the rear is lower. initially it sat a little higher. I welded on my spring perches at a little lower pinion angle so when the springs settled it would be right. It settled a lot more than expected and now my pinion angle is too high. So eventually I will have to lift it up a little more to get it back to normal. in these pics i am parked on a hill which makes it look worse too.

youngun
06-02-2009, 10:46 PM
passed you on the highway today, looks sweet

BushWhackXJ
06-03-2009, 10:38 PM
passed you on the highway today, looks sweet

thanks, appreciate it. I just about have her finished to a point where i'm confident wheeling hard. but as you know it's a never ending battle. Pm if you're heading out somewhere. new faces, and new trails is always a good thing[cheers]

BushWhackXJ
06-13-2009, 11:35 PM
so, here;s another update.

i finally got the front shaft in (finding a dual cardan seal was a bitch) i put er together and spray bombed it.... then of course had to test it out right?

i still have to do a tranny cooler and fendrer trim which are next on the list, but i just had to get it out and go through what it deserves.

i took it for a night run through where the rumble of the rocks competition was (thanks to a good co-pilot)

since it was a night run pics are hard to take... but i'm sure will be on here soon, as for now.... some more poser pics. (ill post the fisrt carnage when i get the pcs)

BushWhackXJ
06-20-2009, 10:21 PM
next update,
I went out for the first bush whack once i got my front driveshaft worked out with "nightcrawler". we had a blast and gave us a glimpse of of what this rig is now capable of. We headed up in the area of the "rumble on the rocks" I had a great time, and learned a few things that had to be done soon. had the first lifted carnage on the front corner and bumper from a huge rock at the start line of the comp. Guess it's time to chop [36]

BushWhackXJ
06-20-2009, 10:26 PM
I immediately went into chop mode..... here's a pic or two of the front it only took a few minutes once set up. (flares aren't finished yet. I have one cut, but still thinking before i cut rear flares)

BushWhackXJ
06-20-2009, 10:54 PM
so the front chop went well. but the rear....... not so much:eek:
I decided i'd do something different than most and figured i'd use a backing plate as a bucking bar (axe head) and fold over more than every one else does. usually people fold over the rear lip at the first lip, i wanted more then that that so said F**K it and went all the way. it might be ugly but gets the job done. Flare will cover up the dents. If you want the specifics of why i got upper fender dents pm me.

first pic: things going as planned

second pic: got a kink in the top fold which popped two big dents into upper fender

BushWhackXJ
06-20-2009, 11:41 PM
did u rob those axles out of that ford beside the jeep?

No, that ford has been built up from the ground up. when i mean from the ground up i mean brand new frame, then powder coated . when it is finished it could probably be registered as brand new. Theres not a single piece on it that isn't brand new or hasn't been taken apart and overhauled.

i just did my jeep at his shop... thats his rig... and you can tell.... MINT

BushWhackXJ
07-07-2009, 06:57 PM
update: i'm in the middle of cutting flares down to size and mounting them... most of its done. but would like to seal the folded rears up... do you think i should weld up the relief cuts to add strength to the seam? then the plan is to spray bomb then seal up with a hard sealant.

well here's some carnage right after i chopped.
You have to test her out every time you work on it don't you???

1. rubber door trim removed from both sides, plus i new high clearance rear door

2. Some axle tube rock rash.... I blame it on the[cheers]

Justin_B
07-07-2009, 08:43 PM
Looks sweet, how hard was it to do the front with all the coil and arm stuff?
Somewhere down the road i wanna swap full width into my grand.

nightcrawler
07-08-2009, 11:11 AM
ya man weld that shit if not bring it by an ill do it

D-Ass
07-08-2009, 09:16 PM
man that thing looks sweet once it is "done" it should be killer!!!!!!!![cheers]

nbrowser
07-08-2009, 09:31 PM
nbrowser want this rig.....drool.....

Happypants
07-08-2009, 09:33 PM
weld the seams back together or you will get water in there, just a whole bunch of spaced out spot welds to keep from warping the metal

bezzz
07-12-2009, 11:24 AM
Nice build up on the XJ,looks like an awsome trail rig[cheers]

BushWhackXJ
07-20-2009, 08:20 PM
today is the start of my weekend so i'm hoping to get working on her. i tinkered a little bit today while i was at work:mad0215: . i built a bracket so that i can mount a steering stabilizer to the ford tierod. i was thinking i should build it into a full diff skid but didn't have the spare time. maybe another day. Anyways,

Do you think that two diff cover bolts is a good enough mount for the stabilizer, or do you foresee any issues. i figure it won't take much of a load. let me know what you think of the bracket idea.

oh, and always i'll throw in a pic or two of how she sits now... i still have to do the flares, but is slow going cuase i love it without them

Happypants
07-20-2009, 09:03 PM
yep that will do, theres not much load on it anyways just the shock from hitting a bump in the road, which is fuckall, trailmasters steering stabilizer kit is almost the same in the way that it bolts to the diff cover and tie rod,

jeep looks good,

BushWhackXJ
07-23-2009, 02:45 PM
cool, thanks guy.... I bolted the steering stabilizer up and seems to work great, other than the fact that i just bent a track bar pretty bad and FUBAR'd my steering anyways. i'm back to major bumpsteer and some nasty clunking. It was a good night run though.... definately worth it. I also mounted some make shift fender flares, they're sorta ghetto but mostly get the job done. It's function not fashion right.... just something to keep the coppers off my back.

BushWhackXJ
07-23-2009, 02:57 PM
suppose i should give a few pics of it.....

you guys have any ideas on a bullet proof track bar? i'm finding these are a f'in heavy set of axles for the jeep, and it didn't take much abuse to bend that track bar like nothing. i'm thinking of cutting the old track bar and using the old joints, then sleeving the length of it in thick tubing. and getting rid of the stock bent track bar idea.... just a straight pipe

suggestions???

Lynx
07-23-2009, 05:31 PM
mine is 1.5" solid, haven't tested it out, but the mounts are gonna break first.

I know rustys can make you any custom tie-rod or track bar you want.

Mine is from Rockkrawler.

Happypants
07-23-2009, 10:14 PM
fuck rustys off road, monkeys can weld better than them guys,

get some 1" 1/2 .250 wall and a good joint at the top, either creeper joint, currie joints or rubicon express flex joint, then the bottom end make a bushing style,

make sure that its as parallel to the drag link as possible to reduce your bumpsteer

TWOZEROFOUR
07-23-2009, 11:01 PM
sick build dude [36]

BushWhackXJ
07-24-2009, 10:07 PM
[cheers] thanks nightcrawler for the use of the shop and the help welding up the folded rear and doing fender flares.... it went quick. thanks[cheers]

C-Dog
07-24-2009, 10:31 PM
Looking good man i like it

nightcrawler
07-25-2009, 02:52 PM
no problem dude

suberman
07-25-2009, 09:33 PM
That is why instead of replacing my YJ's Axles a bought a 76 scout for 600 bucks with front and rear dana 44s stock. So much easier and cheaper I found out. Trust me to get rid of the Jeep thing just take an International Harvester and it will get a lot better. As an added bonus they are old so it is a lot easier to hack up and not worry about. ;)

BushWhackXJ
07-29-2009, 12:44 PM
That is why instead of replacing my YJ's Axles a bought a 76 scout for 600 bucks with front and rear dana 44s stock. So much easier and cheaper I found out. Trust me to get rid of the Jeep thing just take an International Harvester and it will get a lot better. As an added bonus they are old so it is a lot easier to hack up and not worry about. ;)

Or i could get an old 1978 Ford F-250 that i'm not so worried about hacking up. With HD high pinion dana 44/ Low pinion dana 60 axles. Then replace the cab and box with a cherookee cab cause they're wicked.... oh and while i'm at it i could swap in a newer 1996/low km and much more reliable 4.0L HO Straight six engine and drivetrain. Now that.... would be wicked :D

Happypants
07-29-2009, 03:10 PM
coils flex better than leafs, nuff said,

BushWhackXJ
07-30-2009, 04:03 PM
yeah, i bought the cherokee because it's exactly what i wanted to build and wheel. It's the perfect platform. If i wanted to build a scout, I would have bought one. To all the scout builders out there, all the power to ya. But this rig suits what i want to be able to do in it.

BushWhackXJ
07-30-2009, 04:10 PM
found my major clunking, i've mashed out one of the contol arm bushings, most likely in the same instance as bending the track bar. so thats a quick fix. bought new bushings already, but they sure weren't cheap.

BushWhackXJ
09-05-2009, 11:56 PM
okay guys, maybe a stupid question......a full size spare (involves fab), or a winch and winch cradle (involves fab). same price. ??? full size spare to get me futher into the s**t.... or a full size winch to get me futher out. Both a necessity but, chicken or the egg first sorta thing? which would you buy first

fullsizebronco
09-06-2009, 11:44 AM
while wheeling i have never needed a spare but sure had wished that i had mounted the winch that has been sitting in my storage for the last 2 years !! i have been stuck more than anyone i know ! haha

epic3
09-12-2009, 09:54 AM
"reliable 4.0L HO Straight six engine and drivetrain"

You should start wearing a respirator

Love the build tho I've been thinking about doin somethin like this to a grand

youngun
09-13-2009, 11:38 PM
hey, waved at you 2 times in the last couple weeks. Probably don't know who i am. See your truck everyday, nice rig for sure.. once i get my 4runner fixed we should hit up some wheelin. i got some tech stuff up postill, but its top secret...

beerwagon302
09-14-2009, 11:28 AM
that thing is fuckin gnarly man!!![36]

Happypants
09-14-2009, 07:25 PM
gonna be starting the 1 tons in my jeep in nov, after staring at yours for a few months im doing my own!

BushWhackXJ
09-24-2009, 06:12 PM
that thing is fuckin gnarly man!!![36]
thanks dude, always puts a smile on my face to hear i'm not the only one that thinks that way:D

BushWhackXJ
09-24-2009, 06:15 PM
gonna be starting the 1 tons in my jeep in nov, after staring at yours for a few months im doing my own!
F**ck ya [36] they're heavier than ever, but well worth it. 35's or bigger and all the peace of mind that comes with it. Good luck with the build. I'll PM ya

BushWhackXJ
09-24-2009, 06:42 PM
and as always heres a new pic or two. First one is of the terrace mountain fire. Second is of the jeep getting put to good use

Happypants
09-24-2009, 08:54 PM
ok so when i finish my jeep, were going wheeling!!! yea, ill trailer my shit there for the weekend and we`ll go break some stuff!!!

Trailjunkie
09-24-2009, 11:09 PM
thats the point,yah just won't. nice

TWOZEROFOUR
09-24-2009, 11:10 PM
tell brandon to quit being a pussy and fix his Xj.. fuckin guy has a killer shop to work in,,,,,,Toy Run 09 [36]

BushWhackXJ
09-30-2009, 08:57 PM
tell brandon to quit being a pussy and fix his Xj.. fuckin guy has a killer shop to work in,,,,,,Toy Run 09 [36]

yeah, i hear ya.... i'll work on dragging his ass into gear, hell... i'll even help him get the rig in working order. I am going to see to it, that i am on the toy run this year... and will be trying to make sure he is going as well.

BushWhackXJ
10-14-2009, 03:19 PM
so here's another update.

I changed out my longarm bushings in order to get rid of my front end clunks last night. I helped out a lot, but it's still not perfect. the tolerance between the bushings and the bolt fits are shitty. So i'm going to get some new hardware and hopefully i'll be in bussiness.

I also started the rework on my track bar and steering setup. Checked out TruckWorks, and i'm pretty sure i'm going to get the joints/ends etc all from them.

just trying to get er dialed in for the toy run.

Happypants
10-14-2009, 08:13 PM
are you coming to the toy run down here on nov 22nd or just the OK toy run? would really like to have a gander at that sexy looking xj,

xj-jamie
10-19-2009, 06:49 PM
thats aboot the coolest thing that ive ever seen.......

hilltoptoy
10-20-2009, 07:43 AM
Full width Jeeps are cool .

BushWhackXJ
10-24-2009, 07:12 PM
are you coming to the toy run down here on nov 22nd or just the OK toy run? would really like to have a gander at that sexy looking xj,

I'm planning on going to the OK toy run, and i think it's usually the same weekend. So unfortunately i'd say it's probably a no. I would also have to say that your Xj is looking awefully sexy as well. hopefully we can meet up and do some wheelin, sooner or later.

BushWhackXJ
10-31-2009, 02:58 PM
so this thursday I woke up and saw what the weather was like, and decided that the jeep didn't need any work done to it. So i went up for some fun in bc instead. Nothing special, because i was alone... but all in all it was needed.

UPDATE:
My steering set-up is starting to look pretty bullet proof, but have'nt finished the fab work, and swapped it over yet. I will happen soon though. I have to do it because my track bar, draglink, and tie rod are all fully fubar'd. Tie rod is so bent it caved in my diff cover. It will all be 1 1/4" solid soon. But i have to do some more fab. for the track bar mounts. (re-vamping the whole setup. AKA same lengths/angles exactly and hard mounts. instead of rubber at both ends.)

God, i love the snow[36]

Lynx
11-01-2009, 02:58 PM
It's starting to look more and more like mine! I think i need to paint it or something now...

El Camino
11-02-2009, 01:23 PM
Very nice build. :rockhorns:

BushWhackXJ
11-24-2009, 09:07 AM
so, here's a quick update.
-The jeep has seemed to lose priority over the last few weeks, and haven't got much work done to it. it''s a shame . But the plan is to do a lot more working on the jeep, then driving in the jeep this winter

- I still haven't cut down and welded, all of my new steering setup yet.

-the OK ToyRun is looking like it may be out of the question for me. I have to work and am having a hard time gettin out of it.

aarong
03-01-2010, 10:57 PM
anymore updates. this is sick

Happypants
03-02-2010, 06:58 PM
Any problems with the front tires chewing at the back of the front fenders?

BushWhackXJ
03-02-2010, 10:18 PM
Any problems with the front tires chewing at the back of the front fenders?

after the fender trim, no... I dont have a whole lot of up travel, and as it comes up as much as it does, the arc brings the axle forward a few inches anyways... the rear is my issue :eek: I have yet to rub a front, and i've put er through the paces:D Plus if it did... the front is easy (fires up the saw)

BushWhackXJ
03-02-2010, 10:31 PM
anymore updates. this is sick

updates soon... ive been working on a few things. Ive been thinking hard about a winch and cage. I'm not really capable of a cage with the space i have, and am not very excited about a cheap pre-fab one.

Winch is going to be a costco 10k lb one as soon as i see one again. [36]

Steering is mostly done. :mad: Im having a hard time finding a place to put the axle end of new fab track bar on the dana44.. space is tight... I'm just glad i havent cut the trac bar to stock length lol.

new Diff cover on the way after the steering smash incident(by new.. I mean very old and crusty), and am thinking about making a quick diff skid while im at it. (just add to my stabilizer mount)

Pics to insue ASAP sorry

aarong
03-02-2010, 11:56 PM
sounds like a good plan!

BushWhackXJ
09-28-2010, 09:00 PM
So...I went up to Bulman lake for a bit of a quiet getaway the other day, and it was exactly what i had hoped for. It was a great day.

the jeep hasnt really been in any shape to do any major wheeling lately, so unfortunatley i haven't gotten out like i should have been this sumer. But in all honesty getting out in it the other day, was a perfect reminder of why...

im back in action [36] I need to take the saw to my damaged front end, and tightenup the play in my longarms... and play :D See you out there soon.

Pic#1 and Pic#2
- the only life i saw out there was a helicopter who buzzed the lake and flew right over me.. think they may have been stocking it or something because they threw something out into the lake. It was cool, seeing as they were cruising below the tree line... like 15-20 ft off the deck

Pic#3 and Pic#4
- A great place, on a great day

Pic#5
- A little pose before i left. (NOTE: Smashed Front Right Bumper,Quarter Panel, Grill, Headlight bezel,and fierglass fairing in front of hood...)
Any suggestions on what to just Cut off? and what to fix? i think the bumper will become a skinny one seeing as one unibody rail took a crinkle on the front, so a new one wont fit

anyways, Lengthy i know.... Any suggestions/ pics / ideas for the front end?

Taxidermy
09-29-2010, 08:37 AM
Looks like you had a nice day at the Lake.

I think the helicopter not dropping fish.

I wonder what they dropping in Bulman Lake?

Did you see a name on the side of the helicopter?

BushWhackXJ
09-30-2010, 08:15 AM
Did you see a name on the side of the helicopter?

No i didnt catch a name, but whatever it was they tossed... im sure it was Legit.

old codger
09-30-2010, 03:38 PM
Just read your Intarresting write up, whats your Next Modification? Maybe a 5.7 Hemi!:confused0006:

BushWhackXJ
10-13-2010, 07:04 PM
Just read your Intarresting write up, whats your Next Modification? Maybe a 5.7 Hemi!:confused0006:

Haha, although it would be awesome...i need to try and keep things simple for now, I have to start fixing what im breaking first :D ... when the 4.0 litre grenades...let the games begin [36]

youngun
10-13-2010, 08:03 PM
See it parked at FlightCraft every morning on my way home. Looking good, hope to see ya at the toy run

BushWhackXJ
10-27-2010, 12:46 PM
See it parked at FlightCraft every morning on my way home. Looking good, hope to see ya at the toy run

i hope to make it to the toy run as well, with or without the jeep. I need to find somewhere to work on my rig other than on the street for a day or two... then it'll be toy run worthy... if i cant find a driveway or a yard before then, ill be at the parkin lot looking for a spare seat in the morning

ktowner351
10-29-2010, 11:22 AM
i got 17acres you could put it on but its all dirt so you will want to wait for the rain to stop..

BushWhackXJ
11-03-2010, 05:03 PM
i got 17acres you could put it on but its all dirt so you will want to wait for the rain to stop..

thanks for the offer ktowner. i'll PM you

Mr.Gutsy
11-17-2010, 07:26 PM
sweet jeep iv seen it parked around quail a couple times

BushWhackXJ
11-21-2010, 08:30 PM
sweet jeep iv seen it parked around quail a couple times

if you are up in quial much. PM me and stop in for a brew or two

BushWhackXJ
12-18-2010, 11:45 PM
Wooo hhhooo made it to the toyrun this year... good to see you guys out there....... I Wish i met more of you. I still need to put a lot of faces to names to Rigs.

obwhon
03-03-2011, 09:43 PM
I'm in the middle of a similar build on my 98xj. Just installed a F150 1974 9" full width with custom clayton 4 link long arms. In the middle of cleaning up a 1986 waggy 44 for the front already on bds 3 link long arm. My question/concern is from all I read about the waggy used with 6 1/2`and up lifts, is you have to cut and turn the C`s back approx 14*. With a cv style front drive shaft, the pinion ujoint and drive shaft have to line up and point at the transfercase. The castor angle on the waggy is only 6-7* with the pinion level. Did you cut and turn the inner knuckles on your build. I don`t read that you did. What did you do with your. Thanks man.

Happypants
03-04-2011, 07:19 AM
If u get a 03 and newer Dana 60 u don't need to :D

andrewmacc
03-05-2011, 09:49 AM
Hey BushWhackXJ, I like the build, and I know this is an old thread so hopefully you see it:

how are those steering angles working out for you? Do you encounter a lot of bumpsteer with them not being parallel? I'm having a fun time trying to mentally work out where to squeeze in the panhard bracket to keep everything level.. it doesn't help that right now it's all mental with my stock axles still in the Jeep..

With a high steer arm going on the kingpin 60 I'm hoping to squeeze in a raised panhard bracket with about 5" to 7" vertical separation to try and keep it as level as possible (the more level the panhard + drag, the better it will perform, generally speaking) in relation to the draglink.

obwhon, from what I understand, you have three options:

1. caster taking precedence. your tires will wear better, track better, etc etc etc, but with the pinion angle not correctly set you will experience a driveline that will wear out faster, as well as more vibration, especially on deceleration.

2. match your pinion angle, but then your caster goes to shit. Not acceptable IMO.

3. spend the time to cut and turn. Have a good welder weld up the C's.

Seriously. Do it once, do it right. It's worth it.

ottoman
03-05-2011, 11:02 PM
If you plan on doing ford one tons... just a word of advice, find something with some more common hub setup than mine. or put new ones in all together. i think i bought one of the last of a couple hub parts available for this style, i ordered one out of one of a couple things out of ford's stock. they looked up the parts on microfiche (old school) and i found one of a couple things in ontario (mailed in) PITA

your hubs look the same as a d44 or 10 bolt and you can get warn premium huba for under 200 brand new

BushWhackXJ
03-11-2011, 08:00 PM
Did you cut and turn the inner knuckles on your build. I don`t read that you did. What did you do with your. Thanks man.

I didn't cut and turn the "C"s no. and I have run the Castor to favor my Driveshaft angles, not tire wear. Im not sure what angle the Ford axle is set to, but i havent had any issues other than bumpsteer(I dont think Castor is the root of my bumpsteer though) I hope that helps. Cheers

BushWhackXJ
03-11-2011, 08:20 PM
how are those steering angles working out for you? Do you encounter a lot of bumpsteer with them not being parallel? I'm having a fun time trying to mentally work out where to squeeze in the panhard bracket to keep everything level.. it doesn't help that right now it's all mental with my stock axles still in the Jeep...

The Steering angles is actually an ongoing battle. I have fairly horrific steering issues. Enough that the Highway scares me :D . Right now the Trackbar and Draglink angles and lengths are both wrong, as well as Bent terribly from a big 'ol rock during the summer. "Squeezing" in that bracket is my issue as well. everything looked good on paper, but its not that easy.

I have the rods/brackets/TRE's all built/paid for and sittin there waiting for a cut to length and weld. The issue comes to me trying to keep Draglink/Trackbar lengths the same...putting the bracket right at the coil bucket location. Meaning that it would have to sit fwd on the axle, Right in the way of the Draglink during a turn. So to be honest, its kinda been in back of my head since i built it.. i knew Steering would need plenty of Tweaking... but I still havent got to it.

If anyone has some Ideas and/or Pics to help out... they are always welcome. Good to see the thread back in here. Cheers

B
03-11-2011, 08:52 PM
The Steering angles is actually an ongoing battle. I have fairly horrific steering issues. Enough that the Highway scares me :D . Right now the Trackbar and Draglink angles and lengths are both wrong, as well as Bent terribly from a big 'ol rock during the summer. "Squeezing" in that bracket is my issue as well. everything looked good on paper, but its not that easy.

I have the rods/brackets/TRE's all built/paid for and sittin there waiting for a cut to length and weld. The issue comes to me trying to keep Draglink/Trackbar lengths the same...putting the bracket right at the coil bucket location. Meaning that it would have to sit fwd on the axle, Right in the way of the Draglink during a turn. So to be honest, its kinda been in back of my head since i built it.. i knew Steering would need plenty of Tweaking... but I still havent got to it.

If anyone has some Ideas and/or Pics to help out... they are always welcome. Good to see the thread back in here. Cheers

same length is no ware as important as same angle build your draglink first as that isn't going to change then you can fight with the coil spring for room for the track bar if it has to be 4" shorter the only time it affect's you is in full droop situation's but it will drive and do 90% of it's wheelin issue free [cheers]

my2c

BushWhackXJ
03-11-2011, 09:02 PM
same length is no ware as important as same angle build your draglink first as that isn't going to change then you can fight with the coil spring for room for the track bar if it has to be 4" shorter the only time it affect's you is in full droop situation's but it will drive and do 90% of it's wheelin issue free [cheers]

my2c

that was fast "B" thanks. Its good to hear that the length isnt as bad of an issue. to make the angles perfect, i would end up bein about 5-6" shorter on the trackbar, but that would allow me to set the height of the bracket to whatever suits.

B
03-11-2011, 11:18 PM
that was fast "B" thanks. Its good to hear that the length isnt as bad of an issue. to make the angles perfect, i would end up bein about 5-6" shorter on the trackbar, but that would allow me to set the height of the bracket to whatever suits.

just because you have to shorten the one end for coil clearance dosent mean you cant push the driver's side out past the frame a inch or 2 keeping it longer it dosent have to sit directly below the frame but it does need to be strong as fuck for your 5 link system to handle well [cheers]

aim for perfection and what will fit is what you get but because it less than perfect don't let it stop ya in your track's

BushWhackXJ
06-14-2012, 03:03 AM
ok, its been a while... but im back! 2012 has plenty of wheelin/ building to offer