PDA

View Full Version : Harrison East- Clear Creek Hot Tubs/Kookipi/Granite Falls

Lieutenant Johnson
04-29-2009, 12:39 AM
Decided to go up April 26 weekend to Harrison East and beyond for a couple days. I cranked my torsion bar and did some other adjustments with Ford earlier in the week and installed some KC off road lights, so I was excited to hit the dirt road. We went up with a couple buddies and decided to start our day/night at Cascade Peninsula!

It was a wicked day for camping and we made it up with no problems as the gate was open for us. We camped on the North beach and had it all to ourselves. I was pleasantly surprised that the beach was clean , spotless, so kudos to those cleaning up after themselves.
We had a good night at Cascade, doing a little off road adventure to try the new lights out and just hanging out by a nice fire, preparing four our adventure in the morning.

In the morning we decided to take off the canopy and leave Cascade to head to Clear Creek Hot Tubs.
I had never been before, so was anxious to get up there.

We fixed up the back up the truck for a real tailgate party and made our way up, a little way down in the back but we went. We got about 9 k up Clear C Rd , when we hit about a foot of snow. I decided to go for it , as I had more clearance with my new tires and crank . It was no problem at all , made it through with with no slipping or getting stuck .
Eventually made it to the springs, after moving some boulders so people ahead could get through (a couple trucks parked and walked it could not make it). I have never been to "natural hot tubs" , but it was pretty cool to see it. The tubs were hot!! For people who have not been..someone tapped PVC tubing into the mountain (to spring ) and it flows by way of gravity to these tubs. Just like at home!!!

The tubs were in relatively good condition for being in nature. Two wooden barrel type hot tubs, and one that someone brought up. One of the wooden tubs needs repairing, as there is a hole about 3 inches in diameter. Other than that , garbage was tossed around (idiots that destroy this s#$t!!
There is also a couple campsites right across and by the tubs by the creek, perfect for a night getaway!

We made it back to camp and our friends took off. We decided to pack up (lost some clearance for 4x4ing once I packed everything!!) and head almost 60 km up Harrison East until we hooked up with Kookipi. The day was unbelievable , easily around 23 degrees. We drove passed 2nd log camp and found a great beach just passed old mans trailer. Beachfront property where Silver Crk flows into.

We continue on to passed the landing strip and made our way to about 34 k where there are a couple perfect camping spots by a bridge on the Silver Crk ( all along 31 to 33 km there are plenty of creekside spots). In the summer we jumped off the bridge down like 30 feet into the creek. It is great in the summer as the creek opens up wider and deep in this spot.

Eventually we made it to a fork in the road , one continued along Harrison East , and the other to Nahatlatch via Kookipi . There are a gorgeous set of waterfalls and gorge right at the bridge at the fork in the road. I think it is Granite Falls, but it is a sight. Two creeks flow into one as it falls several hundred feet (have pics and video link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnnhEi5lNqg).

We didnt make it much further up passed the bridge as we hit snow ,and we were ready to pack it in and go home. We remembered seeing two black bear the last time we were up there, and we were not dissapointed this time. On the way back down, along Big Silver Creek we saw two Black bears, one BIG one and one little guy. Most likely waking up and grabbin some berries. They are fast little buggers, did not have time to grab camera by the time they saw me!

Thanks for checking out the blog and pics...enjoy...as I did!!

Sini
04-29-2009, 12:45 AM
Wow... are those ever some gorgeous pics!!!

MikeWild
04-29-2009, 01:40 AM
great pics and thanks for sharing, but we need pics of the girls in the hot tubs, not the dudes! You can PM all the dude pics to epic! :D

gavman
04-29-2009, 06:49 AM
Your gonna kill that little ranger taking it on bumpy roads like that:(
Great pics and trip

dirka dave
04-29-2009, 01:11 PM
Nice pictures..

Why none of the women in the tubs ??

Honky
04-29-2009, 01:23 PM
Great story!! You have to love this Province!!

Happypants
04-29-2009, 01:34 PM
looks like time to hit the tubs again...sweeeet. nice pics, looks like more rocks fell again

Meeshies
04-29-2009, 01:46 PM
Looks like a good time.... Good way to wash the undercarriage too lol....

Nice Pics :)

Lieutenant Johnson
04-29-2009, 04:58 PM
Too dirty apparently for our clean girls...hahaha

Lieutenant Johnson
04-29-2009, 04:58 PM
Unreal!!! that ranger for $5000 best investment.. I haul my boat on the back up those roads and 4x4 anywhere up there !!! NO Problemo!!

Lieutenant Johnson
04-29-2009, 05:00 PM
Rocks had definetly fallen on the path...but nothin a good 4x4 and a bunch of strong guys moving those rocks ,cant handle!

Lieutenant Johnson
04-29-2009, 05:00 PM
Thanks ...amazing country up there, Harrison is the best!!

Mudgirl
04-29-2009, 05:03 PM
Great trip report and pics

did you drain the tubs when ya got there or were they empty?

theborges
04-29-2009, 05:32 PM
awsome pics. great views

Lieutenant Johnson
04-30-2009, 11:09 AM
No , one tub had a massive hole in it. The one that is empty has the hole.

Great trip report and pics

did you drain the tubs when ya got there or were they empty?

buck
04-30-2009, 11:41 AM
hey man great pics love the ones of the falls thanks for sharin!