PDA

View Full Version : ATTN PATHY!: Or whoever

Gaybait
04-22-2009, 04:05 PM
Hey,

so ive decided that im going to buy a Nissan Pathfinder as my next vehicle. I need a 4wd for next winter and my dad used to own one and i really like there body style 89-92 or whatever.. Now my plans are to hopefully SAS it over the summer and into the fall and have it road worthy by this winter.. What's the best year to buy, what are pro's and cons and should i go fully loaded or basic.. also v6 or is there a v4?

Thanks a ton!

-James

FKN MRK
04-22-2009, 04:12 PM
...look for a 94 or older..... 95 and newer went to unibody. look over the frame CAREFULLY, especially in the rear.

FKN MRK
04-22-2009, 04:14 PM
... I have heard to stay away from the automatic tranny's too

Gaybait
04-22-2009, 04:14 PM
... I have heard to stay away from the automatic tranny's too

appreciate it thanks man, i have also heard stories of those trannys!

thanks for the tips

spanky
04-22-2009, 05:04 PM
buy a toyota

Gaybait
04-22-2009, 05:40 PM
buy a toyota

meh..

good ones are expensive

England
04-22-2009, 05:42 PM
PM PATHY

Gaybait
04-22-2009, 05:54 PM
i could, but i also am asking everyone so :)

redman
04-22-2009, 06:02 PM
why not just buy a built truck so many out there for less than 8 g's and then you know it works and wont go over your budget

Gaybait
04-22-2009, 06:09 PM
why not just buy a built truck so many out there for less than 8 g's and then you know it works and wont go over your budget

but i like wrenching on my own shiat. And learning as i go.. what would be fun about buying a built rig and just wheeling it. Half the fun is putting time blood and money into it and see how it progress's[36]

least thats what i think

epic3
04-22-2009, 07:58 PM
underware startin to smell?

vajayjay
04-22-2009, 09:20 PM
I wanted to build my own but for what I got an already built truck for it would have cost more in the longrun. And I picked it up saturday and was out testing it up harrison sunday.

Zibi
04-23-2009, 12:26 AM
1996-2004 were the unibody R50. Great truck but no aftermarket support so not worth it.

1986 - 1995 were called the WD21 and were on frame. '86 - '89 was the 2 door version like Pathy's, '90 onwards were 4 door. They came with a I4 and a V6 but don't bother with the 4cyl. In 1990 they switched to multiport fuel injection, engine is called the VG30E, and thats what I'd buy. Bit more power and a pretty bullet proof engine.

Watch for frame rot above the rear wheels, they're bad for it. Also check for rot in the sheet metal below the rear seats. Automatic transmissions had shitty cooling and a tendency to die, but haven't heard of very many actually going. If you can get a standard do it, better anyway.

You can do an IFS lift for pretty cheap but you're limited to 3". Biggest tire you can run on stock shit is about a 33" with a 3" susp + 3" body lift, unless you start cutting sheet metal to fit bigger but I've never seen anyone do that. SAS is a SAS, doesn't seem any harder on a pathy than any other truck. Stock rear axle is pretty bullet proof.

Anyway check out http://npora.ipbhost.com/ good Pathfinder forum

But honestly dude, you're not going to get your money back on your current truck. Repainting it might have been fun or necessary but it killed the resale value. You're a good guy but you've already had to give up your dog for not having enough money.

dirka dave
04-23-2009, 03:24 AM
Get a toyota dude....

redman
04-23-2009, 08:49 AM
1996-2004 were the unibody R50. Great truck but no aftermarket support so not worth it.

1986 - 1995 were called the WD21 and were on frame. '86 - '89 was the 2 door version like Pathy's, '90 onwards were 4 door. They came with a I4 and a V6 but don't bother with the 4cyl. In 1990 they switched to multiport fuel injection, engine is called the VG30E, and thats what I'd buy. Bit more power and a pretty bullet proof engine.

Watch for frame rot above the rear wheels, they're bad for it. Also check for rot in the sheet metal below the rear seats. Automatic transmissions had shitty cooling and a tendency to die, but haven't heard of very many actually going. If you can get a standard do it, better anyway.

You can do an IFS lift for pretty cheap but you're limited to 3". Biggest tire you can run on stock shit is about a 33" with a 3" susp + 3" body lift, unless you start cutting sheet metal to fit bigger but I've never seen anyone do that. SAS is a SAS, doesn't seem any harder on a pathy than any other truck. Stock rear axle is pretty bullet proof.

Anyway check out http://npora.ipbhost.com/ good Pathfinder forum

But honestly dude, you're not going to get your money back on your current truck. Repainting it might have been fun or necessary but it killed the resale value. You're a good guy but you've already had to give up your dog for not having enough money.

DING DING Ding

but who :gives:

Apathy
04-23-2009, 09:06 AM
Most of this information is correct.

i sent you a PM james.

basically you want a 87-95 (96 and new is unibody)

a 90 two door (if you can find it) would be my first choice.. But they are uber rare.
4 cyl are rare, and you don't want one.

change the timing belt as soon as you get it home, regardless.

try and stay away from the autos' and if you do, make sure you get an aftermarket tranny cooler for it.

Hope this info helps.

Apathy
04-23-2009, 09:07 AM
BTW.. a good running straigh pathy down here can be found for less than 2500.

'Balmer
04-23-2009, 12:37 PM
Ya, Pathy knows his shit alright.
The only thing I would ad is that I've got an auto and I beat on my rig pretty hard and I've had no problems. I don't run an aftermarket cooler but I'm planning to get one soon - I'm sure it will help prolong it's life.
The auto has really helped me out in soupy stuff and in the snow, plus it's so much smoother over rocks! Just a thought.
'Finders are wicked platforms for sas too. Chek this one out.

http://www.texas4x4.org/showthread.php?t=11627

[cheers]

Apathy
04-23-2009, 12:47 PM
Ya, Pathy knows his shit alright.
The only thing I would ad is that I've got an auto and I beat on my rig pretty hard and I've had no problems. I don't run an aftermarket cooler but I'm planning to get one soon - I'm sure it will help prolong it's life.
The auto has really helped me out in soupy stuff and in the snow, plus it's so much smoother over rocks! Just a thought.
'Finders are wicked platforms for sas too. Chek this one out.

http://www.texas4x4.org/showthread.php?t=11627

[cheers]

that guy has actually been around for a while.

and personally i don't think its a very good build. His geometry isn't right.

Gaybait
04-23-2009, 06:12 PM
i have a different job now which pays alot more than what i was making before, and am now living at home so im surviving. If i could take her back i would. But shes not mine anymore :(

Gaybait
04-23-2009, 06:36 PM
and thanks for the info guys

poostang
04-24-2009, 12:17 AM
hey what do ya know sellin the dodge to buy a pos next you will be selling your turtle and hamster because you are broke right...

Apathy
04-24-2009, 09:40 AM
hey what do ya know sellin the dodge to buy a pos next you will be selling your turtle and hamster because you are broke right...

a dodge for a pathinder is a good choice.

Never ever had problems with the first gen pathy's.

they are bulletproof.

do your maintenance and you'll die before it does.

and as i stated before, you can find them cheap.

'Balmer
04-24-2009, 12:13 PM
that guy has actually been around for a while.

and personally i don't think its a very good build. His geometry isn't right.

Ya, he mentions that he had to change some angles to avoid binding and increase road manners, but the hardware is very similar to yours isn't it?

kamloopsyota
04-24-2009, 12:17 PM
any of you guys know where to get some ball joint spacers for a pathy in canada??

Apathy
04-24-2009, 12:48 PM
any of you guys know where to get some ball joint spacers for a pathy in canada??

dont do it.

i will cause your upper control arm to bend.

kamloopsyota
04-24-2009, 03:52 PM
dont i need the .5 spacer to reindex the torsions, and still have an alignment though??? im planning on doing the v8 grand cherokee coils in the rear and torsion bar crank for the front with 31's still

or screw it and just crank the torsions anyways, without the spacers?

Apathy
04-25-2009, 07:53 AM
you'll get 1.5-2 inch if you just crank the torsion bars.

I know what you mean about the .5 spacer. You put htem in between the upper ball joint and the Upper control arm. The added leverage causes the UCA to bend

4x4parts.com is the only place i know that sells them, and for good reason.

they don't claim they do any damage when somebody complains they get banned from their internet forum.

anyway, 3" body lift +3" suspension lift, you can fit 33" tires, without issue.

and if you run teh stock "lego" wheels you can run 31's without doing anything. they came with 31's stock.

kamloopsyota
04-25-2009, 11:43 AM
yeah i have the legos right now with 31's, guess ill reindex the torsions first then i can cut the rear coils to match

Gaybait
04-26-2009, 05:20 PM
what would a SAS run me about?

Ironman
04-26-2009, 05:27 PM
how much for the pathy your gonna get?

Gaybait
04-26-2009, 06:40 PM
well i found one, i havent bought it yet but its a 4 door with the v6 and 5 spd its 1200 bux needs tires anda new bumper. But it'll all be replaced anyway..

my friend had his trooper SAS'd at BCC for around 5g's but that included a toyota rear axle and a dana 44 front and a bunch of other shit. Id just want a d44 waggy pass drop front axle, mildy built with just a locker in the rear, nothing huge maybe just a 6 inch lift and maybe coils instead of leafs? i dunno. Id really like to SAS one but i dont know how to weld very well and i dont think me TRYING to weld is a good idea expecially when safety is a concern and that i want this to be a winter DD'r as well.

poostang
04-26-2009, 09:22 PM
as soon as you sas something you shouldnt rely on it to be a DDword of advice keep ur shit box dodge as a DD buy a cheapsolid axle truck and go from there that way you dont have to worry about breaking it and fixin it overnight to get to work/school

but what do i know im a dick

Gaybait
04-27-2009, 12:11 PM
as soon as you sas something you shouldnt rely on it to be a DDword of advice keep ur shit box dodge as a DD buy a cheapsolid axle truck and go from there that way you dont have to worry about breaking it and fixin it overnight to get to work/school

but what do i know im a dick

thats what im doing. My Dodge is useless in the snow so i want a weekend wheeler and something ot drive in the winter. Dodge is still my DD

Apathy
04-27-2009, 12:41 PM
to SAS on the cheap.. keep the nissan rear end and get a waggy front end, same width, gear ratio's availabl.

(you'll be stuck running 5:14's.) and this is what you will need to run (i run 5.38's. to get back to stock, its 5.14's

Nissan gears are really expensive, you can get a 9" and build it for the price of gears (and nissan bearings are twice the price as 9" bearings.)

Gaybait
04-27-2009, 02:40 PM
is it a better choice for me to buy the SAS kit from Calmini, for the leaf brackets and what not.. or should i just have somoene weld me up a custom bracket and cross member brace. Also should i go leaf or can i go coilover??

Apathy
04-27-2009, 02:51 PM
custom fab. I just did a calmini kit.. what a joke.. nothing fit, dims were wrong, shackle angles wrong, hole sizes wrong.. etc.

I can get the part numbers for the springs you'll need up front.

Find youself a set of 3-5" lift Early bronco springs for the back.

Gaybait
04-27-2009, 03:55 PM
hmmm.. im trying to find builds from other people..

Apathy
04-27-2009, 04:19 PM
not going to be easy.

What do you want to know james..

there are not that many SAS pathy's out there

Apathy
04-27-2009, 04:20 PM
I'll tell you what i'm going to do..

next time i can sit down.. I'll do a build thread on my pathy.

I've never done one.

Gaybait
04-27-2009, 07:52 PM
thatd be aewsome, Thanks..

hey are u ever back in BC in the next little while? id like to see ur rig to get a sense of what i got to do if i decide on it

'Balmer
04-28-2009, 10:58 AM
I'll tell you what i'm going to do..

next time i can sit down.. I'll do a build thread on my pathy.

I've never done one.

Next time you can sit down? Someone lay a good spankin' on ya?:party0010:

Really looking forward to that thread man!!! I would also love to check out your rig if you're out this way at all.

Apathy
04-28-2009, 11:00 AM
sit down as in ,i'm VERY busy most of the time

'Balmer
05-07-2009, 12:59 PM
Any progress on the build thread?

Apathy
05-07-2009, 02:07 PM
nope

i'll work on it this weekend.

Zibi
05-07-2009, 02:35 PM
looking forward to it, only seen bits of what you've done to the bush pig

Skwerlb8
05-09-2009, 10:30 AM
I've had the opportunity to do a small bit of wheelin with Pathy. DAMN impressive rig! i got a question about the autobox issue. I know the most common fix is the aftermarket cooler... i'm wondering if a higher capacity pump might solve that problem as well?

Apathy
05-10-2009, 04:57 PM
Im not sure. but why would you want to dig into the tranny?