PDA

View Full Version : little help please

wilding
04-16-2009, 09:11 PM
been doin the timing on my 22re with the head still on and unfortunately whoever did the previous job had mangled the head gasket. my question is what have you found to be the best way to get a good clean cut since the gasket is fairly stubborn, and would it be safe to use the toyota form in place gasket for this or do you recomend any other option.

i have already used a pair of pliers to remove a decent portion of the gasket already, i just want to know how to safely get a good clean edge right at the cylinder head. or should i not cut so close to the cylinder head at all?

thanks alot

Toyquad
04-16-2009, 09:23 PM
hahahah been there done that ..... replace the headgasket.

tried making a gasket, tried silicone...... it doesnt work needs new headgasket

wilding
04-16-2009, 09:33 PM
really, because there was a S H * T load of silicone or fipg around there so this obviously was an issue last time the timing had been done, and i checked for leaks before starting with degreaser and powder and only found a leak at the oil pump.

Redneck_04
04-17-2009, 12:43 AM
change the gasket and stopp dickin with it ur just wasting time!

dirka dave
04-17-2009, 03:23 AM
Silicone is the WORSE thing you can use on an engine, ANYWHERE...

When I see silicone I KNOW its had some sort of backyard repair...

Replace the head gskt, if you want to use something to seal stuff use a flange sealant, LOCKTIGHT 515, It wont go into your oil or water passages and form silicone snakes.

toyon35s
04-17-2009, 04:29 AM
since you have the head off get it decked ported and polished trust e you'll be glad you did it ,adds a good 10hp and its acually notice able and also get a new head gasket well worth it also
[cheers]

shawn_ruley
04-17-2009, 08:37 AM
buy yourself a new head gasket. I think they are like $25 or something like that...a putty knife will work to get the old material off, just be super careful not to nick the aluminum head

Spedley
04-17-2009, 09:33 AM
I'd be gettin a new gasket if its really that bad... All the time you put into making what you have work, you coulda done it the right way 2 times. The only place there is supposed to be any kind of gasket maker (according to my manual) is at the joint of the timing cover and the top edge of the block, where the block, head and timing cover all come together.

harvester_sorrow
04-17-2009, 08:05 PM
Head gasket is alot of work. If your just doing the timing cover i would just clean the surface with a putty knife or gasket scraper. Then use gasket material and make your own for the little part where the head meets the timing cover. You can use the old piece as a template. Thats what i did. Been working good for years now.

1980supreme
04-18-2009, 07:19 PM
do the headgasket... did my timing,threw it back together only to find that the headgasket was leaking all over afterwards. it's worth it

TRANS-AM
04-18-2009, 07:31 PM
heat it up with a small torch and clean. use new head gasket with hi-temp silicone, hit the bush!

yoda thrills
04-18-2009, 11:17 PM
do the head gasket regardless
and DO NOT USE SILICONE!
use the shit dirka mentioned

OldEnuff
04-19-2009, 02:22 AM
Silicone is the WORSE thing you can use on an engine, ANYWHERE...

When I see silicone I KNOW its had some sort of backyard repair...

Replace the head gskt, if you want to use something to seal stuff use a flange sealant, LOCKTIGHT 515, It wont go into your oil or water passages and form silicone snakes.

Nice Info Dave........... I did not know that [cheers]