PDA

View Full Version : Rims

longhorn
04-04-2009, 08:33 PM
I bought some white spoke 15 " wheels.
They have 8 holes and have 33" tires on them.
They are wide probably 12".
I thought they would fit my 79 Ford F-250 but buddy tells me the 15" ones wont.
True story?

jesslee
04-04-2009, 08:35 PM
grind calipers a bit your legit.

Troy
04-05-2009, 12:45 AM
depends on the backspacing

MetalMan
04-05-2009, 08:47 AM
Yeah there's a good possibility of rim to caliper contact. 3/4 and 1T have bigger brakes than 1/2T. But normally you can grind the calipers a bit and all is well.

longhorn
04-05-2009, 09:13 AM
Why would they make the center hole and the studs to fit a 3/4 ton if they dont fit the brakes?
What good are they?
Why would hey even bother ?

MetalMan
04-05-2009, 10:12 AM
Well, slap them on and find out, easy enough to do. And grinding calipers isn't a big deal, one way or another you'll get those rims to fit.

Troy
04-05-2009, 10:46 AM
Why would they make the center hole and the studs to fit a 3/4 ton if they dont fit the brakes?
What good are they?
Why would hey even bother ?

cause ford uses the same big ass dual piston caliper on the f250 d44 and d60

they make them for little chevies and dodges

longhorn
04-05-2009, 11:11 AM
Gotcha.

85chevy
04-05-2009, 01:53 PM
The reason 15s wont fit is because the brakes are to big grinding the caliper doesn't help when u go to use the brakes and ur not getting enough air moving around the rotor to cool it enough which means ur gonna get brake fade way faster. Newer vehicles have the problem now that u can't put anything smaller then a 16 inch rim because they are making the rotors bigger because they come stock with 18-20 inch rims stock so they have to compensate by making the brakes bigger. I really don't have a problem running 16 inch rims on my truck knowing that I have much bigger brakes then most of the guys running down the street and will help slow down the bigger then stock tires I have on there currently.

Trooper
04-05-2009, 02:14 PM
The reason 15s wont fit is because the brakes are to big grinding the caliper doesn't help when u go to use the brakes and ur not getting enough air moving around the rotor to cool it enough which means ur gonna get brake fade way faster. Newer vehicles have the problem now that u can't put anything smaller then a 16 inch rim because they are making the rotors bigger because they come stock with 18-20 inch rims stock so they have to compensate by making the brakes bigger. I really don't have a problem running 16 inch rims on my truck knowing that I have much bigger brakes then most of the guys running down the street and will help slow down the bigger then stock tires I have on there currently.

One problem with big brakes is rotating mass. You burn a hell of allot more fuel with them. Slower to accelerate too. I would try griding them. I have ground calipers and put 15s in and never faded my brakes or warped rotors.

85chevy
04-05-2009, 06:13 PM
Yea but if u got a 3/4 ton ur not gonna put smaller brakes on ur truck not worth the effort to swap. And its not like u haven't already increased the rotating mass when u put anything bigger then stock tires on it. If ur worried about acceleration u wouldn't be running anything bigger then stock tires as anything u do to gain ground clearance will affect ur acceleration and ur stability.

FU Toolbag
04-05-2009, 08:00 PM
one brand, don't remember who, makes a set of 15's that does fit over the stock brakes. Basicly the area where the brakes are is as wide as possible. the other advantage is that the tires don't slip off it's soo bloody tight, on the other hand, you can't get the tires on easily either. If it's close, put in a small spacer, otherwise, everyone I know grinds em.

jonny6door
04-05-2009, 09:43 PM
15's will fit fords if they have 2.5" of backspacing or less. thoerwise you gotta grind
________
SEX ADVICE ADVICE (http://www.love-help.org/sex-advice/)