PDA

View Full Version : E-locker, rear wiper

dirka dave
04-03-2009, 11:59 PM
My rear E-locker is not engaging...

I did the "grey wire hack" and it has worked flawlessy, but since last weekend all it does is flash on the dash and I don't hear it engaging..

I am unfarmiliar with The Luxo, its a 1997 4Runner.

I have also lost my rear wiper and rear window control, this happed on a separate occasion.

I have checked the fuse box, under the drivers kick panel, and all seems in order. Are there other fuse panels somewhere else ?

Thanks...

dirka, dirka....

:confused0006:

Trooper
04-04-2009, 12:16 AM
Your e lockers may have a seperate ecu. My land cruiser does. If the ecu is disconeected the locker dash lights just flash... Your solonoid could be gone too.

dirka dave
04-04-2009, 12:26 AM
The 2nd sounds bad...

Is there a way to test the solonoid ?

Cheeky
04-04-2009, 12:29 AM
stuoid answer,but pull your console and make sure none of the wires are fukered:dontknow: Mine ran under the console,but that on a 92??????/

dirka dave
04-04-2009, 12:32 AM
I was under the back of the Luxo today,measuring my shocks, I tried to find a plug for the e-locker but couldn't... The damm gastank takes up a lot of room...

dirka dave
04-04-2009, 12:34 AM
I guess I'll try some more tormorow, I wonder if my scanner will tell me anything.

gavman
04-04-2009, 05:31 AM
Willing to bet the harness plug right at the axle is wet and has shorted out some part of it, happened to me awhile back, you need to separate the plug and fill it with electrical grease even if that is not the problem cause it will be a problem sooner or later... Or it might be a SLDWP issue but that is unlikely, NOT:dontknow:

RCCruiser
04-04-2009, 08:09 AM
Ya. There are 2 plugs about 3/4 of the way up on the driver's side of the 3rd. Damn tricky Toyota plugs to get off, but once they are off, clean them up.
While you are there, make sure the locker breather is working correctly. It's just a black tube that allows it to breathe air, and not mud. ;)

The rear wiper...does your rear window go down yet? If not, I'd bet the 2 problems are related. The wiper won't work, if the sensors think the window is down. Plus, the window won't go down, if the sensors think the wiper is on. ;)

And I'd doubt your scanner would tell you anything about the locker.

gavman
04-04-2009, 08:31 AM
Yeah steam clean them if you can:D

dirka dave
04-04-2009, 09:47 AM
Thanks, I'll try that...

d0ubledown
04-04-2009, 10:31 AM
could be a number of things. check the connections esp the ground from the grey wire mod (4runners actually is the blue/red wire mod...tacos are the grey wire). check all wires and connections going to the diff.

pull the actuator, and cycle the locker button. let it hang, and with a friend, or with your head hanging under the belly, watch the round gear on the actuator, see if it spins when you hit the button. if it turns, the actuator is OK. if not, check the connections to it. the actuator also gets stuck some times with mud n dirt/water, and can be opened up to clean and lubed.

where the hole is where the gear from the actuator goes...stick your finger in there and feel for the fork arm. should be able to slide it sideways back n forth.

before putting the actuator back, slide the fork out towads towards the DS wheel (unlocked). it should line up with the gear that way.

other things to check is the sensor which tells the ecu if locker is engaged.

also..youre certain its not engaging? sometime itll engage but wont indicate it on the dash. do figure 8s and feel for binding.

hopefully your actuator isnt fubard...there spendy.

X2 in the window not being fully up for the wiper to work.

lizard
04-04-2009, 01:17 PM
I think theres some fuses in the LT side kickpanel too my 94 had some there.

this may help too.
http://www.sleeoffroad.com/technical/tz_diff_lock_actuator.htm

dirka dave
04-04-2009, 08:38 PM
Great info....I'll try that out tormorow !!

[cheers]

dirka dave
04-12-2009, 11:24 AM
The rear wiper and window seem to have a mind of their own.:confused0006:

Some times they work and sometimes they don't.

I wiggled the wires for the E-locker and it changed nothing, I checked all the fuses that I could find, (I even bought a manual, a shitty hanes one).

I guess I'll have to pull out the 3rd and have a look...:mad:

gavman
04-12-2009, 11:43 AM
The rear wiper and window seem to have a mind of their own.:confused0006:

Some times they work and sometimes they don't.

I wiggled the wires for the E-locker and it changed nothing, I checked all the fuses that I could find, (I even bought a manual, a shitty hanes one).

I guess I'll have to pull out the 3rd and have a look...:mad:

Don't pull out the third, that is almost certainly not the problem... You can actually see inside the third enough when you take off the e locker motor housing and actually lock/unlock the third with a screwdriver to check function.
Wireing problem is your most likely cause...

dirka dave
04-12-2009, 11:49 AM
Ok, thanks...

That saves me a ton of time.

Sounds like you have experience in this area...:o

dirka dave
04-12-2009, 11:56 AM
I bought a manual, but it does't have any wiring for E-locker...

Does any one have a manual that does ?:dontknow:

nbrowser
04-12-2009, 12:28 PM
hrm on the wiper/window issue..check the ground going to the hatch....they sometimes fucker up.

gavman
04-12-2009, 03:01 PM
Unscrew the motor from the housing (two 12 mil bolts I think) and activate the switch, if it does not turn then the problem is either the motor or the wireing leading to it.
If you take the two very small bolts holding the motor together be very careful as it can be tough to get it together again under the truck...
Have you unplugged the harness that connects the e-locker to the rest of the loom? If so was it wet?
If it was wet you have likely blown a fuse or maybe a relay switch.
I did this on mine once, blew two relays from the connection getting wet and had to replace them. Mine is custom wired though and not standard toy stuff.
You have to put electric grease in that connection to keep it waterproof:)

RCCruiser
04-12-2009, 05:55 PM
Like it's been said before...just unplug the 2 electrical connections and clean them. Wiggling won't solve it. ;)
If that won't work, THEN dig deeper.[16]

dirka dave
04-12-2009, 06:17 PM
Like it's been said before...just unplug the 2 electrical connections and clean them. Wiggling won't solve it. ;)
If that won't work, THEN dig deeper.[16]

You still owe me beer...:eek:

dirka dave
07-03-2009, 07:17 PM
Got this far today....

now what should I do ?

I am going to take this thing on the RIPSAW BITCHEZ !!! [36][36][36]so I think a rear locker is important since I will be running mallterrains that are BALD.

Help please !

dirka dirka.

dirka dave
07-05-2009, 01:06 PM
Anyone ?

RCCruiser
07-06-2009, 03:45 PM
Well...I would have checked the wires to see if it was getting signal, before I took the actual locker motor apart. But that's just me. [16]

Tehaids
10-30-2010, 08:51 PM
Im having some issues with my e-locker as well, did you ever figure out what the problem was?

d0ubledown
10-30-2010, 10:44 PM
dirka did you get this sorted?

the images you posted, what you took off was just the end plate. to remove the actuator, you need to remove the 3 bolts/nuts as indicated in this pic:

then you can pull the actuator out, and will see the gear that i mentioned a few posts up. you will also be able to see into the housing, and the piece (rod that is sticking out in the pic with the end plate removed) that slides back and forth. this is geared and slides the fork which dis/engages the sleeve that locks the spiders together.

tehaids...what issues are you having?

Tehaids
10-31-2010, 12:06 AM
The locker doesn't lock. Just the flashing light on dash. I tried the slow figure eights hoping it would lockup, but it didn't seem to. I haven't tried taking the motor out yet and pressing the switch, but hopefully will have time tomorrow to give it a try.

Murd0c
10-31-2010, 12:51 AM
Yep Dirka got it fixed. He had to go to the wrecker and get a new motor which cost him $450.

Have you done the blue wire mod yet? The locker will only engage in 4lo so if you were in 4hi it would just flash.

dirka dave
10-31-2010, 10:09 AM
I pulled the entire motor off and replaced it.

Mine was all corroded and came apart in many, many pieces.

Murd0c
10-31-2010, 11:54 AM
I pulled the entire motor off and replaced it.

Mine was all corroded and came apart in many, many pieces.

didnt I already say that :rolleyes:

Tehaids
10-31-2010, 06:30 PM
Hmm, so i finished the "Grey wire mod" to make testing easier. I can hear the motor try to lock the axle, but no success. I know its not actually locking due to the one tire fire on the wet grass. I have heard storied of binding and all that is required is to loosen off one of the bolts a little. Might have to give that a try. Im not looking forward to $450 for a new motor.

RCCruiser
10-31-2010, 06:47 PM
It only takes about an hour to remove the third, so you can bench test it. And that includes driving to the beer store first. ;)

dirka dave
11-03-2010, 07:59 AM
Hmm, so i finished the "Grey wire mod" to make testing easier. I can hear the motor try to lock the axle, but no success. I know its not actually locking due to the one tire fire on the wet grass. I have heard storied of binding and all that is required is to loosen off one of the bolts a little. Might have to give that a try. Im not looking forward to $450 for a new motor.

Mine acted the same....the locker light was flashing and not engaging.

d0ubledown
11-03-2010, 09:04 AM

how can you tell if the grey wire mod works if the elocker didnt work in the first place? what bolt is being suggested to loosen?

pull the actuator and do some diagnosing. it takes 5 min to pull it...just 3 bolts and some breather lines. ive got an article here from one of my magazines that goes through an 8" LP elocker rebuild with pics. i can scan it and post it up if you want...

my guess is the motor is all gummed up with dirt etc. it can get pretty nasty in there...