PDA

View Full Version : Good Mechanics Shop

yoda thrills
03-30-2009, 11:52 PM
lookin for a GOOD shop or even a REPUTABLE garage mechanic to do the piston rings and valves for my 22r with a 20r head.
i have lots of blow by (smoke nd oil exiting the breather filter on the valve cover)
i would definetly be willing to help or just watch so i can get an understanding of how to do the job
i have been told of.......B and J in poco or somthing. but im curious as to what maple ridge offers for mechanics
thank you greatly
bottoms up

Spedley
03-31-2009, 01:40 AM
Go for it yourself! Take the cash you would pay someone else and buy the tools and literature (pics too) and learn. Not a really hard project. Just a little confidence and a wtf? attitude and you'll be rockin in no time!

pumpkin
03-31-2009, 05:54 AM
B&J is a good machine shop, I've been using them for over 25 years.

Toyquad
03-31-2009, 07:51 AM
yup b&j is good.

go buy a haynes manual and do it yourself. it aint that hard. only special tool you will need is a torque wrench.... and depending if you get the crank ground or not... plastagauge

yoda thrills
03-31-2009, 11:20 AM
i do own a haynse manual.
and have a general understanding of the motor so on nd so forth
should i pull the motor or can i leave it in the truck what would be best?
on a scale 1-5, 5 being the hardest what would ya'll rate this job as?
personally i want to do this job, but at the same time i know that if i bring it to a shop the chances of shit goin rong are alot less than if i did it my self. nd the shop will give me a warranty ( i hope )
thanks

Toyquad
03-31-2009, 11:31 AM
it all depends how much $$ you wanna spend.

proper way would be to pull the motor, take it to a machine shop, have them bore the cylinders, grind the crank and size the rods. Have the head planed and pessure checked. new valve guides and valves ground etc.

or, leave engine in truck, drop the oil pan, remove the head, pull pistons, hone cylinders re-install with new rings, send the head to get re done and slam it back together

yoda thrills
03-31-2009, 11:51 AM
it all depends how much $$ you wanna spend.

proper way would be to pull the motor, take it to a machine shop, have them bore the cylinders, grind the crank and size the rods. Have the head planed and pessure checked. new valve guides and valves ground etc.

or, leave engine in truck, drop the oil pan, remove the head, pull pistons, hone cylinders re-install with new rings, send the head to get re done and slam it back together

i think i would pull the motor regardless, but approx. what would optin A roughly cost?

i want the best results for the cheapest price, due to very tight budget.
but obviously i will not cheap out on quality parts

dirka dave
03-31-2009, 12:04 PM
B&J is a good machine shop, I've been using them for over 25 years.

Yep great shop, They built my Toyota engine and two boat motors for for my friends.

Seriously, do it your self, its an easy job takes a weekend to rebuild if you have all the parts ready to go.

I would price out a COMPLETE rebuild kit and have the head tested..

yoda thrills
03-31-2009, 12:20 PM
have the head tested......
explain

dirka dave
03-31-2009, 12:25 PM
Tested for straightnes, valves, valve guides, cracks Etc...