PDA

View Full Version : welding to axle tubes

Explorer guy418
03-29-2009, 08:15 PM
i know this is probly a repost but i couldnt find it anywhere. what advice can you give when welding mounts to a dana60 axle tubes

jonny6door
03-29-2009, 08:31 PM
My advice: dont do it.

welding mild steel to cast iron doesnt work. when you weld mild steel to mild steel it expands and contracts evenly as it heats and cools. cast iron doesnt expand and contract at the same rate. if you weld to cast iron, as the weld deposit cools and shrinks, it will basically shrinks too fast and will pull away and crack along the weld deposit edge and cast iron. if you dont believe me weld one edge of a straight piece of scrap steel plate to the housing let it cool and tap it with a hammer. it will fall right off.

the knuckles are different. they are made from cast steel and you can weld to them no problem( they come from the factory fully welded to the mild steel axle tubes). the axle tubes on the other end are pressed into the diff housing and plug welded. if you were able to weld to cast iron the factory would have welded all the way around the axle tube where it meets the diff housing.

In conclusion, dont do it. if you want to put a link mount above the housing make a bridge over it from axle tube to axle tube.

If you want to TRY to weld mild steel to cast iron using regular mig wire pre heat and post heat treatments are needed. cast iron rods are preffered. this method is a very temporary fix and will not withstand any sort of vibration.
________
260 d (http://www.mercedes-wiki.com/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_260_D)

Explorer guy418
03-29-2009, 08:46 PM
i think i may have worded it wrong...... looking for advice on welding to the dana 60 axle tubes....................... sorry JOHNNY

4Lo
03-29-2009, 08:51 PM
Yeah the tubes are okay to weld to .

jonny6door
03-29-2009, 10:40 PM
yeah tubes are fine to weld to. 1/2" wall thickness. what kind of advice do you want? its just like welding to any mild steel.
________
DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES ADVICE (http://www.tv-gossip.com/desperate-housewives/)

Troy
03-29-2009, 10:55 PM
yeah tubes are fine to weld to. 1/2" wall thickness. what kind of advice do you want? its just like welding to any mild steel.

haha if you only read what he had asked before you got all techinal on his ass[cheers]

barracuda
03-29-2009, 11:06 PM
make sure its clean and hot enough to get good penetration .

Explorer guy418
03-29-2009, 11:48 PM
i just read a few say pre heat some say fuck it.... i dont dont want this shit to break off...

Troy
03-30-2009, 01:29 AM
its a shock mount dude, just weld it on, do a couple passes and throw on the spray paint

jonny6door
03-30-2009, 07:33 PM
i just read a few say pre heat some say fuck it.... i dont dont want this shit to break off...

no pre heat needed on axle tubes or inner C's.
________
OG KUSH PICTURES (http://trichomes.org/marijuana-strains/og-kush)

m j
04-23-2009, 07:12 AM
what welder are you using?
1/2" thick takes some heat to glue

Troy
04-23-2009, 06:08 PM
is it welded yet

Explorer guy418
04-23-2009, 08:45 PM
nope... havnt even started the project yet..

Apathy
04-24-2009, 09:43 AM
get it warm.. it will be easier to weld and ensure better penetration.

its not critical, but it doesn't hurt.

and you can weld to cast, but you have to preheat, post heat, use nickle rod.. ect.