PDA

View Full Version : 82 22R starting problem when warmed up

fhorsley
03-24-2009, 04:35 PM
My 82 toyota with a 22R has a hard time starting after it has been running. It seems that it might be flooding b/c it will start if I floor the thottle. I have checked the carb once over as well as the ignition but have found nothing wrong. It idles fine and runs well, but after I turn it off it has a hard time starting.

Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

RCCruiser
03-24-2009, 06:02 PM
Mine does the same thing right now. My plan is to lower the float level.

But if you look in the manual under "hard starts hot" it lists a couple things:

-air filter dirty
-fuel not reaching carb
-vapour lock
-bad engine ground
-choke sticking
-defective pick-up coil in distributor
-float level too high

yoda thrills
03-25-2009, 08:46 AM
Mine does the same thing right now. My plan is to lower the float level.

But if you look in the manual under "hard starts hot" it lists a couple things:

-air filter dirty
-fuel not reaching carb
-vapour lock
-bad engine ground
-choke sticking
-defective pick-up coil in distributor
-float level too high

how do you lower the float level??

RCCruiser
03-25-2009, 02:58 PM
Geez...it's been years since I tinkered with carbs...

If I remember correctly, you take the float bowl apart, and just bend the stop tabs slightly. Put it back together, and look through the little window to see if the level is in the middle. If not, try again....

SupraFiend
06-18-2009, 12:02 AM
I have a solution, its called Fuel Injection ;)

Got a buddy who lives in Vernon too who could bring it up if you were interested in my 22re setup (bottom of the page)...

http://www.pbase.com/suprafiend/celica_ra65

arjan
06-19-2009, 05:44 PM
-fuel not reaching carb

Seems like an likely cause. When you press the pedal, you pump gas into the carb. If it's already flooded, that would make it worse, would it not?

dirka dave
06-19-2009, 08:59 PM
Fuel pump ?

camodan
07-09-2009, 06:23 AM
Well I have adjusted my float level about 6000000000000 times in the last 3 months I have had my truck on the road. Had some crazy fuel issues. Before you go playing around with the float check the fuel filter(s) if they are clean then go on but Really make sure they are clean, I would just replace them anyway because If they are not clean enuf it will not allow enuf fuel to go to the carb which will make it hard to start and hard to run ( Took me a week to figure this out I got new filters and everything changed, even the float level) after you check or change you filters blow through the lines that go to the tank but bypass the filter so you might have to blow throu the supply line from 2 differant spots (this is just to make sure all your lines are clear) put it all back togreather and then start it up and let it get warm. Then check the float level in the little hourglass on the front of the carb it should be in the middle or close to the middle. I wouldnt be to worried about the fuel pump if it runs then its likely ok. If the float is too High it could overflow and dump fuel into the carb. If it is too low you could starve it and it will seem like your running out of gas. If you need a hand adjusting the float let me know I have gotten it down to about 9 min start to finish on a new carb. If it is in the right spot tho best not to mess with it. What is your Idle speed set and? and what kind of choke do you have? (water, electric or manual)

Cheers,
Camodan

fhorsley
07-25-2009, 10:17 PM
Problem solved. It was a wornout coil that wasn't producing enough spark and the plugs were getting built up with crud.

Thanks for the input