PDA

View Full Version : help removing hitch on zj

Fillibert
03-18-2009, 11:47 PM
I want to remove the hitch on my G Cherokee 95. It's fairly rusted so I don't want to break any bolts off. Unfortunately the air compressor is broken so I will try it by hand. Any suggestions?
Also basically the main idea is to remove everything I don't use to make my jeep lighter both for fuel economy and for performance any ideas r welcome. Thanx.

Sini
03-19-2009, 12:01 AM
Hmmmm, no ideas sorry; but if you get it off, how badly rusted is it and any idea if it would work on a '98 ZJ?

RoadKilL
03-23-2009, 01:17 PM
its only a couple bolts,put some penetrating oil on them,let em sit overnight an have at'er with an electric impact if u got no air[cheers]

jeffh
03-23-2009, 04:43 PM
^ werd, my junk princess auto cordless impact is awsome

Troy
03-23-2009, 04:47 PM
I want to remove the hitch on my G Cherokee 95. It's fairly rusted so I don't want to break any bolts off. Unfortunately the air compressor is broken so I will try it by hand. Any suggestions?
Also basically the main idea is to remove everything I don't use to make my jeep lighter both for fuel economy and for performance any ideas r welcome. Thanx.

uhhh its a trailer hitch. im sure some peoples beer guts on here weigh more than a hitch does

nbrowser
03-23-2009, 05:51 PM
Hitches can also become a great recovery point if the need arises.....

jeffh
03-23-2009, 08:46 PM
or if you have friends with a yota, youll need it to yank them out without hurting your jeep

Dieseljeep
03-23-2009, 09:13 PM
Id leave the hitch on it can be good ofr a recovery point,never mind the need to tow something(boat,trailer) you will only remove 20 lbs,for economy i would make sure the alignment is on the money good for 10% more and then change the O2 sensor that will add another 5% . Do a good tune up and make sure that the tire pressure is set to side wall pressure it will roughen the ride but add another point or two.

D-Ass
03-23-2009, 09:54 PM
LEAVE IT ON!! if you wheel at all get a recaver hook or loop and have fun you gain shit all they only way 25-25lbs not worth removing[cheers]

mus-Tard
03-23-2009, 11:53 PM
used brake fluid works good as penitrating oil. let somthing sit on over night and then take a blow torch to them. if the bolts break great. get some new ones.

Fillibert
03-24-2009, 02:37 AM
Thanx for the replies. I was gonna keep the hitch and put it back on when I go out. That's why it is important not to break the bolts off. I read somewhere that a guy removed the hitch and gas tank plate and his truck went up like an inch in the back. Anyway I guess I'll keep it on and go to the gym.

jeffh
03-24-2009, 10:35 AM
bolts like that really arent meant to come in and out all the time

Kraqa
03-24-2009, 12:33 PM
they are a weird stud on the front one and the back two are th espot welded on thread certs.

they are not a bolt on take off everytime you go out. your usually lucked to get them to unbolt once without them spinnign in the unobody and havign to zip cut or torche the heads off.

if you wana make that thing better on gas. move the IAT to the air box. take the restrictor out of the intake tube. get a good air filter and spark plugs and do an overall lube and tune service.

Fillibert
03-25-2009, 12:13 AM
Thanx http://www.cherokeeforum.com/showthread.php?t=2599