PDA

View Full Version : Newb questions ... I'm sure there'll be more!

Sini
03-18-2009, 08:35 PM
Okay so after having spent FAR too much time searching through these forums which btw are an awesome resource, I'm still unclear on a couple of things (maybe it has to do with basic difference of opinion, who knows)

Initially I had thought to 'baby' my Green Jeep except after hours spent searching through various threads on this forum I've reached a different conclusion; I can 'baby' it by giving it a whole buncha upgrades and making it my main offroading machine!

It's a '96 XJ, and so part of what I want to do is make it more comfortable to ride in, as well as more capable and it appears there's very little contest as to what the best suspension kits are, Rubicon... but I'm still unsure on a couple things.

Between these two: (Selected based on hours of studying lifted XJ pics through these pages, and deciding what 'size' lift I like best)

RE6130 4.5" XJ Super-Flex Kit - The 4.5" Super-Flex replaces all your suspension hardware with Rubicon’s top-of-the-line springs, and arms for clearance of 32x11.50 tires

RE6111 4.5" XJ Super-Flex Kit - The 6111 kit is an affordable alternative to our RE 6130 4.5" kit. This kit provides the same clearances, but uses an add-a-leaf and lift block for the rear suspension lift

my question is: What is the better of the two? Is there better ones that those? I looked up the difference between leaf and springs systems and that's where I got a little confused; I gather that leafs will always find the axle and springs won't always and need ...arms..(?) but beyond that, what are the pros/cons of one over the other? The 6130 says it "replaces all your suspension hardware" -- I gather this means that the 6111 does not??

I've also seen a number of threads discussing that sometimes you need to change the axle??? Are there better axles than others? Are axle's specific in that they're made specifically for the year and make of the vehicles? Is it necessary to change it / does it depend on the leaf/spring decision? Where does one shop for a new axle anyways?

Okay that should be good for now :) I'm sure I'll have more questions later :D

Thanks!
Tami

Moondog
03-18-2009, 08:48 PM
In my opinion the best RE kit for an XJ is http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Jeep/XJ/Product.aspx?part=RE6300

Moondog
03-18-2009, 08:52 PM
What axles do you have in there right now dana 30 up front of course but out back a dana 35 or a chrysler 8.25? If it is th 8.25 it should be ok if you are gentle with it if its a 35 its poo change it best 2 swaps would be a dana 44 or a ford 8.8 get a 97 or newer and you will get disc brakes in the back;)

Sini
03-18-2009, 08:56 PM
Okay I've gotta ask why? I see that one is 5.5" so its 1" higher than the height I had selected... do you think that one is best based on height/weight/center of gravity results etc???
I also saw something somewhere on one of these threads about lifts "settling" although maybe that was about 'other' types of lift kits.

Moondog what factors in your opinion, make that kit the best one? What sets it apart above the other choices?

I don't speak 'mechanic' language yet so that's why I'm asking, I can read the descriptions sure, but to be completely honest about it, I am not 100% sure that I understand what the words in the descriptions will translate into meaning for the vehicle, if that makes sense...

Sini
03-18-2009, 08:59 PM
What axles do you have in there right now dana 30 up front of course but out back a dana 35 or a chrysler 8.25? If it is th 8.25 it should be ok if you are gentle with it if its a 35 its poo change it best 2 swaps would be a dana 44 or a ford 8.8 get a 97 or newer and you will get disc brakes in the back;)

I don't know what axles I have in there right now, but Green Jeep is going in for an oil change soon so I'll ask my mechanic for the info to find out...

I'm not anticipating doing anything overly severe with the vehicle either... the entire rear braking system (drums, shoes, pads, springs, (apparently that holds everything to do with the brakes together?) ...rotos, etc, the whole thing got redone in January)

Moondog
03-18-2009, 09:02 PM
Best flex and ride in my opinion that is the lift kit that I was going to put in my XJ before I sold it. Best thing to do with your lift kit questions is to give Jeep Thrills a call ask for B or pm him on here they no these lift kits better than anybody and they will sell you the right RE kit that suits your needs [cheers]

Sini
03-18-2009, 09:10 PM
How much difference will the 1" higher make on the center of gravity for 'road' driving? I know I will still want to use the thing on the road, (although that'll be the ZJ's main domain)

I've also noticed though on my XJ the last little while that it has started to ....slide(?) Before it'd go over bumps straight as an arrow, now if I go over a bump in the road, I can feel it ...slide...(?) to one side or the other. I'm going to get it looked at either this week or next, but in the meantime, based on that description, is there any ideas anyone here has on what might be 'going' or causing it?

Sini
03-18-2009, 09:10 PM
Thanks for your answers btw Moondog :)

nbrowser
03-18-2009, 09:19 PM
Lascivia, simply get under your Cherokee and take a pic of the diff and post it here, anyone here can instantly telll ya what axle ya got.....

Sini
03-18-2009, 09:20 PM
Another excellent idea...

I shall do that tomorrow!

Happypants
03-18-2009, 09:26 PM
Get the 5.5" xtreme duty lift with the long arms, then if you wanna go higher all you gotta do is get the 7.5" coils and some shocks, but you will also need a
Sye and prolly a new rear shaft, if you have a d35 then u should swap it over for a 8.8 or xj d44 IF you can find one that is lol, the kit is easy to do in a day and the sye is really easy to do too

nbrowser
03-18-2009, 09:31 PM
And yes, I'll chime in here, the 5.5 Extreme Duty while pricey is the best option gives you 5.5 inches of real lift, Long Arms for the front axle which aids in on road prowess as wel as crazy flex on the trails, Just ask whitetrashxj, he's got a long arm in his XJ....crazy flex and it's stable too.

Sini
03-18-2009, 09:35 PM
Okay, adding these to the list of things to keep an eye out for.

Hoping to be able to get at least some of this stuff by the end of the summer... $$ is definitely a factor.

Sini
03-18-2009, 09:40 PM
Whitetrash if I see you at an outing can I hop in your passenger seat and see how the ride feels, since my XJ is stock?

nbrowser
03-18-2009, 10:39 PM
eh, easy way to experience crazy flex in an XJ, remove your sway bars, I did that to mine which I think it's not lifted, some have said it looks to have at least 2 inches extra lift in it, flexes pretty well in the front end, on road it's a little dicey but she sure goes like mad on the trails. and I did mange to fit a set of 31s on it. pretty much a nasty trail rig as it sits, one day it'll be long armed too......Here's a pic, tires are an honest 31 inches is diameter, on 15x8 wheels 3.75 inch baskspace so they tend to stick out more than stock wheels....Look at the tire tucking on the left front, works wonders off road....taking those sway bars out.

Happypants
03-18-2009, 11:01 PM
Whitetrash if I see you at an outing can I hop in your passenger seat and see how the ride feels, since my XJ is stock?

depending on which xj i got out there but ya, you might be a little more scared to ride in a jeep after if im in my green one:party0010:

and yea, if you got the money, get a lift kit, stock wheeling and rocks fuck up the undercarriage and it makes it a bitch to put new parts on like for instance long arm kits and such, trying to line up a crossmember on a dented up unibody fawkin licks ass

Sini
03-18-2009, 11:09 PM
Hmmm, will have to make sure I get my green Jeep in good shape first, or at least confirm that its in good shape first, prev owner put quite a few knocks on it and before that it was a forestry vehicle so who knows!

Fillibert
03-18-2009, 11:39 PM
From what I read best value is http://zoneoffroad.com/product?ki=35&vi=958

And for the white jeep sway bar road flex fix http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/susp/ZJ_swaybar_Qdisco/

B
03-18-2009, 11:42 PM
[quote=Fillibert;1388549]From what I read best value is http://zoneoffroad.com/product?ki=35&vi=958

And for the white jeep sway bar road flex fix http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/susp/ZJ_swaybar_Qdisco/[/quot

sorry that zone shit is just lowest bidder crap .. you get what cha pay for and that shit won't last a year [cheers]

Happypants
03-19-2009, 01:53 PM
From what I read best value is http://zoneoffroad.com/product?ki=35&vi=958

And for the white jeep sway bar road flex fix http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/susp/ZJ_swaybar_Qdisco/

zone offroad is fucking trash, put any of thier lift products on your truck and i wont wheel with ya cause i dont wanna be towing your ass out of the bush when it does

dirka dave
03-19-2009, 02:07 PM
The easiest thing to do is to buy a Toyota....

DeeDee
03-19-2009, 03:09 PM
The easiest thing to do is to buy a Toyota....

I was gonna say buy a tj or a jk but even a toy is better then a chero ;)

Happypants
03-19-2009, 03:09 PM
The easiest thing to do is to burn a Toyota....

fixed it for ya mang [cheers]

HEAVY METAL
03-19-2009, 03:22 PM
[

trying to line up a crossmember on a dented up unibody fawkin licks ass[/quote]

noooo wheeling a unibody rig SUCKS ASS......yo

nbrowser
03-19-2009, 05:12 PM
[quote=Fillibert;1388549]From what I read best value is http://zoneoffroad.com/product?ki=35&vi=958

And for the white jeep sway bar road flex fix http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/susp/ZJ_swaybar_Qdisco/[/quot

sorry that zone shit is just lowest bidder crap .. you get what cha pay for and that shit won't last a year [cheers]

eh I"m not about to do up custom quick discos or even get pre-made ones, if need be and a highway trip is needed to be done in the Jeep, I can whip the front bar back into it in reletively short order, still got it and the hardware that holds it in.

Sini
03-19-2009, 05:19 PM
Best thing to do with your lift kit questions is to give Jeep Thrills a call ask for B or pm him on here they no these lift kits better than anybody and they will sell you the right RE kit that suits your needs [cheers]

PM'ed and called, thanks for the suggestion :) Learned a lot! Thanks B!
Now all I gotta do is work my ass off and start saving!

nbrowser
03-19-2009, 05:29 PM
Yah Bryson is awesome to deal with....can't wait to get my rig down to the Thrills shop n buy some parts....she needs levelling badly.....

Happypants
03-19-2009, 06:26 PM
[

trying to line up a crossmember on a dented up unibody fawkin licks ass

noooo wheeling a unibody rig SUCKS ASS......yo[/QUOTE]

nopeasshole2 [cheers]

Fillibert
03-19-2009, 08:33 PM
ok so is Rubicon the best option for a lift or is it the safe option. What about other options like rancho or something. What about the shocks, rubicon doesn't supply them in the kit I think.

Happypants
03-19-2009, 08:37 PM
Rubicon has the option of getting shocks with the kits, rubicon kits don't sag like other kits and are very well designed, in lift kits, you get what you pay for, get shitass lift, shitass ride, plain and simple

Sini
03-19-2009, 08:45 PM
Fillibert if you change the settings for what threads show (I think its defaulted in last 30 days or something) then you can read back through the threads and Rubicon definitely was the one that stood out as the single most recommended brand, for sure.

Got a quote today which was with shocks added as well. :) Now I just have to start saving!

Fillibert
03-19-2009, 08:51 PM
so you suggest sticking to rubicon for all the components. What do you have and how do you like it?

Sini
03-19-2009, 09:00 PM
I suggest doing some research and reading and seeing what other people's experiences are with the other kits, and determining what you feel will best suit your budget & expectations for what you want to be able to do with your vehicle.

Me, I only have stock so far but I was raised on the knowledge that if you are going to bother getting something its worthwhile to wait a little longer, and pay a little more, and get something of quality. I spent the last week on here going through lift options for a Cherokee XJ since that's what I've got, and after talking to B I'm probably going to go with the RE 6130 kit, and shocks. That's based on my own budget and what I expect to be doing with the Jeep, the 6300 is an amazing kit yeah and I might still consider it... but it also costs the same as what I paid for the Jeep itself, by the time all is said and done. Depends on how the summer work goes :)

jeffh
03-19-2009, 10:44 PM
hey fellow newbs

i just took this plunge you guys are talking about taking about 3 months ago

went from stock 92 cherokee to RE 3.5" superflex with RE adjsutable track-bar RE monotube shocks aussie locker and 31" bfg muds in a matter of a month

heres what i think from wheeling mine basically every weekend from when i bought it in october stock till now all lifted and awsome

the RE stuff is awsome, install was as simple as one could expect, the instructions were good. the fit and finish on all the parts it beautiful. it took about a week for everything to settle in and now she rides like a cadillac on the street and even better off road when the tires are aired down

with the swaybar disconnected it flexs crazy and as a package the silly thnig goes anywhere i point it

buy the adjustable track bar right off the bat if its not included in the kit, i didnt and wish i had, it ended up costing me alot in hsipping after the fact and the alignment was wack fore the 3 weeks i had to wait for it

and buy now for what you wanna do later, im already looking at my 3.5 and thinking, should i buy the long arm kit boost it up higher and put biger tires on? having spent the $$ already tho its gonna wait till my tires are worn off i guess

and Bryce is the man, nothing like being able to phone someone up in the middle of an install and get strait goods on some questions we had with my locker

RoadKilL
03-23-2009, 01:24 PM
i found this site the other day,lots of good reading in here for everyone,

with a jeep anyway [36]

http://www.billhughes.com/jeep_bookmark.htm

Ironman
03-23-2009, 01:39 PM
Easiest think to do now is to take all the mnoney you think youll want to spend on upgrading your jeep, pour gas on it and have a good fire.then burn the jeep[cheers]

bryceyoda
03-23-2009, 03:52 PM
i have the rubicon express 4.5" lift. remember after you buy the lift you have to buy and install a sye kit.a swaybar quick disco set. a drive shaft. all that stuff adds up! but once installed its got a nice ride with tons of flex. all the bushings are replacable on the lift and pretty cheap. good luck hope u have lots of money to invest!

D-Ass
03-23-2009, 10:11 PM
[quote=whitetrashxj;1388755]zone offroad is fucking trash, put any of thier lift products on your truck and i wont wheel with ya cause i dont wanna be towing your ass out of the bush when it does[/quote

really :confused0006:I have to admit yes the add a leafs suck balls but the kit is really nice and it is just a re badged bds so I am fairly happy with it

Fillibert
03-24-2009, 02:34 AM
:I have to admit yes the add a leafs suck balls but the kit is really nice and it is just a re badged bds so I am fairly happy with it

That's what I heard too but everyone here disagrees. Also I thought it was cheaper cause it's local somehow.:confused: