PDA

View Full Version : $$$! to install locker?

Chris.S.
03-13-2009, 10:52 AM
Does it sound reasonable that a shop would charge $450.00 to install a lock-right into my 8.8 rear end? And $700.00 for my D35 front? Just seems kinda high to me but I don't know about these sorts of things....

I thought about having them do it, but after seeing that price I think I'll take my chances and do it myself. I've wrenched my own cars/trucks off and on since I've been driving (15-16 yrs). I've always managed to get everything put back together and working-I've replaced alternator's, water pumps, brake pads (never shoes), brake calipers & lines, shocks, little bit of bodywork and other simple stuff lie oil changes/spark plugs etc, I'm sure I'm forgetting some things but you get the idea. What I'm trying to say is I know the difference between 5/8 and 9/16 but I've never opened up a diff before or even thought about tinkering inside there.

The website for the detroit locker says if you can do brakes you can do this so I think I should be allright, but I'm looking for some feedabck from other people who've done it...

Thanks~

toyon35s
03-13-2009, 10:55 AM
yup,it costed me 500$ just to have a shop instal and set up my gears in my thirds on my toyota[cheers]

Apathy
03-13-2009, 11:02 AM
its a lock right,,easy, take you 2 hours tops.

B
03-13-2009, 12:19 PM
at our shop we are 4 hours on a rear and 6 on a front ... sometimes they go easy and we win sometimes they don't and you win but if done by a shop you would expect to have warrentry on the work done and they deserve a fair rate for having the time, tools and know how to complete the job and you get a problem free install ...

m2c

Explorer guy418
03-13-2009, 12:41 PM
d35 front takes alot longer to take apart IMO

Apathy
03-13-2009, 01:35 PM
d35 front takes alot longer to take apart IMO

definately, If i'm not mistaken, you can do an 8.8 without pulling the carrier. for a lockright that is. but i could be wrong.

Chris.S.
03-13-2009, 01:45 PM
Allright, thanks for quick feedback gang...

So, it sounds like their price is fair, just more than I expected. I wish I could afford to have the peace of mind that they installed it and would warranty their work but I can just afford the locker itself so I'm glad to hear the install should be doable by me.

Maybe when I'm ready to go I'll try and find someone who wants to come help me (in exchange for beer of course) but that's at least a few weeks off...

MikeWild
03-13-2009, 02:03 PM
I'd get a professional to do the front. Pretty much the entire front end has to come out, radius arm, ttb, etc; it's a real PITA

Rears are a piece of cake.

Troy
03-13-2009, 02:21 PM
its all a piece of cake. the front end is time consuming.

with the your abilities is sounds like you can handle the rear install no problem. you shouldn't have to pull the rear carrier at all, just the gear cluster and some pins to put in the lockright 8.8

Chris.S.
03-14-2009, 11:42 AM
Right on, thanks for the feedback. Looks like I'll be doing the rear myself and I'll have the shop do the front...

dirka dave
03-14-2009, 03:24 PM
A long time ago, before I was a mechanic, I sent my toy 3rds to have a detroit installed in the rear and an ARB in the front.
It cost me $150 each.

At the time Labour was $50 hr so 3hrs per....

jayinsurrey
03-14-2009, 04:56 PM
I'd get a professional to do the front. Pretty much the entire front end has to come out, radius arm, ttb, etc; it's a real PITA

Rears are a piece of cake.

The ttb and the radius arms stay. Unbolt the d shaft. You pull the axle shafts, and unbolt the pumpkin or 3rd member and out it comes. One stub shaft will still be attached to the pumpkin, because of the c clip, unless you have eliminated the c clip. Then you could take the pumpkin and locker to a shop to have it installed and then put the diff back in yourself. Might save you on some of the labour.

Marko
03-14-2009, 07:06 PM
On fords its easy pulling the front Pumpkin off...Pull axles and drive shaft up front and she unbolts right off.

Lurker
03-30-2009, 09:15 AM
I was quoted ten hours for a pair of dana 60's myself. So I guess that they're not that far off? That was install of gears and carriers.

thrillbilly
03-30-2009, 11:41 AM
get an aussie not a lockright

Apathy
03-30-2009, 01:59 PM
get an aussie not a lockright

if you can,, i second this comment.

designed by the same guy, and he'll tell you the aussie is better.

StinkFinger
03-30-2009, 09:28 PM
youll have to run the gear pattern and chech the backlsh when it goes back in so as long as you have the tools to do so and the knolege to use them no prob and i havent come across a carior that you can install the locker in with out removing the ring gear whitch means the carior will have to be re moved if this is the case ant shims that come out ust go back in the side they came from also a case spredder is handy to have

thers a diferance betwen slaped together and profesionaly installed and a reson your paying the $$$ that you are to some one that knows what there doing

however if your care full you might get lucky

Murd0c
03-30-2009, 10:34 PM
take out your 3rds and bring it to them. You will have a shit load of cash.

Troy
03-31-2009, 12:16 AM
take out your 3rds and bring it to them. You will have a shit load of cash.

ford 8.8 rear doesn't have a 3rd member

not everything is like toyotas:dontknow:

Murd0c
03-31-2009, 08:42 AM

well sorry I didn't have a clue mr know it all[wako]

MikeWild
03-31-2009, 10:02 AM

[iagree]

Some things were simply engineered a lot stronger and smarter! :D

u2slow
03-31-2009, 11:01 AM
Do you have a posi or open diff in the 8.8? AFAIK, the lockright only fits the open case.

Troy
04-01-2009, 12:29 AM
well sorry I didn't have a clue mr know it all[wako]

no need to be sorry, you never have a clue anyways

Chris.S.
04-01-2009, 07:28 AM
Do you have a posi or open diff in the 8.8? AFAIK, the lockright only fits the open case.

I've kinda lost trac of this theread, if youi're asking me then yes I have an open 8.8

Murd0c
04-01-2009, 10:10 AM
no need to be sorry, you never have a clue anyways

Your a young fucken punk and I'm getting tired of your shit.