PDA

View Full Version : cevota conversion questions

yoda_campbell
03-11-2009, 02:17 PM
hey guys ive got a 283 out of a 67 nove mated to a sm465 tranny and a twin sticked 205 t-case that im puttin in instead of my gutless 6cylinder. its running propane so i can eliminate most of my wiring harness except the basics. i was just wondering if any of you have done the swap how the motor mount set up has to be done. i dont have a body lift and i plan on keeping it that way so that will make it more difficult but i have enough height as is and dont want any more. i know the distributor is a cunt so i am runnin an electric fan to keep the engine forward.

so would you think it to be easier to chop the stock toy mount flush to the frame and build my own or just modify the truck mounts or build an adapter plate for the motor
:confused0006:

FZJ80
03-11-2009, 04:57 PM
Use the small points type distributor and convert it to electronic to give yourself more room at the fire wall.
If i did it again i would cut out the area behind the dist. and build a recessed box to keep the engine as far back as possible.
Even with short shaft stuff on the front there is mimimal room.

SHITTY
03-11-2009, 05:53 PM
when i put my 5.7 in my toy i went down to NORTHWEST OFF-ROAD center in belingham the mounts went right over the exsiting ones and you can slide the motor front to back to fit they worked great . i payed 150.00 around there. i have there parts book . might be a bit out dated but it has alot of stuff in it.

m j
03-12-2009, 03:24 PM
ancient motor choice
is this out of a Trooper project?

yoda_campbell
03-13-2009, 11:06 AM
ya its out of the trooper and i might get a cam and port and polish the shit out of everything

and ya thoes adapters look really simple and easyi might have to grab them

SHITTY
03-13-2009, 08:41 PM
ya i don't think u can get any easier for mounts. i bought my first set from advanced adapters and u had to cut and weld then i found those . didn't have ti think twice to get them. [cheers]

FZJ80
03-13-2009, 09:01 PM
If the heads are original 283 heads, save yourself alot of time and effort.
Bolt on a set of Vortec heads and you will be miles ahead.
Sell the old ones to someone that wants period correct heads.
The compresion ratio will be more in line with what propane likes, the seats are hardened, flow better than you could ever hope to achieve, uses a better intake, blah, blah, blah.
283 is a great motor but the heads of today are leaps and bounds ahead of that old stuff.