PDA

View Full Version : how do you change a front driveshaft?

offroadordrift
03-11-2009, 12:20 PM
my front driveshft is clicking.. guys at T&T said my cv joint is on its way out.. luckily i have a good one sitting in a 4L.. will it work to just swap them, or will i need to get one form another 2.5L . plus im not sure if the transfer cases are the same.. will that make a differnce?

Arnee
03-11-2009, 12:27 PM
if there the same length and have the same slip on them. and have the same bolt holes it should work. just pull the drive shaft out and take a look

offroadordrift
03-11-2009, 01:09 PM
i was told that if the driveshafts dont go back in the exact same way they came out there will be some binding issues

Punk in Drublic
03-11-2009, 01:28 PM
duhh binding?? or vibration?? you could have a vibration problem, possibly, but i never heard of a binding driveshaft. if there the sme length n same ends where it connects to the t-case it should be fine, just look at it. if they look the same chances are they are the same.

bigrig81
03-11-2009, 05:04 PM
i was told that if the driveshafts dont go back in the exact same way they came out there will be some binding issues

i'm tempted to keep my two bits to myself, but if i'm wrong someone will correct me. i've done lots of CV joint drive axles on cars and am unaware of vibrations problem in them depending on how you put them in. I do know that with the front axles on a solid axle front end if the u-joints are out of sync then you will get vibrations. the person that said it has to go in as it came out, could be thinking about that. I'm pretty sure with you rig, as long as yuo've got the same length, spline, etc as the other guys were mentioning.. it's just a matter of removing and replacing.

good luck!

:D

Vastier
03-11-2009, 05:19 PM
:s30x:

JACKNIFE
03-11-2009, 08:14 PM
i hate to ask dumb questions but is it a drive shaft or axle you are concerned about?

Happypants
03-11-2009, 08:18 PM
2.5 shafts are fuckin tiny and yes the t-cases are different you need to get another shaft from a 2.5 the 4.0l shafts are different length than the 2.5 ones

You still got that busted up black xj? Ever fix the front end or it still being held together with tie wire and duct tape?

cherokeeinprogess
03-11-2009, 08:22 PM
CV sounds more like an axel :confused0006: then a driveshaft :dontknow:
GL either way

xtremeyj
03-11-2009, 10:03 PM
CV sounds more like an axel :confused0006: then a driveshaft :dontknow:
GL either way

I believe he meant double cardon, Which technically is considered a constant velocity joint, CV

offroadordrift
03-12-2009, 03:18 AM
2.5 shafts are fuckin tiny and yes the t-cases are different you need to get another shaft from a 2.5 the 4.0l shafts are different length than the 2.5 ones

You still got that busted up black xj? Ever fix the front end or it still being held together with tie wire and duct tape?

yea sadly.. i think im stuck with it for life....[16] , but lik ei mentions in another thread.. new motor going in shortly. and new body parts. add some paint.. good as new[36]