PDA

View Full Version : M/T on a tacoma drivability.

Jayhall
03-09-2009, 11:09 PM
Im getting a new set of tires pretty soon. Id like to go with a set of 33" open counrty m/t's. Im going to be driving mostly on the roads, majority of the time, but I really like the idea of having a set of m/t's just for when I want to have some fun. So, my two questions are 1) How well does a 98 tacoma drive on the road, equiped with a set of m/t's and a 3" lift? And 2) How wide can I go on a stock 06 aluminum wheel, with out compramising on or off road preformanc? Pretty much, how wide of a tire is the perfect medium?

mus-Tard
03-09-2009, 11:25 PM
if you want to go fourwheeling, get some mud tires. thats the first step. you cant have off road capibility and a super smooth ride so bite the bullet. your best bet would be looking into a brand like that or bfg as they tend to have a longer life on pavment.

with a 3 inch lift l would think you should be able to fit 33/12.50's

Arnee
03-09-2009, 11:55 PM
good all around tire is the interco truxxus mt's unreal in the snow great in the rain rocks and mud. fairly cheap but do wear faster than a toyo, talk b at thrills he'll be able to help you out 604 465 5559

Jayhall
03-10-2009, 10:34 PM
I most certianly dont expect the truck to ride like a caddy, if I wanted that id be in a sts. I guess my definition of on road preformance is more along the lines of how well im going to be able to stop in the rain at high speeds, hydroplane action, ect. As for tires, Im set on toyo. Im lucky enough to have a benefit package that includes tires for my truck. Im just trying to make sure I pick the right tire for the set up Id like to run with.

Redneck_04
04-03-2009, 05:15 PM
daryl dont be dumb 33x12.50 16 open country mts !!!!!!!

B
04-03-2009, 06:22 PM
I most certianly dont expect the truck to ride like a caddy, if I wanted that id be in a sts. I guess my definition of on road preformance is more along the lines of how well im going to be able to stop in the rain at high speeds, hydroplane action, ect. As for tires, Im set on toyo.
Im lucky enough to have a benefit package that includes tires for my truck. Im just trying to make sure I pick the right tire for the set up Id like to run with.

[wako] :dontknow:

whitlers
04-03-2009, 08:25 PM
good all around tire is the interco truxxus mt's unreal in the snow great in the rain rocks and mud. fairly cheap but do wear faster than a toyo, talk b at thrills he'll be able to help you out 604 465 5559

they are super soft and wear fast..sepcially for a truck that will be mainly street driven

B
04-03-2009, 08:38 PM
the c load ranges are a very soft compound we have the load range E on deedee's bling j we have put 12000 k's on them and they hven't worn off the first set of wear bars yet .... just so apples are being compared to apples [cheers]

toyo's are good tires as well

yota90ca
04-03-2009, 11:18 PM
Im getting a new set of tires pretty soon. Id like to go with a set of 33" open counrty m/t's. Im going to be driving mostly on the roads, majority of the time, but I really like the idea of having a set of m/t's just for when I want to have some fun. So, my two questions are 1) How well does a 98 tacoma drive on the road, equiped with a set of m/t's and a 3" lift? And 2) How wide can I go on a stock 06 aluminum wheel, with out compramising on or off road preformanc? Pretty much, how wide of a tire is the perfect medium?

We have run Toyo Open country's on the work trucks and are lucky to get 60 000 km out of them and that is both on and offroad driving. You might want to look at a tire with a slightly harder compound if you want to do both. Mind you it was the big diesel that cant keep the tires on and the dakota seams to be ok being light.

I have been running Kumho Road Venture M/T and they have were pretty good last summer with all the highway driving I had to do for work, took them off for the winter as in the Kootenay's not a good winter tire.

d0ubledown
04-04-2009, 10:46 AM

1: alot better than stock, depending on the quality of lift you get.

2: i wouldnt go wider than a 285/75/16 which is 11.5" wide and just under 33". any wider, and your stockers will have clearance issues with the UCA. youll need different backspaced wheels.

3: again, on a stock wheel, 285 is the widest you want to go. even then...depending on the tire, they may rub the UCA's. if you want to be safe, go with a 265/75 which is about a 32". no rub issues and taller than stock.