PDA

View Full Version : building 302

Bigsexy
03-09-2009, 06:48 PM
just recently pickd upa 86 302.. has 2 barrel manifold and is stock, my question is : how do i get the most HP out her for the cheapest dollar.. my budget is about 1000$.. not willing to go with NOS. [cheers]

nbrowser
03-09-2009, 07:05 PM
Simple easy stuff.....four barrel intake, 4 barrel carb, cam kit if it's in the budget....should be complete, cam, lifters, rods, mebbe even rockers to allow it to breathe a bit better

Bigsexy
03-09-2009, 07:12 PM
i plannd on goin witha 4barrel.., i wana no more specifically which manifold to get, and with wat carb? i want it to have a nice lumpy cam possibly change it to a timing geardrive..

nbrowser
03-09-2009, 11:03 PM
Edelbrock....Demon....both good carbs, plopped a Edelbrock Performer 600 on top of a SBC 350 in a '66 Chevelle....woke up it real good like. Just don't go too lumpy of a cam though, sure it sounds nasty nut in the long run, a nice grind that yields good low end to mid throttle torque is always a bonus, especially in an offroad vehicle. Any reasonable performance parts place (Mopac for instance) can steer you in the right direction.

tchevy
03-09-2009, 11:14 PM
buying a cam for sound is the worst thing you can do i agree. If it is in a truck get something in the idle-5500 range or bottom end will be compromised. besides, a cam is only as good as what the heads, intake exhaust etc, yeilds. good luck[cheers]

Punk in Drublic
03-10-2009, 01:47 AM
yep i over cammed in the past, no good offroad.

bigyellowbronco
03-10-2009, 01:57 AM
it would also depend on if its an auto or manual.....if its an auto and you wanna go with a gnarly cam then you'll have to upgrade your stall converter to somethin with a higher rpm stall. if its manual then it dont matter

Bigsexy
03-10-2009, 06:48 AM
its a 4 spd manual.. i dont just want to do a big cam for the sound, id like everything to all work togather and be powerful.. i currently hava inline 6 and am kinda tired of not havin any power, i cant pass ppl on the freeway at all. you can put ur foot right into it even in town and it doesnt even take off.. motors baggd! truck is a 96f150..
im lookin for around 300hp. 2000rpm-5000rpm would be ideal powercurve.. wat parts do i get to achieve that..
has anybody heard anythin bad about the torqer 2 intake mani's? ive been told to go with a 600cfm truck avenger carb and a torqer 2 4barrel manifold.. wats ur opinions[cheers]
also are carb spacers any good ?

[cheers] thanks

Spedley
03-10-2009, 10:49 AM
. if its manual then it dont matter

:rolleyes:

It matters when that lumpy cam needs to be spun to the moon to make power.
Unfortunately a torquey low end cam isn't gonna sound really crazy. An RV cam of some kind(pretty much all cam builders make good RV cams) with a dual plane low-rise intake and a 600 Edelbrock. Those intake carb combos gotta be avail used (ie. cheeeep) somewhere with some lookin... If you can, snag a set of heads from a 302 powered exploder... They are cast versions of Fords gt-40 heads and worth some decent power. A gear drive sounds cool, but if your looking for power on a budget a good 2-row chain will do just as well and for at least half the price.
Don't over think this. Keep it fairly mild (as hard as it is). An engine that makes power over 5500rpms in a 4x4 is kinda goofy in anything but a high rpm mud racer.

Buck Master
03-10-2009, 11:02 AM
I have built 5 302 combos over the last few years and find that everyone usually overcams. Personally, i think its going to be pretty hard to hit your 300hp mark with your budget. Stick to the bolt-ons. People seem to get carried away once they start tearing a motor down and forget to budget for gaskets and any machining that might be required as a result of putting heads on. You can probaly pickup a good used fuel injected 5.0L motor and bolt on a few goodies for your budget.

Punk in Drublic
03-10-2009, 01:33 PM
my buddy wrote off his poostang, its got the h.o. in it, want me to see if hell sell.

and a 300 with a fourbarrel n stock or mild cam will give you lots of grunt, swap in a zf n you might be a little happier on the highway. even with my cammed to the balls six banger screamin down the highway i only did bout a 120 tops. gears make ya go faster/slower, the motor just gives ya the power to turn em.

Bigsexy
03-10-2009, 02:50 PM
my buddy wrote off his poostang, its got the h.o. in it, want me to see if hell sell.

and a 300 with a fourbarrel n stock or mild cam will give you lots of grunt, swap in a zf n you might be a little happier on the highway. even with my cammed to the balls six banger screamin down the highway i only did bout a 120 tops. gears make ya go faster/slower, the motor just gives ya the power to turn em.

no thanks.. i already hava motor. i hava 5spd inthe truck currently but am swapping everything out. also have 4.56 gears/ 38's..

Punk in Drublic
03-10-2009, 02:55 PM
ahh so youre not buildin it to be highway freindly, then go 4 speed. youre not gonna be racin down the highway with that combo but it should be nice for the hills/trails. if thats a zf in youre truck now i might be interbreasted in it when ya do the swap.

Bigsexy
03-10-2009, 07:51 PM
not a zf, and i am putting ina t18 4spd. it was more just of a reference as the how gutless the truck is lol [cheers]truck isnt being built for street driving.. maybe just to get to the dirt the odd time, or else trailered.

back to the engine stuff tho, i was just offered a free 302 efi with computer and everything, would that be a lil bit cheaper an better to go the fuel injected route.. the rings are shot and motor burns alot of oil, but was thinking of swaping the efi manifold ? would the heads on a 86 302 be the same as a 90302 carbd and fuel injected..? opinions ?

Punk in Drublic
03-10-2009, 08:33 PM
hmm im not sure of the swapability with the heads. im a fan of efi offroad, some guys say carb, but the efi will run on any angle, and self adjusts for altitude etc. if ya got the efi heads too ya could just rebuild them n throw em on the 86 block im guessin? is it an H.O.?

blacksn95
03-11-2009, 01:06 AM
GT40 heads, or a gt40p heads.. these are found on exploders and early lightnings... a ford motorsport e-303 cam or comp 2040 with an ed intake and a 4 barrel and u'll be doing pretty good for hp and torque

Bigsexy
03-11-2009, 06:59 AM
no, not a h.o.. neither or them.. one is out of a 86 bronco (carbd) and the other is out of 90 f150 ( efi). wat can i do to that EFI manifold to make it better? bigger injectors maybe? [cheers]

Spedley
03-11-2009, 09:05 AM
no, not a h.o.. neither or them.. one is out of a 86 bronco (carbd) and the other is out of 90 f150 ( efi). wat can i do to that EFI manifold to make it better? bigger injectors maybe? [cheers]

Get one from a crustang...