PDA

View Full Version : Oil in my air filter!!

fourx4hunny31
03-04-2009, 07:40 PM
Ok, I have a 93 yj that blows oil into my air filter. Is there any way I could fix this or is it a jeep thing? It has 242xxxkms on it with a on and off again noisey lifter.

And another stupid chick question:o .Can I pass aircare with a crack in my exh.manifold? I drive the freeway everyday from the wack to Aldergrove, I always do oil changes every 5000kms, I have a year old cat and exhaust (except manifold). I havent aircared this before so I dont no what to exspect. If I put some supreme in it and run it into aircare after a freeway run could it pass?

Im not a dumb chick just never owned a jeep, just a 4runner[sorrysign]

SquirreL-E
03-04-2009, 07:47 PM
its a jeep thing, just get rid of it, try a chevy :D

fourx4hunny31
03-04-2009, 07:51 PM
I have seen my share of broken down Chevs!!:D But thanks:rolleyes: for not helping

SquirreL-E
03-04-2009, 07:54 PM
i was helping, i told you it was a jeep thing, it wont stop, its why i said try something else! i tried to help, sorry if it didnt.

JACKNIFE
03-04-2009, 07:58 PM
my 94 has the same problem i wouldnt be too concerned i think that the jeep motors have a bit of a condensation problem. of course you can pass aircare with a cracked exhaust manifold so long as there is exhaust coming out the tailpipe they can test it. your lifter tick may just be the exhaust leak, if its on again off again, mine for example makes a loud ticking noise (especially when cold) but its just the exhaust leaking from my manifold. i wouldnt even put premium in it to pass, wont help it run any cleaner. if it fails look at a tune up (plugs,wires,cap,rotor,airfilter)

fourx4hunny31
03-04-2009, 08:07 PM
Ok sorry for the back against the wall reply, I have had smart ass comments on other posts before. Anyway, I also did the plugs and wires less then a year ago. It definetly is a lifter. I will try and see what happens

Nutbar
03-04-2009, 08:26 PM
Oil in the air filter is probably due to plugged PCV hose and/or PCV fitting in the valve cover, the hose and fitting going into the rear of the valve cover is the PCV on the 4.0 and is very prone to clogging up with carbon and grease once it plugs the engine pushes all the crankcase pressure and vapors out through the breather fitting going into the air box

4.0s are quite prone to noisey lifters, a cheap thing to try that will sometimes work to clear it up is to dump a bottle of engine oil flush in it, do the oil change, and put in a bottle of Rislone oil treatment with the new oil

the only real fix for the noisey lifter though is to replace the lifters which involves removing the cylinder head on the 4.0

nebowe
03-04-2009, 08:34 PM
When you go through air care...A. change the oil before you go through
B. put in a brand new filter
C. put in premium fuel
D. Run it down the highway then air care

xtremeyj
03-04-2009, 09:03 PM
Ok sorry for the back against the wall reply, I have had smart ass comments on other posts before. Anyway, I also did the plugs and wires less then a year ago. It definetly is a lifter. I will try and see what happens

my lifters been tickin for over a year without really causing any issues.

Happypants
03-04-2009, 09:41 PM
mine click like fucking crazy, until i put some lucas oil shit in and they finally shut up

Explorer guy418
03-04-2009, 09:42 PM
pcv valve

D-Ass
03-04-2009, 10:27 PM
I will second the lucas oil additive it is the only thing that really works and what oil are you running 15/40 is what I run works great for a older motor and I have NO pressure problems[cheers]

fourx4hunny31
03-05-2009, 06:17 AM
I replaced pcv or ccv i was told and the other one on top there. I run 10/30w but will try heavier oil. It doesnt tick crazy but it ticks. my brother found some tubes which where pluged and cleaned them.. Thanks again and I will just try my luck..I HATE FUCKIN AIRCARE!

FINGERS
03-05-2009, 06:32 AM
fourxhunny31 my advise to you is listen to the man called Nutbar,He is after all the closest thing to our resident Jeep "God" around here, ask anyone they will agree!

xtremeyj
03-05-2009, 09:30 AM
fourxhunny31 my advise to you is listen to the man called Nutbar,He is after all the closest thing to our resident Jeep "God" around here, ask anyone they will agree!

I second that

Dirty Girls
03-05-2009, 10:35 AM
yep, agreed

Mr Vic
03-05-2009, 05:02 PM
x3 Nutbar knows jeeps better than anyone else

fourx4hunny31
03-05-2009, 08:37 PM
Thanks for all your help. I decided to take it in today being it is 1 year today that my dad died. Airecare has always stressed me out with any vehicle I had and my dad would always be there when I went through but this year he was there in spirit and I FREEKEN PASSED! it is a good feeling to not have to pay out my ass to get it to pass. So thanks. I love my jeep!