PDA

View Full Version : Who can build me a fj40 4-1 case?

mountain man
02-25-2009, 08:53 PM
I thought I remembered a guy from the lower mainland that rebuilt cases with new gears? Anybody, help?

m j
02-25-2009, 09:40 PM
THIS SECTION IS COMPILED FROM THE ADVANCE ADAPTERS CATALOG.
THE PAPER CATALOG IS ALSO AVAILABLE AT TLC

(http://www.tlc4x4.com/2000/Parts/tlc_advanceadapters.htm)
TOYOTA LAND CRUISER
ROCK CRAWLING OPTIONS

FJ40 CRUISER CRAWLER ROCK BOX: For the past few years we have had requests for a low-geared transfer case, low gear set, or a reduction box to fit the FJ40 Toyota Land Cruisers. The Atlas was a consideration; however, designing it with the proper configuration to fit the Land Cruiser proved too cost prohibitive. A new set of low gears required to many modifications to the case. We did a reduction box, but due to its length, it worked best on FJ55s and FJ40s that had a stretched wheel base.

We are currently in the prototype stage of our new "Cruiser Crawler Rock Box". The internal design of the unit allows us to keep the length down to 5². The unit is configured with two housings: a plate, which will bolt to the transmission; and the housing, which houses the 3.44:1 reduction gears. Our application plans include the stock 3 & 4 speed transmission, plus any transmission that we offer a transfer case adapter for. In addition, since some of our adapter are fairly long to allow for front driveshaft clearances, we will be making some of the more popular adapters shorter to allow for this 5² reduction box.

Pricing and availability on this new unit should be available December 2001.

FJ40 & FJ55 NP203 REDUCTION BOX: These kits offer a 2:1 reduction for your Land Cruiser. They are designed to be used with the stock Land Cruiser 3 & 4 speed transfer cases. These kits are designed to use the front half of the GM NP203 transfer case, which houses the low gear set. These kits only work with a TH350, 700R-4, TH400 or SM465. Transfer case linkage, crossmember, and floorboard modifications are necessary. Due to the added length, driveshaft modifications will be necessary. Moving the engine forward may compensate for some of the added length; and by removing your mechanical fan and going with an electric pusher fan, you may be able to save up to 4" of your driveline.

P/N 50-8801 - Toyota Land Cruiser 3 speed transfer case to NP203 reduction box
P/N 50-8802 - Toyota Land Cruiser 4 speed transfer case to NP203 reduction box

FJ60 TRANSFER CASE LOW GEARS: Mark's 4WD offers new gear sets for the FJ60 transfer cases August 1980 to January 1990. This gear set has an 8% overdrive and a 2.81:1 low range; and/or the gear set has an 8% underdrive and 3.05:1 low range. Part No. 716920 and 716920UD fit FJ60s with the 34mm cluster pin transfer case gear sets (Aug. 1980 to Oct. 1985). Part No. 716921 and 716921UD fit FJ60s with the 38mm cluster pin transfer case gear sets (Oct. 1985 to Jan. 1990). The overdrive gear sets are ideal for the FJ60 models since they improve fuel economy; and the underdrive gear sets are ideal those vehicles running 35" & upward size tires and requiring more engine RPMs. The best addition is the low gear reduction for off-roading. The installation of this gear set does require a small amount of internal case modifications; however, it does not require any floorboard, driveshaft, or crossmember modifications.

FJ60 GEAR REDUCTION BOX: If you're looking for a even lower gear ratio, there is yet another option. We have worked closely with one our Land Cruiser distributors to developed a NP203 crawl box for the FJ60s. This crawl box can be mounted to either the stock 4 or 5 speed transmission and/or the GM TH350, TH400, 700R & SM465 transmissions. This product is manufactured by Advance Adapters exclusively for Colorado Offroad Xpress. For information on this reduction box or to purchase of these units, please contact Jerry Nichols at (719) 576-0616.

MARKS 4WD ADAPTORSAdvance Adapters is proud to be the exclusive U.S. distributor for Mark's 4WD Adaptors of Melbourne, Australia. Mark¹s 4WD has been manufacturing adapters since 1979. There product line coverage overlaps ours on some vehicles like the Toyota pickup and the Toyota Land Cruisers; however, they offer some adapters for these vehicles that we do not. A large part of their product line ventures into vehicles that are popular over there, but are in limited supply here in the United States.

The drivetrain on Australian vehicles are configured for the driver location on the right side of the vehicle, whereas the U.S. is on the left side. Caution should be used in this area only when dealing with motor mounts. Some mounts may offset the engine to obtain steering clearance for their vehicles, but it will cause clearance problems on ours. Other than the engine position, all other components seem to be interchangeable.

stylus
02-27-2009, 07:04 PM
talk to steve at EBI, his business is landcruisers.

604-461-3540

m j
02-28-2009, 09:03 AM
the landcruiser case is very tiny
I wouldnt use it even if they had a lower gearset available

B
02-28-2009, 09:30 AM
the landcruiser case is very tiny
I wouldnt use it even if they had a lower gearset available
[stupid]

just ask blair ... not sure if he is on this board but crusier 45 he has blown his up 3 times now ;)

mountain man
03-02-2009, 03:51 PM
Good enough then. I think I'll put in a 3-speed t-case instead

m j
03-02-2009, 05:54 PM
you have to step back and build for the application
you have a v8? chances are you need an equivelent drivetrain to match it
if you want to be hard on it and not have it fail there are a couple of lower $$ ways or you can drop $3500 on an Atlas or Stak
without knowing what you want out of it hard to make recommendations, but the LC stuff is not known for strength

KINGCRUISER
03-05-2009, 04:28 PM
I have a np203 doubler and 4 speed t case if you want to buy it. Gives you more few more options. I also have a bunch of parts for the 3 speed cases.

Always broke
03-05-2009, 11:36 PM
you have to step back and build for the application
you have a v8? chances are you need an equivelent drivetrain to match it
if you want to be hard on it and not have it fail there are a couple of lower $$ ways or you can drop $3500 on an Atlas or Stak
without knowing what you want out of it hard to make recommendations, but the LC stuff is not known for strength

I have seen the lc t-case handle over 1000hp and paddle tires the big problem with them is people put them in and don't do any maintainance as long as you put in a simple brace they are fine , if you want to go lower call Steve at EBI or put in a rock box Nwf

m j
03-06-2009, 05:12 AM
I have seen the cracked case from using them behind a stock LC 6 cylinder
telling someone to use one in a build is not nice.
one would be further ahead to use something that isnt a failure prone, difficult to replace, piece of junk
did the above mentioned Blaire go to EBI for the 3 failures. I think he is running a toyota motor, not a V8.

so is a brace "simple maintainance"?

fj401ton
03-06-2009, 05:46 AM
[stupid],had a lc case in my 76 fj40 which split under not a lot of abuse. Decided to go with a stak 3 speed for my build in my 68 fj40 and love it. similar to 205 gear sets with a 3 speed option. very strong

mountain man
03-06-2009, 09:36 AM
How much longer is the 203 doubler?

Always broke
03-07-2009, 01:59 PM
I have seen the cracked case from using them behind a stock LC 6 cylinder
telling someone to use one in a build is not nice.
one would be further ahead to use something that isnt a failure prone, difficult to replace, piece of junk
did the above mentioned Blaire go to EBI for the 3 failures. I think he is running a toyota motor, not a V8.

so is a brace "simple maintainance"?No the brace is not the simple Maintenance i am talking about Seals and keeping the fliud topped up but it is a "simple" brace to make if he already has the T-Case use it because it's hard to find an off center rear output t case to match up with the off center rear axle . You can find the brace spec if you do a google search .

Also just 1 question what would you replace the t-case with "that is so much stronger" that has the off center rear output????

KINGCRUISER
03-07-2009, 02:23 PM
How much longer is the 203 doubler?

7 or 8 inches longer if i remember correct.

m j
03-07-2009, 05:29 PM
No the brace is not the simple Maintenance i am talking about Seals and keeping the fliud topped up but it is a "simple" brace to make if he already has the T-Case use it because it's hard to find an off center rear output t case to match up with the off center rear axle . You can find the brace spec if you do a google search .

Also just 1 question what would you replace the t-case with "that is so much stronger" that has the off center rear output????

in my opinion, building around an offset transfer case and rear end is not a good idea.
throw all the toyota crap into the recycle bin and use parts that are capable of surviving a wheeling trip.
my choice is Dana rear axles and your choice of transfer cases, d300, np205, Stak, atlas.
not much else is up to the task of a v8 powerplant and wheeling
you cannot add a ton of power and expect tiny gearboxes and difs to survive
you have to build a whole system not just throw horsepower at one end

Tom chose a d60f and a 14ff to go with his Stak, his shit doesnt break with a 383 pounding on it
Blaire chose toyota stuff, his breaks, and I think he is still toyota powered
and I doubt he has 1000hp,
and I didnt see paddles on his truck when it was at our jobsite or in any of the pics online but hey maybe he runs paddles and a lot of boost off camera

Tom did buy an np205 but decided on spending $$ to shorten his drivetrain rather then run a doubler with almost no rear driveshaft.
his Stak has a 10 spline input so he gains at least 4" over a stock coupled np205

edit- adding this. I do not know Blaire at all. I do not know anything about his build or if anyone helped him choose the parts to use.
I have seen his truck but never crawled all over it to check it out.
every time I hear of him breaking transfer case bits I feel bad for him and wonder why he has the toyota parts,
I have asked a few people if they knew why he was running toy boxes but still havent heard the reasoning
he could be a devoted Toyota guy and want to run all toyota, for which I would give him full respect.
it looks like a real nice vehicle and I have liked that style truck since I first saw one in the 80s
I do know Tom, and I did help him pick parts that allow him to go flog his truck.

mountain man
03-07-2009, 08:50 PM
Yeah, I gotta say, I'm still drooling over throwing in the HP 60 I have in my yard! I am at the point of go for it, or just keep it running! Its a ford front, so I would have to get rid of my chevy motor as well. That sucks, because it is a well built motor, lots of power. 350, bored out, flat top pistons, comp extreme 4x4 cam, shaved down 202 heads ported and polished, with stainless step-down valves, edlebrock intake, carb spacer, Holly off-road carb, gear drive, ram horn exhaust. I don't think I'll find a motor I like more. But Its no point blowing stuff up all the time. I don't know why I am so stuck on using the ford front end, because it would definately easier to throw in a sm465-205. But I just love the idea of a high pinion, and king pins. I've been wheeling for many years, and am getting tired of high driveline angles. Any good ideas?

dirka dave
03-07-2009, 08:54 PM
I have a stock front end and stock birfs from 1982....
The Rear is a 1991 widetrack.
just sayin'

B
03-07-2009, 11:19 PM
Yeah, I gotta say, I'm still drooling over throwing in the HP 60 I have in my yard! I am at the point of go for it, or just keep it running! Its a ford front, so I would have to get rid of my chevy motor as well. That sucks, because it is a well built motor, lots of power. 350, bored out, flat top pistons, comp extreme 4x4 cam, shaved down 202 heads ported and polished, with stainless step-down valves, edlebrock intake, carb spacer, Holly off-road carb, gear drive, ram horn exhaust. I don't think I'll find a motor I like more. But Its no point blowing stuff up all the time. I don't know why I am so stuck on using the ford front end, because it would definately easier to throw in a sm465-205. But I just love the idea of a high pinion, and king pins. I've been wheeling for many years, and am getting tired of high driveline angles. Any good ideas?

run your small block chev to sm 465 to what ever case you want just run a ford 205 behind that or a black box to the 205 and have a super strong doubler as well [cheers]

cruiser45
03-08-2009, 09:36 AM
[stupid]

just ask blair ... not sure if he is on this board but crusier 45 he has blown his up 3 times now ;)

the cases where manufactured wrong by marlin,,,no dowell pins, thier fuk up.:mad:

they are now shipping me a 2.3 gear set, a new 4.7 gear set , all the the hardware and new adapter plates..this problem i have had has been dealt with. i hope.

m j
03-08-2009, 10:04 AM
what cases are you using? sounds like it isnt the LC boxes?

mountain man
03-10-2009, 05:49 PM
Are ford 205's the same spline as the chevys?

m j
03-11-2009, 03:18 AM
Are ford 205's the same spline as the chevys?

no
fords are all 31 spline female input and 32 spline output

chevy has several spline counts, just about every transmission has a spline count. kinda blows the whole chevy's all interchange thing to shit.
if it came from a pre 87ish sm465 4 speed manual they have male 10 spline input, and most likey a 30 spline front output but also came with a coarse maybe 10? spline front output, rear should be 32 spline output

if it came from a t350 then it will have a 27 spline input

if it came from a T400 or a post 87ish they have 32 splines input, and there are 2 versions of 32 spine input long or short.

and to top it off you cant swap the 32 spline input in place of the 10 or 27 without machining the case

what you got and what you wanna do, we can help?

mountain man
03-11-2009, 12:19 PM
I have an early sm465-205 chev combo, and I also have a ford 205 behind a c6 in the ford donor truck with the dana60. If I could find a way to put the ford 205 behind the sm465, that would be best I think. Unless there is a ford 205 that will just bolt in behind the chevy tranny?

cruiser45
03-11-2009, 12:25 PM
what cases are you using? sounds like it isnt the LC boxes?

marlin crawl box (4.7:1)[36] in front of a stok l/c case.2.3:1..

m j
03-11-2009, 12:32 PM
that sm465 is the hardest to work with
to do what you want would require a custom made adapter and a custom modified mainshaft
or you can look at using a doubler of some kind to act as the adapter
how much do you wanna spend?

to do a sm465/np203 doubler you are looking for a rare np203 input, check with Kyle at NWF to see how hard they are to find as someone might be making them
fastest way would be if NWF made a BlackBox for your 10 spline transmission and have the back side Fordstyle

everything has to be looked at with an eye to length
most of the "kits" to put bling transfer cases are all old d300 swap kits for Jeeps, so they all want to reduce the output to 23 spline Jeep
the STak kit that Tom used has a female 10 spline input, and is the shortest option on the table for that transmission, dunno if Atlas offers anything like that

m j
03-11-2009, 12:34 PM
marlin crawl box (4.7:1)[36] in front of a stok l/c case.2.3:1..

and what has been failing? just the Marlin from missing dowels?

hope they get it solved for ya

B
03-11-2009, 12:47 PM
I have an early sm465-205 chev combo, and I also have a ford 205 behind a c6 in the ford donor truck with the dana60. If I could find a way to put the ford 205 behind the sm465, that would be best I think. Unless there is a ford 205 that will just bolt in behind the chevy tranny?

no the ford will be 31 spline but u cabn just use a black box as your adapter 32 in and 31 spline out that was my plan before i went to the 4 speed atlas we had it in mock up and it all worked good for us we need a extra 1/2 " spacer as my 4l80e input was to deep into the black box but other than that it was a bolt up [cheers]

and then your low ranges are 2:72 in the black box and 2:1 in the 205 so 5:44 out the back instead of 4:1 [cheers]

m j
03-11-2009, 01:08 PM
threads with custom mainshaft http://www.funinbc.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79169&highlight=sm465
http://www.funinbc.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77836&highlight=sm465

cruiser45
03-11-2009, 02:25 PM
and what has been failing? just the Marlin from missing dowels?

hope they get it solved for ya

yup, missing dowels:mad:

mountain man
03-11-2009, 02:28 PM
Its going into my fj40, so length is an issue. It would be nice to have a doubler, but then I would have no rear driveshaft left! Don't want to spend a fortune screwing around with oddball parts.

m j
03-11-2009, 03:02 PM
still need a budget and what you want ot end up with to help.
Tom's Stak in a fj40 is as short as it gets, but huge $$

my np435 with black box is 2" longer then a stock np435/np205 and was about medium $$. shaft work was $100 (plus the shaft $), BB was $1400, adapter was $350
dunno what Paul spent on his 32 spline sm465 but it would be a bit cheaper then my ford I bet just had to hunt for the np203 adapter parts.

short is pretty easy to make if you dont mind some homework, there are options
get the adapter from Novak, get a shaft made 31 spline like Paul's from a 2wdr mainshaft, that would bolt up a Ford 205 on the short and cheap

m j
03-29-2009, 02:35 AM
http://advanceadapters.com/product/2437/Toyota-Land-Cruiser-Orion-Transfer-Case-Kit.html