PDA

View Full Version : Sticky window regulators

Spedley
02-16-2009, 11:43 PM
Anyone else have problems with their window regulators getting sticky in the winter? So far, I have owned 3 Toyota trucks, and all 3 get/got REALLY hard to roll the windows up or down. Wrecked 1 regulator already, always scared to do it again...
What have you done to remedy this? Getting aggrivating when I gotta get my Timmys.....

girlcrazy_4
02-17-2009, 01:46 AM
Same here, I need to rev the engine for the windows to go up and have a 2nd person to lift up on the rear glass. Works fine when its warm out.

Stetson
02-17-2009, 10:08 AM
most routine maintenance is to lubricate the rubber window seals and especially the guides, at least a few times per year, (1) to keep them from drying out, (2) and creating to much friction to operate the window. (Hondas especially bad for this) To much friction burns out the motor and regulator. Silicone spray lubricant, even says on the front of the label "for window seals and guides", about $5.99 at Canadian Tire. [cheers]

Spedley
02-17-2009, 11:54 AM
I was meaning on the door wndows. Mine are manual, and when you get cranking on em, they're REALLY stiff for the first rotation or so, then they loosen up a bit and go the rest of the way easy. I really think its a regulator problem, seeing as how they work flawless once it gets warmer than -10 or so.

B
02-17-2009, 12:13 PM
I was meaning on the door wndows. Mine are manual, and when you get cranking on em, they're REALLY stiff for the first rotation or so, then they loosen up a bit and go the rest of the way easy. I really think its a regulator problem, seeing as how they work flawless once it gets warmer than -10 or so.

same thing if it dosent turn or move easy and it's susposted 2 lube if it does and it's not susposed to duck tape it :dontknow: ..

Stetson
02-17-2009, 01:14 PM

sounds like you need to brush up on your arm curls at the gym :dontknow: sounds like your getting a little soft [34]

Spedley
02-17-2009, 01:32 PM
sounds like you need to brush up on your arm curls at the gym :dontknow: sounds like your getting a little soft [34]

LOL, after wrecking one whole window assembly I dont think this is the problem.... [kicknuts] Now I'm nervous of screwin another one up.

I'll try some of that silicone spray pretty soon I guess.

dirka dave
02-17-2009, 01:33 PM
I have to lube mine up about twice a year.

I use axle grease in the slides and gears.

Spedley
02-17-2009, 07:49 PM
I'll give greasing the slides a bit of a go as well... That may be the ticket, grease on the slides gettin sticky in the cold....