PDA

View Full Version : e locker for 4runner?

Punk in Drublic
02-13-2009, 09:46 PM
any one make a e-locker for a early ninetys v6 3rd

redman
02-13-2009, 10:58 PM
thye might have them in a wrecked 90's limited edition 4runner

arjan
02-14-2009, 12:51 AM
I saw one at riteway in Chilliwack about 1.5 weeks ago. It was still in the axle housing of a wrecked 4Runner.

RCCruiser
02-14-2009, 10:46 AM
any one make a e-locker for a early ninetys v6 3rd
Nobody "makes" an e-locker for an early 90's 4Runner. However, you can modify your rear axle to fit an e-locker from a late 90's 4Runner. Or you could just swap rear axles that had the e-locker installed.
The 3rds are almost identical, except there is a rectangle part that sticks out the side to make way for the actuating arm of the locker. A little google search will show how to modify your existing axle to fit the e-locker. ;)

Oh, and the e-locker is available in more than just the 4Runner. The pickup (Tacoma) some Land Cruisers and the FJ Cruiser all were available with the same unit. (minor differences in some)

StinkFinger
02-14-2009, 11:01 AM
generally its not worth the efort of installing the e locker there very subseptable to trail damage and there is quite a bit of wiering that needs to be done to make them work properly

get a detroit

stevem
02-14-2009, 11:35 AM
how about an air locker?
had one in my runner,loved it.

arjan
02-14-2009, 11:37 AM
I agree wit StickFinger that it is quite a bit of work, I do think it is the better option.
Axle width on the newer 4Runner which came with locking diffs is different by the way, so the best way is to modify your own housing. Not overly difficult though.
For the wiring, I strongly recommend using the factory control module. If you buy a diff at a yunkyard, you can easily bargain that stuff into the price.

I attached the wiring diagram for you.

RCCruiser
02-14-2009, 11:46 AM
generally its not worth the efort of installing the e locker there very subseptable to trail damage and there is quite a bit of wiering that needs to be done to make them work properly

get a detroit
I agree, but: Detroit for the rear, and put the e-locker up front. Of course that means you have a solid axle in the front at that point. :D

dirka dave
02-14-2009, 05:17 PM
I gots one in my 97 runner....It's great now that I've moded it !!!

RCCruiser
02-14-2009, 05:28 PM
I gots one in my 97 runner....It's great now that I've moded it !!!
Ummm...who modded it? :D

dirka dave
02-14-2009, 05:32 PM
I did the work, you did the drinking....

RCCruiser
02-14-2009, 05:34 PM
I did the work, you did the drinking....
I did the research, the finding of the wire, and the drinking. I left the cutting up to you, so if it didn't work, I could tell the wife it was all YOUR fault. :D

dirka dave
02-14-2009, 05:38 PM
It works great !!!!

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f328/david_corry/Smilies/tank-025.gif

Punk in Drublic
02-14-2009, 06:01 PM
[cheers] cool cool. its for a freind, he trails his rig fairly hrd for a stocker, but he also uses it to drive to tow his quad n gear to his property in the cariboo and was worried bout long drives with the detroit. i recommended a selectable an figured the e locker was quite a bit cheaper than air. it will have a straight axle one day, its slowly bein turned from grocery getter to beater. its got some trail scars n is now trem flat black.

ps... ive already told him to get a truck to tow with:dontknow: :D

sj-x 500
02-14-2009, 08:41 PM
i love my arbs. quick actuation. minimal plumbing.

d0ubledown
02-14-2009, 09:21 PM
if you can find an elocker with the same gears youre currently running for under 6 bills go for it. otherwise, get an arb. yes it does(can) engage quicker, but would require your gears to be reset..so regearing is one of those 'while youre in there' things. but that would require regearing the front...but then while youre in there up front, might as well throw an arb in there too..and then.. and then...about 3 grand later youre done.

...or you can just get an elocker for under a G installed :D

80 series cruiser elockers are HP and fj cruisers only come in 3.70 and 3.90 where tacos/runners come in 4.10 & 4.30 flavours.

dirka dave
02-15-2009, 10:17 AM
i love my arbs. quick actuation. minimal plumbing.

I have one in the front of my 82', like you said works great, locks and unlocks fast.

Punk in Drublic
02-16-2009, 12:04 PM
yea itll prolly be air locker than. just needs some more hours at work now. i dont think he ever plans on goin over a 35, hes got 31s now, so we were thinkin keepin the gears stock and goin with a lower tcase l-range.