PDA

View Full Version : Ram 2500 Vs. Tacoma?

Jayhall
02-08-2009, 03:43 PM
Ok, so heres my deal. Ive got a 98 tacoma. It drives me to work, runs great, no problems. Nothing major atleast (my heater control lights are finiky) But, its not really big enough for me. Standing a 6'7" my head is rather close to the roof. That and the towing capacity isnt high enough, for the minimal towing that I want to do. Im talking drag my race car down to Portland for a weekend, out to mission, ect.
Im looking at a 98 Ram 2500 auto 12 valve diesel. Its not pretty, but all and all, looks to be a solid truck. Needs a few things, like tires, a tail light, and some fender flares to hide a few uglies. I guess what Im getting at is, how reliable are these trucks? Any major issues I should expect? Im not sure of the milage but I think its about 350,000 km. And from what Ive been told, it should have lots of life left in it.
I guess what im getting at is this. By getting rid of my good running tacoma, how much of a gamble am I taking with the Ram?? Its got the space I need to fit in it, and it can tow my car, but I dont want to sell a good running truck for a potential lemon, you know what I mean? What are some common problem areas that I should look at next time I go see this ram, and what are some common problems with them??
Any and all info is apriciated, but please, dont waste your, or my time with "dodges are better than toyotas becasue imports suck" Im looking for facts, and reasonable opinions. Thank you

The fuzz
02-08-2009, 05:34 PM
how reliable are these trucks? lol thats too funny, thay have the BEST running gear/ power train for any truck. in 98 it was the last year to have the 12 valve... 98.5 thay came out with the 24.... now with the 12V u cant get a chip for them, but u can still get tunz of power.... just not as easy as just putting the edge juce in it. Now as far as the KMs on it..... thats just broke in [cheers] thay are 1000000.00 mile motors ( providing u allways have clean gas,and oil ) how much is the truck going for???

Jayhall
02-08-2009, 06:06 PM
the asking price is $11,500. But for what it needs, i dont think i want to pay much more than $10k. Paint isnt in great shape, but thats not something that wont stop me from getting what a good truck, because its white, and hides the scratches very well. What im looking for, is something that will get me to and from Richmond everyday, and not require a repair every second week, kind of like the 90 f250 I used to own, before the motor blew.

As for power, at this moment in time, i dont think im to concerned about making alot of power with the truck. Dont get me wrong though, having the option sure is nice.

g-rod
02-08-2009, 08:17 PM
auto or standerd, if its a auto with 350 its been rebuilt.. but how many kms ago, might need it again, and if its been tuned up, the tranny takes a shit kickin... and you say it needs tires, well if the fronts are good and the back is bald, it clearly did hella smoke shows... and thats bout it hah

The fuzz
02-08-2009, 08:18 PM
its a diesel g-rod

MetalMan
02-08-2009, 08:22 PM
Cummins 5.9's are possibly the best diesels ever put in a production pickup truck. Mind you, as with everything else, the way it's been treated in the past will determine how long it lasts. And the transmissions aren't known for reliability, although at 350k it's possible that it's already gone and been replaced with something beefier. The rest of the driveline is pretty rock solid. They're definetely built tough, aside from the auto transmissions. $11,500 is a pretty lofty price from the sound of it though. Personally I wouldn't pay more than 8k. It seems some sellers have it in their heads that Cummins are worth their weight in gold, which just isn't the case, it's a used truck like any other. I've seen several in excellent shape, fully loaded, and with lower K's than that go for 8-9k within the past half year.

g-rod
02-08-2009, 09:37 PM
its a diesel g-rod

auto with 350kms... that better

500grhollowpoint
02-08-2009, 09:48 PM
Yup I agree good truck, great mileage from what I have heard, but seems pricey for 350k. Why don't you give me your taco and the 11,500 and I'll give you my 04 SD?

BuckNaked
02-08-2009, 09:55 PM
dodges are better than toyotas because imports suck
________
Ybr 125 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Yamaha_YBR_125)

Jayhall
02-08-2009, 11:09 PM
I was hoping that I could get it for alot cheaper than $11,500. It is at a dealership, so it might be a little harder to lowball them with a $7500 offer. But, I am getting a set of open countrys in a few months, so the tires arnt a big deal. The tire that is the most bald, is the front drivers side. Im pretty sure I read something about some recent front end work, so the bald tire could have wore out more on the inside of something wasnt straight in the front end. But it might not be fixed either. Im guessing from what I can see, should be able to make it a presentable truck for about $1500, and thats with a 3" level kit budgeted in. That is assuming its a solid runner, and doesnt need a tranny or something like that.

500grhollowpoint
02-08-2009, 11:12 PM
. Why don't you give me your taco and the 11,500 and I'll give you my 04 SD?

srsly

The fuzz
02-08-2009, 11:37 PM
$7500. maybe for a gas pot
(94 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 cummins turbo diesel,5spd,air,tilt,cruise,pwindows,pdoorlocks,pa c brake,gauges,4 inch exhaust,air bags $8900 D#8654 Intercoast Truck 604-649-4947 ) thats a single cab 4 years older not a nice looking truck for 9k if u can get that 98 for 10,000 your getting a good deal!!! i love my dodge never let me down, and yes the auto trany is the weak link i just put a new one in my truck, did it at jazzy diesel in abby here for 5000 but now i can add all the power i want to her [36][36][36][36]

MetalMan
02-09-2009, 12:20 AM
Just because dealers and craigslist think it's a good deal doesn't mean it is. Ironically the trucks I saw go for those prices were on craigslist. My favorite was the one I had to force myself not to buy, $9500, it was a black 2001 ext cab long box 4x4 with every option on the book including leather interior. I think it had 240k. Gorgeous truck and yes it had a Cummins, it was not a gaspot. Regardless, I'd at least wait on it, with the economy still plunging further down the shitter it won't take too much longer for dealers to start getting desperate.

Jayhall
02-09-2009, 07:19 AM
srsly

Im selling my truck to get the money to buy the dodge. That and Ive vowed to never own another ford for as long as i live.

How does an remote starter work on a diesel truck? Are there alarms avalable that wait for the glow plugs to warm up before starting? Another thing i should mention it that I need an extended cab with the 4th door option. If i wanted a single cab, I wouldnt be looking for a new truck. Im outgrowing my truck, and find myself needing the extra space almost daily.

Puffen: You say it cost you $5k to repair the tranny. Was that a complete rebuild? or just a replacement?

500grhollowpoint
02-09-2009, 07:23 AM
It cycles the glowplugs before it starts. You hit the button, 30 seconds later it starts. Pretty cool.

g-rod
02-09-2009, 12:05 PM
my buddy had a 97 cummins wrecked it, parted it out, bought a 95 2 wheel drive cummins for 6700 sold it for 4800, bought a 97 cummins with 450 tho kms auto, sold it for 5200 and just bought a 97 cummins for 7000 with 325kms and its a standered.... all trucks were ext cab long boxes, 2 autos 2 standerds all above 300kms

ajames
04-05-2009, 10:27 AM
That 12 v is the most bulletproof - easy to make horsepower(not torque) motor of the whole series but stock it's pretty dead. If you aren't gonna mod it it'll be slow but "sip" gas. Too bad toyota never brought a diesel out for they're tacos - the 4.2 l turbo d in my 91 LC doesen't even use glow plugs until it's 10 below now THAT"S engineering.

john deere
04-05-2009, 08:44 PM
keep looking you will find a better deal . i know them 5.9 are good for alot more then 350km but i would look for something alot lower then that they are out there [cheers]

Troy
04-05-2009, 09:49 PM
i didnt read everything but what the hell do you need a big 3/4 ton truck to drive you to richmond everyday for work?

crimsen
04-06-2009, 07:16 PM
tranny is the weak link. i did 6g for mine to do an upgraded rebuild (400-450 hp) as well as some extra goodies like second gear lock up (i have an exhaust brake) and changing the shift points around.

and for power, tune up the injection pump timing and you will be happy. its free and will blow real black the first little while till the motor gets used to it. put a fuel plate in for less than $100 and the yuppies in convertibles in Richmond gonna hate you.

Cookie
04-07-2009, 04:28 AM
12v cummins noted as the million mile motor!!! i need say no more but i WILLL. had my early 98 for 4 yes now and its been the best thing ive ever purchased cause i beat the shit outta everything. no major fixes , torque converter a hub and ya thats it. oh and the rear pinion seal. hasnt changed a tick ive run it for 7-14 days straight many times at idle too. 4 yrs in the patch and its still alive.29 ASSHAULIN drive from northern bc to the coast. 1100km per tank on a tame drive or 750km on passin everything and foot burried for turbo music............................................a re ya sold on cummins yet ?

dirka dave
04-07-2009, 12:27 PM
dodges are better than toyotas because imports suck

You suck...