PDA

View Full Version : Man told me about the jeep is a 4x4 low problem??

darwyn haller
02-06-2009, 12:55 AM
Hello everybody.... I am going to look at a jeep cherokee. So, I just need to know If any of you know about the 4x4 on the Jeep:dontknow: ? I guess the 4 Low is not working so I am wondering if it is easy to fix? Let me know. Thanks everybody.[36]

nbrowser
02-06-2009, 06:56 AM
If it's lifted and has a t-case drop that can affectthe ability to shift the case into 4 Low, otherwise changing a broken t-case on a Jeep is easy, lots of spares around if it's a NP 231. The previous owner could of also swapped in a different case and didn't modify the shifter etc. etc. etc. easiest was to check, get it, going in 2 Hi, stop, get under it, remove the linkage rod going to the t-case shift lever and manually swing it thru the selections, 2Hi, 4 Hi, N and 4 Low. Then again, it's current owner doesn't know about the trick you come to a near stop (rolling ever so slowly) then grab the shifter and take it from 4Hi to 4 Low while just crawling in neutral, I gotta do that in my Jeep sometimes. Hope this helps.

crazylike
02-06-2009, 08:37 AM
just make sure the guy knows that he is supposed to come to a complete stop before trying to put it in 4 lo i have seen some people who try to shift to 4 lo while on fly and don't bother to read the instructions on how to shift properly to 4 lo. if i was you i would just go try it out first i seen the same ad on castanet as your looking at. and my first thought is he doesn't know how to use it properly. but if it is messed up. t-cases for a jeep are cheap and easy to change shouldn't cost any more then 100 bucks for one.

darwyn haller
02-06-2009, 09:14 AM
OK great thanks guys I will go try it out myself and see if I can get it to work.

dh_4_ever
02-07-2009, 04:29 AM
ive had problems with the linkage itself [preveventing it from going into 4Low (mines disconnected right now because its so damn worn, so i guess you could kinda say i neutered the 4x4) if its worn or out of adjustment, it will be just shy of engaging it. make sure by shifting it manually. i usually try to put it in 4low, then crawl underneath then push the plate on the t-case down towards the rear, to ensure its locked in (sometimes gota jiggle the driveshaft as well) :party0010:

drivingmylifeaway
02-07-2009, 05:33 PM
When I first got my cherokee I could never get it into 4lo.I thought that something was wrong with the transfer case but as it turns out all I have to do is push the lever to the side as I pull it back [16]

I hope its something that simple for you[cheers]

bcmaxx
02-07-2009, 11:29 PM
likely just a linkage adjustment problem. I got sick of the slop in the stock shifter linkage and got rid of it. nice now.

nbrowser
02-07-2009, 11:34 PM
I"m thinkin of just making my own for my Jeep, nothing special just a heim jointed system with adjustable rods, and take some of the complexity out of the stock linkage.....cause sometimes 4Low is difficult to get into unless I'm creeping along

dh_4_ever
02-08-2009, 02:51 AM
the wifes old S10 had a cable, going to an NP 231 version "C" I never checked weather or not it could be modified to fit in a jeep, but it is an idea.

jeepxj89
02-09-2009, 09:22 PM
mine did that too, so i just sawzalled out the shiftgate under the centerconsole

bcmaxx
02-09-2009, 09:44 PM
I"m thinkin of just making my own for my Jeep, nothing special just a heim jointed system with adjustable rods, and take some of the complexity out of the stock linkage.....cause sometimes 4Low is difficult to get into unless I'm creeping along

$30 buck
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee110/bcmaxx/Picture005.jpg

tight,positive and very adjustible