PDA

View Full Version : anyone chipped thier gas pot?

nonhighwayservice
01-29-2009, 10:11 PM
I just chipped my '05 2500 with a hypertech programmer, and it didn't seem to do a phuckin thing.
Anyone else chip theirs, if so what programmer and what kind of results?

01-29-2009, 10:49 PM
I was thinkin bout chipping my 5.2 Dak.Maybe i'll wait.

B
01-29-2009, 10:51 PM
with out a air intake system and exhaust ... the only REALLY noticeable gain's will be on the hwy and at WOT ...

nonhighwayservice
01-29-2009, 11:03 PM
I've got the intake and exhaust already, I'm thinkin the chip was a piece of shit

Moondog
01-29-2009, 11:23 PM
Hypertech are a crock of shit! If you want power gains for your gas pot have a look here http://www.bankspower.com/

nonhighwayservice
01-29-2009, 11:50 PM
the only gas stuff they had was exhaust, banks is pretty much all diesel stuff [cheers]

StillRYE
01-30-2009, 09:42 AM
We went through and tested pretty much every chip on my bosses 06 F-150 and the only one that made any kind of noticable difference was the Edge. That being said I just put an Edge in my 98 F-150 a couple of days ago and I haven't noticed shit.
My boss actually ended up getting one custom programmed and he was extremely happy with it. http://dygytalworld.ehost-services139.com/php/

HEAVY METAL
01-30-2009, 11:46 AM
diablo sport predator....but my truck has bigger injectors, bigger fuel rail, msd coil packs msd ign, headers and intake... so its hard too tell if just the programmer made a dif. when i take it out i sure notice a diff, specially in shifting.

MetalMan
01-30-2009, 12:26 PM
For gas engines they're all pretty useless, unfortunately. The only people I've known who claimed they had gains from them are the same people who claimed they had gains from a K&N air filter. In real life, if you want more power out of a gaspot you need to do a little more work than that. Having your computer reprogrammed will give you gains, but you will need to run high octane fuel for any program worth its salt.

g-rod
01-30-2009, 12:28 PM
I put a bunch in my 01 dodge, superchips i noticed, then with my 02 dodge, i had an aftermarket computer so no chips would go in, but try superchips

dirka dave
01-30-2009, 12:53 PM
I chipped my 82 Toyota with a dorito....

:dontknow:

HEAVY METAL
01-30-2009, 01:00 PM
For gas engines they're all pretty useless, unfortunately. The only people I've known who claimed they had gains from them are the same people who claimed they had gains from a K&N air filter. In real life, if you want more power out of a gaspot you need to do a little more work than that. Having your computer reprogrammed will give you gains, but you will need to run high octane fuel for any program worth its salt.

not true...

are you taking into effect the top speed limiter, rev limiter, fuel mixture, spark advancement, shift points and firmness, ability too read and cancel codes etc etc??????? id say there are far from useless.

Ironman
01-30-2009, 01:09 PM
I prefer Pringle chips myself

dirka dave
01-30-2009, 01:19 PM
I find that pringles clog up my carb.

Now if you want a real boost....Old Dutch Rippled kicks you back in the seat !! [36]

Ironman
01-30-2009, 01:21 PM
nahhh doritos give you that extra burn when you need it most

dirka dave
01-30-2009, 01:23 PM
Yeah, burring out your ass....

guess it's like a nitrus shot...:confused0006:

MetalMan
01-30-2009, 03:23 PM
not true...

are you taking into effect the top speed limiter, rev limiter, fuel mixture, spark advancement, shift points and firmness, ability too read and cancel codes etc etc??????? id say there are far from useless.

You're talking about power programmers, not chips/modules.

Explorer guy418
01-30-2009, 03:55 PM
dean i am thinking about that diablo also.... but also on the superchip programmer... didn't u have the superchip?

surreysinner
01-30-2009, 04:42 PM
From what i understand chips dont do much unless you do exaust and air first. Your adding more fuel with no way to properly expell the the gas and no extra air added.

As for k@n filters, I did it on my diesel it may no differnce at all just made the turbo way louder which was worth the money too me[36]

Trooper
01-30-2009, 06:39 PM
Chips dont do shit unless you have a way to get more fuel and air in. The way you get more power is to compleatly burn more fuel. Biggest gain for your doller would be a cam. Then intake, exhaust, injectors.

Trooper
01-30-2009, 06:41 PM
From what i understand chips dont do much unless you do exaust and air first. Your adding more fuel with no way to properly expell the the gas and no extra air added.

As for k@n filters, I did it on my diesel it may no differnce at all just made the turbo way louder which was worth the money too me[36]

K&Ns actually do more harm then good They fuck up your air flow sensers. Oiled air filers = voided engine warrenty.

vajayjay
01-30-2009, 06:47 PM
I did an airraid cold air and throttle body spacer on my hemi, sounds way cooler (almost like it has a turbo)and more snappy acceleration and magnaflow dual cat back thinking about a chip.

nonhighwayservice
01-30-2009, 09:15 PM
Chips dont do shit unless you have a way to get more fuel and air in. The way you get more power is to compleatly burn more fuel. Biggest gain for your doller would be a cam. Then intake, exhaust, injectors.

I'm tryin to kinda be cheap about it, I've done the exhaust and intake, I was thinkin of the throttle body spacer. I've heard superchips are pretty good. maybe i'll try that :dontknow:

dirka dave
01-31-2009, 12:34 AM
CHIP= California Highway patrol....

MetalMan
01-31-2009, 12:17 PM
I put a JET module on my 5.2 Dakota a couple years back. A full year after I installed it the module casing failed between a positive wire and ground wire and burned a hole right through it, nearly lighting the whole works on fire. The computer had to be replaced as well, and JET refused to warranty the module or reimburse me for the computer. Chips/modules in general are NOT worth the money, and JET in particular has terrible customer service so if you're really adamant about doing this (you really shouldn't bother) then stay away from them.

Explorer guy418
01-31-2009, 12:30 PM
K&Ns actually do more harm then good They fuck up your air flow sensers. Oiled air filers = voided engine warrenty.

mostly on a diesel... because they suck way more... sucks the oil right onto the sensor. and only void if u get caught;)

nonhighwayservice
01-31-2009, 04:45 PM
from what i've been looking at, it seems superchips is gonna be the way to go

epic3
01-31-2009, 06:42 PM
not true...

Put down the flyer smart guy

dirka dave
01-31-2009, 06:53 PM
Put down the flyer smart guy

[cheers]

Good one...

Explorer guy418
01-31-2009, 10:07 PM
anyone know the good and bad on these guys...

http://images.autoanything.com/images/products/med/performance/superchips_ford_truck_tuner_authorized_dealer.jpg

I seen some on ebay.. im not sure weir else to look? and im paranoid something is gunna fuck up on my truck..dont need my computer or shit frying... :D any input would be appreciated...

StillRYE
02-02-2009, 12:14 PM

K&N filters do not void warrenty any dealer trying to tell you that is full of shit. K&N actually went through a big lawsuit with the big 3 a few years ago and they won.
If you have a K&N filter and your dealer refuses you warrenty because of it K&N actually has a legal department you can call and they will go after the dealer on your behalf free of charge.

That being said K&N's I think are great for gas engines but not for diesels they're just not built strong enough I have seen diesel engines actually suck the filter apart if it gets to dirty.

Papa Pete
02-02-2009, 12:30 PM
[iagree] Had my K&N pretty much since the day I bought my Heep and never was refused warranty work

nonhighwayservice
02-02-2009, 06:48 PM
Federal law prohibits a dealer from voiding your warranty just because you use aftermarket equiptment with only 2 exceptions. The warranty can be voided if the aftermarket part causes damage or adversely affects the emission system.

Moondog
02-02-2009, 07:32 PM
K&N filters do not void warrenty any dealer trying to tell you that is full of shit. K&N actually went through a big lawsuit with the big 3 a few years ago and they won.
If you have a K&N filter and your dealer refuses you warrenty because of it K&N actually has a legal department you can call and they will go after the dealer on your behalf free of charge.

That being said K&N's I think are great for gas engines but not for diesels they're just not built strong enough I have seen diesel engines actually suck the filter apart if it gets to dirty.

[iagree] I have had a K&N and 5" Dual Exhaust on my 05 Cummins scince the day I bought it.
I have had absulutely 0 problems with the dealer over it my truck goes in every 6k for it's scheduled servicing and the dealer has told me that they feel that the way my truck is set up is the way it should come from the factory.
Thats the key with any oiled filter you must clean it on a regular basis.
They would not let me lift it though as they said that could void the warranty due to drastic changes in the drive angles but they did allow me to put a levelling kit on it so i could fit 35's under it. Most dealers are quite happy for you to do mods to your vehicle they just expect you to run it by them first.

suberman
02-02-2009, 08:58 PM
Get something old with no warrenty and not have to worry about asking to do something to YOUR truck...

nonhighwayservice
02-02-2009, 10:15 PM
I actually wasen't too worried about warranty, I want to know what a good chip/programmer is? The hypertech one I think is a POS

Trooper
02-02-2009, 10:55 PM
Any filter that allows more air flow will also allow more airborne contaminants to pass through the filter and into the combustion chamber.

For that reason, I don't use a K&N or similar air filter even though I would like the better engine performance afforded by such a filter.
I think most of the issues caused with k&ns are way to heavy a coating of oil. We all know any oil in the intake of a newer engine will damage sensers and cause faulty readings.

Here are a couple of articles
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/... (http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm)

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/... (http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest3.htm)

StillRYE
02-03-2009, 02:26 PM
That is probably the worst "scientific" test I have ever seen.
I agree that aftermarket filters are alot of hype but no one should make any kind of decision based on this guys pathetic attempt at testing.

StillRYE
02-03-2009, 02:29 PM
Any filter that allows more air flow will also allow more airborne contaminants to pass through the filter and into the combustion chamber.

For that reason, I don't use a K&N or similar air filter even though I would like the better engine performance afforded by such a filter.
I think most of the issues caused with k&ns are way to heavy a coating of oil. We all know any oil in the intake of a newer engine will damage sensers and cause faulty readings.

Here are a couple of articles
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/... (http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm)

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/... (http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest3.htm)

You would basically have to dump the oil straight into the intake in order to damage the sensors.

HEAVY METAL
02-03-2009, 03:30 PM
You would basically have to dump the oil straight into the intake in order to damage the sensors.

not true yo.. some people. waaaaaay over oil their filters.. ive seen it[cheers]

StillRYE
02-03-2009, 06:01 PM
not true yo.. some people. waaaaaay over oil their filters.. ive seen it[cheers]

I have seen it too but the oil doesn't hurt the sensors. I can't imagine it's very good for anything but it's definately not a dire situation like alot of dealers would have you believe.

MetalMan
02-03-2009, 09:54 PM
MAF sensors don't function well with a coating of oil. Regardless, oiled air filters are fine as long as you don't over oil them. As for freer flowing filters letting more junk in, that's the entire point of an oiled filter...the filter flows better and the oil catches the junk the filter doesn't. They're win-win.

Explorer guy418
02-09-2009, 06:14 PM
SUPERCHIP ?'s - just a question for the people that have them ... i currenty got mine. threw it in programmed it and notice a big difference.. for those of you who have the max micro tuner what would u recommend i use the superchip settings or i tune it in custom... im just not sure what should be set to what to get the full power this thing can put out... any input would be awesome. thank u.[cheers]

StillRYE
02-10-2009, 12:44 PM
The reason most people claim they notice a big difference is if they have an automatic it messes with all your shift points and firmness so it feels like your getting more power but your not actually.

Explorer guy418
02-10-2009, 12:46 PM
well im gaurenteed 110% i got more power. yeah the shifting is more firm but i got more power no doubt.

MetalMan
02-10-2009, 02:41 PM
Handheld programmers do make a difference, I have first hand experience to back that up. However, the chips/modules aren't worth the sweat off my ass, they're overpriced pieces of junk. Guys, understand that you have to seperate the two, they are not the same.

StillRYE
02-11-2009, 03:30 PM
well im gaurenteed 110% i got more power. yeah the shifting is more firm but i got more power no doubt.

Did you dyno it?

Explorer guy418
02-11-2009, 04:14 PM
Did you dyno it?
nope. but with the programmer u can feel it makes a huge difference... i personally feel there is more power. maybe there is maybe there isn't im going with there is more power.

MetalMan
02-11-2009, 04:25 PM
I've played with them before, you can modify shift points and firmness seperate from timing and fuel. I have tried maxing timing and fuel without touching shift parameters and definitely felt a difference. The handheld programmers are much more effective than chips or modules.