PDA

View Full Version : Axle seals go under 40,000 km?

godtool
01-26-2009, 08:12 AM
Is it normal for the front axle seals to go within 40,000 km? I do live up in this really cold climate with lots of snow and ice so we use the 4 wheel drive quite a bit. With our rear automatic locker on icy roads the back end will very easily slip to the side so we use the 4 Wheel Drive quite a bit even from 100 mile house down to Hope which we did several times this winter. Of course we don't use it on dry pavement. Plus when you're in 2 wheel drive the front axles are always spining. Looking in my Haynes manual it seems like a big job to replace the front axle seals.:confused:

poostang
01-26-2009, 07:49 PM
yup they go lots same with oilcoolerlines and trans coolerlines

Trooper
01-27-2009, 12:00 AM
My AWD landcruiser had 220k on it before the front diff seals went. They should last a hell of allot longer then 40k. Get viton replacements from seals unlimited. Measure your old ones up give them the dimensions and they will have them way cheaper then oem. Check to make sure your axles arent worn tho. IF they are and you do the job yourself just dont set the seal in all the way leave it out about .020 to clear the wear ridge.

godtool
01-27-2009, 07:53 AM
Trooper, thanks for all the tips. I'll do that. I found out yesterday through GMPP (warranty protection plan), that my seals are only warrantied for 1 yr or 15,000 km so I'll wait till spring to replace these seals....:o