PDA

View Full Version : beadlocks?

2grnd4u
01-25-2009, 12:23 PM
hey guys always wondered if beadlocks were road legal. probably till you get caught right?? :dontknow:

youngun
01-25-2009, 03:58 PM
just tell the cop they are fake locks, they don't know the difference...

2grnd4u
01-25-2009, 09:33 PM
oh ya? thats the trick??

Stetson
01-28-2009, 01:07 PM
yes there are a few assortment of DOT approved bead locks, what do you think are on a Hummer H1? approved bead locks are of coarse a little more expensive, some are like the 2 piece H1 style, and others are an inflatible ring that straps around the rim on the inside of the tire and when inflated presses the bead to the rim. this style works vewry well as it secures the inner and outer bead, not just the outer.

http://www.staunproducts.com/images/beadlock.jpg

dirka dave
01-28-2009, 01:39 PM
just tell the cop they are fake locks, they don't know the difference...

That works if the cop works in Vancouver, but not out in the smaller towns...

Cops are being better trained in roadside "inspections"..... If they think you are lying to them they will just order a CVIP.....

B
01-28-2009, 02:34 PM
That works if the cop works in Vancouver, but not out in the smaller towns...

Cops are being better trained in roadside "inspections"..... If they think you are lying to them they will just order a CVIP.....

and you swap wheels for it then put the beadlockers back on after ;)

SHORTBOXCHEVY
01-28-2009, 06:11 PM
can u get them inside the tire, inflatable version for a 16.5x12?

Apathy
01-28-2009, 07:29 PM
I have recently had this discussion with a US federal Law enforcement officer.
Teh Rules in canada are damn near exactly the same as in the states.

There is Nothing on the books that says your wheels must be DOT approved to drive on the road.

I'd look into this, as i think that the cops are full of SHIT. I have spoke to people about this as well
There was an article in Petersons about it as well.

i alwasy thought that DIY beadlocks and most bolt on styles were prohibited. But as for the states, its BS.

Check the books for wheel requirements.

KINGCRUISER
01-28-2009, 08:32 PM

There is Nothing on the books that says your wheels must be DOT approved to drive on the road.

I'd look into this, as i think that the cops are full of SHIT. I have spoke to people about this as well

i alwasy thought that DIY beadlocks and most bolt on styles were prohibited. But as for the states, its BS.

Id like to find more info on this as I had a warning about my DIY locks. I dont really understand why they would be illegal at all?

m j
01-28-2009, 08:37 PM

same story on the p4x4 thread, and the PC4x4 thread that is active.
I am getting bombed by the "they are illegal" crowd of course but none can find a law stating a required testing for aftermarket rims.
one vague 3rd hand reference stating rims have to meet SAE J328 but no word on the source of that info.
wheel requirement info is rare on the "books"

Apathy
01-28-2009, 10:07 PM
think of it this way.

Is your Rubicon Express lift kit DOT approved?

NOPE

2grnd4u
02-03-2009, 08:03 PM
ya i dont think i have ever seen a DOT stamped wheel. is there any books or other sources for vehicle laws in bc? cop-shop have something??

jesslee
02-03-2009, 08:53 PM
there is DOT approved beadlocks, alot more pricey though

http://www.4x4groupbuy.com/store/rock-monster-beadlock-approved-15x8-jeep-ford-p-2611.html

RAW
02-16-2009, 10:20 AM
If you are willing to spend $25 you can get the Vehicle Safety and Inspection Standards Online. http://www.vsis.qp.gov.bc.ca/default.htm Keep it in your truck and ask the cop that pulls you over to find the section where bead locks are considered illegal.

StinkFinger
02-16-2009, 10:38 AM
i have searched and cant find any thing that states that they are legal or ilegal there are some things that could be interpreted either way

also hummer beadlocks have a dot number as well as a specific not legal for civilian use stamp on them

RAW
02-16-2009, 10:52 AM
If it's not in the book it's not illegal... We have these books so things like this can not be interpreted two different ways. It is black and white for a reason and any cop that wants to argue it will look like a complete fool in front of a court room.

Murd0c
02-16-2009, 05:40 PM
just make sure they are clean bolts are always tight so if you get pulled over the cop don't have the ability to give you a VI for a stupid perventable reason.