PDA

View Full Version : WTF?

Throttle
01-22-2009, 06:02 PM
A friend of mine has an 84 F150 with the 'I' beam front diff (TTB I think its called). Anyway, he managed to snap the yoke on the passenger side axle shaft where it attaches to the diff. Looking at it, it doesn't look like there's a whole hell of a lot of room to replace the U joint in place.... How do you replace that particular U joint? Secondly, he's got to replace the yoke aswell. Can we just pull the shaft apart (in two) and slide on a new one?

Thanks!

bigyellowbronco
01-22-2009, 07:21 PM
theres plenty of room

dirka dave
01-22-2009, 07:58 PM
A friend of mine has an 84 F150 with the 'I' beam front diff (TTB I think its called). Anyway, he managed to snap the yoke on the passenger side axle shaft where it attaches to the diff. Looking at it, it doesn't look like there's a whole hell of a lot of room to replace the U joint in place.... How do you replace that particular U joint? Secondly, he's got to replace the yoke aswell. Can we just pull the shaft apart (in two) and slide on a new one?

Thanks!

Beat it with a big hammer....

fullsizebronco
01-25-2009, 11:01 AM
haha just did that yesterday it was the passenger side yoke as well but we cheeted we used a c clamp press that you use with an impact gun to get what was left of the u joint out and then put it back together with the new yoke and slid the axle shaft back in

jayinsurrey
01-25-2009, 12:41 PM
to replace the shaft coming out of the diff, youneed to pull the diff/3rd member

jayinsurrey
01-25-2009, 12:42 PM
to replace the shaft coming out of the diff, youneed to pull the diff/3rd member to undoe the c clip

T.O.
01-25-2009, 02:20 PM
maybe search google and get off your ass and work it out.

radman
01-29-2009, 09:57 AM
if you need to get the inner u-joint and shaft out, some of the older d-44's have a plate with 3 bolts arround the shaft that hold the shaft, bearing, and seal in the carier, take the bolts out and give it a fiew tugs and out it comes, otherwise, the outer shaft will come out of the inner shaft if you take the clamp off the boot and pull the shaft out out