PDA

View Full Version : Upper lower ball joints

crazydude
01-09-2009, 05:42 PM
Has any one done a set of upper and lower ball joints on a 01 Ram mine are in desperate need to be done just wondering will they just pound out or are they going to be hell to do. [cheers]

MetalMan
01-09-2009, 06:18 PM
Pretty much any ball joint that doesn't have bolts holding it in will be pressed in. You might even have to cut the old ones out. New ones need to be pressed in properly, no hammering!

crazydude
01-09-2009, 07:26 PM
Pretty much any ball joint that doesn't have bolts holding it in will be pressed in. You might even have to cut the old ones out. New ones need to be pressed in properly, no hammering!

Cant you just hammer against a piece of wood to get them in :confused:

MetalMan
01-09-2009, 09:13 PM
Sure, if you want to wreck them. These aren't U-joints...I'm sure there are some vehicles that if they've gone through a few ball joints and the openings are getting worn out that you could pull that off. Don't count on it. The factory pressed them in, because that's how they're designed to work. If you could just whack them in, don't you think it would be hard to keep them in there as well?

crazydude
01-09-2009, 09:42 PM
Sure, if you want to wreck them. These aren't U-joints...I'm sure there are some vehicles that if they've gone through a few ball joints and the openings are getting worn out that you could pull that off. Don't count on it. The factory pressed them in, because that's how they're designed to work. If you could just whack them in, don't you think it would be hard to keep them in there as well?

I see what your saying now, searched around and found there is a special tool for removing and installing the ball joints. So now I either have to buy it or find a place to rent it for a day.

F150HULK
01-09-2009, 10:24 PM
Hell. Go to shop!

crazydude
01-10-2009, 09:42 AM
Hell. Go to shop!

Hell no when I can do it my self, the ball joints them self are going to cost $500 for all 4

Stetson
01-10-2009, 12:58 PM
done 1/2 , 3/4 , and 1-ton ball joints on chev, fords, etc, and have only ever used a hammer. I do have a selection of pieces of pipe ive made up over the years that slip over the new ball joints when installing so they only hammer the base, otherwise to get the old ones out, dont be shy, a couple of wacks, again dont hit it like a puss, and they pop right out. :D

The fuzz
01-10-2009, 01:02 PM
done 1/2 , 3/4 , and 1-ton ball joints on chev, fords, etc, and have only ever used a hammer. I do have a selection of pieces of pipe ive made up over the years that slip over the new ball joints when installing so they only hammer the base, otherwise to get the old ones out, dont be shy, a couple of wacks, again dont hit it like a puss, and they pop right out. :D

ya thats what i used, but mine were a bitch , beat the hell out of em

MetalMan
01-10-2009, 01:53 PM

Good way to warp A-arms and damage the balljoint. There's a reason why no decent mechanic will take a hammer to your balljoints.