PDA

View Full Version : head gaskit

yoda thrills
01-09-2009, 12:02 PM
hello everybody. its been a while. but like always its time 2 give the toy a better seal. my question is am i able 2 remove the distributour and put it bak in without haven to get it timed..? thanks everyone

dirka dave
01-09-2009, 12:05 PM
Just mark the position of the distributor body, and note the position of the rotor and you should be alright.

Toyquad
01-09-2009, 12:42 PM
what he said.

yoda thrills
01-09-2009, 04:43 PM
i herd that b4, im not intending on taken the valve cover or head off, i just want find exactly were im leakin from. i want to take the distributour out of the head. because it limits my vision. with the valve cover being on i wont be able to mark the gears on the end of the distributour......

shawn_ruley
01-09-2009, 05:57 PM
you would have to take off the valve cover to mark the gears. if its been a while since you pulled the valve cover, go to Toyota and get new cork washers for the valve cover bolts. You might be able to get them at an auto parts store...I dont know

-red paint pen from dorco works pretty good for marking things like the distributor

...is it an oil leak you are looking for?

yoda thrills
01-09-2009, 07:03 PM
ya, an oil leak. from the head gasket i assume. i wan2 remove the distributour to take a peak

shawn_ruley
01-09-2009, 07:14 PM
is it coming out of the passenger side of the block?

yoda thrills
01-09-2009, 08:51 PM
no. driver side. front of the blok. top of the timing chain cover. but it has worsend. if i just replaced the gasket would i have 2 get the head or anything machined......?

dirka dave
01-09-2009, 09:31 PM
Head gskts usually leak oil under the timing cover......

If there is oil comming out the side it's probably something else....

It could be comming from the timing cover gskt.

There is also a 12mm bolt under the distributor drive that might be loose, but be carefull not to over torque it and strip it.

shawn_ruley
01-09-2009, 11:10 PM

There is also a 12mm bolt under the distributor drive that might be loose, but be carefull not to over torque it and strip it.

haha I was thinking of the little oil passage way that goes up the block, into the head. mine leaked from there at the head gasket and had to replace it.

Cant you just remove the front cover and get to the leak from there?:dontknow:

slacker
01-10-2009, 12:05 AM
hello everybody. its been a while. but like always its time 2 give the toy a better seal. my question is am i able 2 remove the distributour and put it bak in without haven to get it timed..? thanks everyone

well as per your ORIGINAL question ..

take a 19mm socket and rachet , and twist the crank to TDC .. 0* alignment on the crank pully .

you can then remove your distributor cap , and it should be pointed at #1 on the cap . remove the bolt that holds the distributor in and then you can pull out the distributor ... as you remove it it will rotate straight up to @ 90* . [** important** Note the position of the rotor , and as you pull it out , it will rotate forward from # 1 on the cap to 90* ]

as long as you dont move the lower end of the engine .. you should be able to incert the distributor with rotor @ 90* and it will turn back to # 1 with out any problems ..

I have done this numorus times .
hope it helps

yoda thrills
01-10-2009, 12:27 AM

the 12mm bolt was indeed loose...im hopein that was it, i didnt bother toching the distributour, but the K&N breather filter i have on my valve cover blows blue smoke wen the RPMs inrease....? thanks for al the help

slacker
01-10-2009, 12:40 AM
bad advise .. did you check torque spec ? if you over tighten , you will actually crack the bolt boss causing another leak !!! timing cover is NOT presurized .. it will NOT blow oil out .. it can leak , yes .. but tightening a bolt? ....... this dosnt sound like your problem !!

valve cover blows blue smoke wen the RPMs inrease....?
this is "blow by" or simply burning oil on the manifold ..

yoda thrills
01-10-2009, 11:28 AM
bad advise .. did you check torque spec ? if you over tighten , you will actually crack the bolt boss causing another leak !!! timing cover is NOT presurized .. it will NOT blow oil out .. it can leak , yes .. but tightening a bolt? ....... this dosnt sound like your problem !!

this is "blow by" or simply burning oil on the manifold ..

last nite i cleaned the area around where i think its leakin from, which is top of timing cover more towards driver side. theres a 12mm bolt that holds a bracket for alternator, and snugs the timing cover 2 the head. so with that area cleand i startd the truk and let it run for a while, after about 5 min i slowly increased the RPMs and noticed the leakin at a constant rate. at the same time smoke was pouring out of the breather filter, what could be the problem... and does one go about fixing it?