PDA

View Full Version : starter motor doesn't turn off

Troy
01-07-2009, 03:07 PM
87 ranger 2.9L

rebuilt the starter. the original relay (solenoid) would click but wouldn't send power to the starter so i figured the contacts inside were worn out.

put a new lordco niehoff relay in. good as new. start the motor and turn off about 4 times to double check. go to start again and the starter motor will not stop turning even with the ignition OFF. so i had to disconnect the battery so it would stop spinning.

I go back and get another starter relay, no big deal maybe the other one was faulty. install the new one, start up and turn off 3 times. works good. go to back out of my driveway with the e-brake on and i stall the engine. go to start again and the motherfucking starter will not turn off.

something is frying the solenoid contacts and freezing it in the 'on' position to send power to the starter motor.

im boggled

radman
01-07-2009, 03:21 PM
had the same problem, took a factory relay out of a parts car and no problem so far.

Troy
01-07-2009, 04:04 PM
so you think the niehoff ones could be a bad batch?

Ginger Snaps
01-07-2009, 04:07 PM
get a new starter you know who to call...

Troy
01-07-2009, 04:09 PM
get a new starter you know who to call...

the starter works fine.

read next time skinny guy

Reaper
01-07-2009, 05:31 PM
niehoff is crap get factory one (have gone through 4 on one car before I got a good one)

and it could be the starter still sticking if it has the solinoid on it as well as the fender well one (ford and there dumb idea of 2 solinoinds)

Troy
01-07-2009, 07:40 PM
niehoff is crap get factory one (have gone through 4 on one car before I got a good one)

and it could be the starter still sticking if it has the solinoid on it as well as the fender well one (ford and there dumb idea of 2 solinoinds)

went to the junkyard and got 3 solenoids out of some exploders

put the first one in and what do you know, works just fine. and i have 2 spares[36]

it appears the niehoff ones are shit. usually their stuff is good but i guess all companys have their weak spots.:dontknow:

nbrowser
01-07-2009, 07:59 PM
Yeah Niehoff makes some decent stuff....and some crap stuff, the Ford starter solenoids fall into the crap category, I try to use Echlin from Napa as they seeem ok and worst to worst....I'll call the closeby Ford dealer and do a Ford part.

Troy
01-08-2009, 12:28 AM
Yeah Niehoff makes some decent stuff....and some crap stuff, the Ford starter solenoids fall into the crap category, I try to use Echlin from Napa as they seeem ok and worst to worst....I'll call the closeby Ford dealer and do a Ford part.

ya its kind of like how lordco doesnt carry the spicer stuff, but napa does.... id rather have spicer parts than shitty moog

importcrusher
01-09-2009, 11:59 PM
ive had lots of problems with those solenoids get a factory one it ll work better,damn cheap labour partsproducers

Troy
01-10-2009, 12:02 AM
ive had lots of problems with those solenoids get a factory one it ll work better,damn cheap labour partsproducers

ya i ended up getting a bunch of original ford ones from a junkyard and no problems what so ever

i even got my money back for the shitty niehoff onego fuck yourself