PDA

View Full Version : rebuild time

A6D9
01-07-2009, 10:35 AM
Figured I'd let you all know my plans for my rig. and see if i forgot anything....

started with a 1987 Ford Ranger with the 2.9L V6 manual transfer case and manual hibs and 3 inch body lift and 31" tires. with a big bush bumper....sorry no pics :(

now on new years day my GF decided to take the truck to her moms to get soem stuff, and well she blew eather the tranny or transfer case. I'm still not sure..never actualy seen it yet.

so this is what we got planned:
-suspention lift, will be about 5-6 inches we plan on putting all F150 suspention in it same TTB setup just beefy stuff that will lift me up.
-New tranny same that is in it now 5 spd
-upgradign the dana 28 to a dana 35
-installing front and back 410 gears
-new flat bed
-rock guarding the whole body with 2 coats and then painting..just spray bomb.
-35" tires (here is where i need help)
-and hopefuly gettign a delivery of a nice Warn 10 000lbs winch from a fellow fun in BCer.

the truck will be used mainly as a weekend fun truck for me and my GF and her kido 11 today :)

dirt roads and the odd "easy" trail..and in the winter will be my drive to work in storm...we easterners get wicked back storms all the time and the 4x4 will be nice.

but as for tires am i better off with an AT? or M/S?
or am i better off going boggers for when i wana go offroad...and have another street set for road stuff?

I'm leanign towards M/S or AT....but no idea on name brands...i can get a set of 35/9/16 of military tires for $500 asking should i could negotiate a wee bit there.

also about the truck...any other words of advice before i forget anything...what should be addressed and not addressed.

rmiller026
01-07-2009, 10:51 AM
so ur front ends gunna be wider then ur rear ??? just get a jeep dana 30 or a fsj 44 and be dont with it ur just putting a bigger band aid on a band aid

A6D9
01-07-2009, 10:57 AM
should be the same width...

repalcign the rear as well forgot to add that...lol and not going full size axles going with exploder stuff for that...just full size suspention..

rmiller026
01-07-2009, 10:59 AM
o ur running f150 coils and shit thought u were putting a f150 front end in and leaving the rear the same

A6D9
01-07-2009, 11:05 AM
nope putting and 8.8 in the rear and dana 35 int he front..all bolt in only thing i need to do is shorten the driveshaft by 1 inch...

and yup f15 coils and torsion bars and what not....and leafs in the rear gotta get rid of those annoying blocks and what not

Troy
01-07-2009, 11:14 AM
87 doesnt have torsion bars and the f150 springs will ride like ass

rear end from an explorer your gonna have to weld new spring perches on top of the axle. and i dont think the f150 ttb brackets are at all similar to the ranger bronco explorer crap. better off to buy a lift kit for the front if your not going to do anything too custom...

A6D9
01-07-2009, 11:18 AM
that's what i thoguht too..but my buddy says he's done it before 2-3 times...

said it will be a ruffer ride..but I"m ok with that,....who needs a cushy ride when your in the woods? lol

Troy
01-07-2009, 11:29 AM
i just dont see the reasoning behind using f150 coils. unless you already have them. heres a little article about it. its a good website lots of info on there about these pieces of shit

http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/Fall2003/F-150_coils_for_your_V8_BII_or_Ranger.htm

A6D9
01-07-2009, 11:29 AM
just realised how cocky that sounded..sorry Troy I thank you for your advice and information, I will mention it to my buddy and maybe he can better explain it. :)

A6D9
01-07-2009, 11:38 AM
yeah i read that rangerstation article...not what he got in mind...we have done that before as well....not that abd..but hard to stay alligned..he got others plans...not sure what..he did explain it to me..but i forget now...lol

rmiller026
01-07-2009, 12:26 PM
i beleive troy has the 35 ur after too at a reasonable price

rmiller026
01-07-2009, 12:27 PM
o yea ur far away

MikeWild
01-07-2009, 12:45 PM
Sounds like you've got it all figured out. Couple things to consider, you'll probably need longer travel shocks. You might also want to look at getting some better radius arms like James Duff's, unless the lift you're looking at comes with them. The stock arms & bushings aren't all that great (IMO) 4:10's will be ok, but seeing as how you're looking to run 35's, you might want to consider 4:56 especially with the 2.9L. I found that motor too under powered for my likes, so I'm throwing in a 4 liter with a mild cam from an exploder.

As mentioned, the rangerstation is a great source of information. Here's a link to my build over there.

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17036&page=2

Good luck and post some pics of your progress

A6D9
01-07-2009, 01:01 PM
Shamefully enought I"m not buildign it ymself..my buddy gets laid off mid feb and said he would help me..and I"ll go down on weekend bu he is over an hrs drive away...

i have asked him to get pics for me to show all..and i will never take credit for stuff i never did.

as for the 2.9 4.0 debate...my plan is to keep the 2.9 for now it should be enought for me for now..and when the time is right hopefuly next spring before wheeling really kicks in out east here....putting in a 302 HO with about 32 000 km on it... ;)

as for those tires rmiller026 you be right..shipping would simply kill me :( I'd love to help support you guys..since you all help me so muhc and what not..but alas I"m not made of that much $$..lol

rmiller026
01-07-2009, 04:53 PM
o yea and get the militaries

Asshat
01-10-2009, 05:32 PM
watch out for the front leaf spring bolts ull probably have to grind em out
but the bolt and nut are the same size as to whats in the spring hanger
good luck