PDA

View Full Version : Won't shift into Park!

godtool
01-05-2009, 06:39 AM
Yesterday, I go to park my 03 Silverado in a parking lot and as I come to a stop I cannot shift into park. Nor can I shift into reverse. It has an Allison Tranny. The shifter felt really wierd.. spungy, did not want to go into park or reverse but could shift into neutral. We rolled it back and I drove home. This same thing or similar happened back in 2005\06. It turned out to be some electronic thing but was covered under warranty. I have the Haynes Manual and it talks about a Park\Lock System Component but could it be the Brake/Transmission Shift Interlock Solenoid?? The manual also talks about turning off the air bag system. I figure if the shop can do it for a hour of labour or less it would be better to take it in... Any idea on what I should do?? I can fix anything on my 81 Jimmy but this 03 Silverado has me a little confused.... :confused0006:

ROBO
01-05-2009, 07:21 AM
get it scanned.. might givea better idea...

dirka dave
01-05-2009, 10:19 AM
I think we need a room just for Allison transmission problems....

importcrusher
01-09-2009, 11:54 PM
thats the problem with electronics it always ends up costin money,unless its under warranty

godtool
01-10-2009, 06:48 AM
$613 later my shifter cable is replaced. It was $304 for the shifter cable. Unlike my 1981 Jimmy, I could make a shifter rod myself in 10 minutes. But it's all worth it. It is sure nice having a nice new truck:) I wonder if I could have bought the shifter cable through Lordco? Just for curiosity's sake, I am going to go into the GM dealership and have them explain to me why it took so long to install:confused0006: In the meantime I'll look in my Haynes manual. As for a scanner, my neighbor bought one, so it'll be interesting to try it on the truck next time something comes up.:)

FINGERS
01-10-2009, 07:25 AM
you should be hoping that there wont be a next time!

Growly Gorilla
02-28-2009, 08:18 AM
I wonder if I could have bought the shifter cable through Lordco? Just for curiosity's sake, I am going to go into the GM dealership and have them explain to me why it took so long to install:confused0006:

Don't think Lordco can get them,they are a pain in the arse to change.I remember seeing yours getting changed,I think your wiring behind the knee bolster had allot to do with how long it took.

godtool
03-02-2009, 07:31 AM
Yah, after looking how to do it in the manual it seemed it would be a pain to change with one good hand plus the air bags are supposed to be deactivated and that was something I did not want to play with. I changed my gear shifter on the steering column a few weeks ago and that was a pain taking the plastic off but once I figured out in what order to put them back on it was easier.