PDA

View Full Version : Locker debate.....

bigrig81
01-05-2009, 12:37 AM
Locker debate.....

so just learning about the different lockers.... i saw on another post that Aussie lockers were the economical way to go....:confused0006:

what are the pros/cons of Aussie lockers?

What are the best lockers? :dontknow:

Insight and debate encouraged :D from what i've seen on here so far there is a few people out there with opinions... well at least a couple :D

Troy
01-05-2009, 01:21 AM
well since im a master debator id say go with a full carrier detroit no spin

and there's nothing economical about owning a 4x4

m j
01-05-2009, 01:45 AM
the lunchbox ones are "cheap" not economical

Apathy
01-05-2009, 07:55 AM
If you are going to use a lunch box locker.. get the aussie.

If you are changing gears, depending on what differential you re using, you will have to get a new carrier anyway, so 75-100 for a carrier. 250-350 for the aussie.. ofr 550 for a full detroit.

Vastier
01-05-2009, 08:16 AM
I'd go with the real deal and get the full detroit. You'll wish you had down the road.[cheers]

pumpkin
01-05-2009, 08:34 AM
Nothing to debate, Detroit,,,,,,,,,everything else is a compromise, that will not stand up as well as the real deal. All the other lockers are just cheap imitations of the Detroit. Buy the best, and you only have to buy it once.

Apathy
01-05-2009, 09:22 AM
Nothing to debate, Detroit,,,,,,,,,everything else is a compromise, that will not stand up as well as the real deal. All the other lockers are just cheap imitations of the Detroit. Buy the best, and you only have to buy it once.

detroits are not bullet proof.but they are top of the line.
I've had to buy 2
here is what happens to your detroit when you break a shaft.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f138/87pathy/DSCF0223.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f138/87pathy/DSCF0225.jpg

barracuda
01-05-2009, 09:42 AM
I've had to buy 2

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f138/87pathy/DSCF0225.jpg

youngun
01-05-2009, 09:55 AM
just weld it, cheap and easy....

barracuda
01-05-2009, 10:36 AM
but not a locker

In The Zone
01-05-2009, 11:13 AM
Detroit...........as said

Tunabomber
01-05-2009, 11:13 AM
detroit is the only right choice i have made in my jeep [16]

dirka dave
01-05-2009, 11:30 AM
Open diffs are the best !!!

sj-x 500
01-05-2009, 12:04 PM
weld it and forget it. depending on what model of axle.
if you dd it, go selectable. arb, (toyota) e-locker. ecteds are balls. soft lockers are balls. ez lockers are balls. full case detroit is the only way to go if you don't wanna run a spool/welded unit, and don't want to spend the extra 300 bucks go step up to a selectable.

a spool is a locker. just not an AUTOMATIC locker like a detroit.

England
01-05-2009, 01:36 PM
Spool if cash is a issue DO NOT DO AN AUSSIE LOCKER !!! I have seen 1 guy go through 2 of the things in under a year ..

But yeah other wise detriot

Oh just been told he installed the Aussie wrong so ignore that

sj-x 500
01-05-2009, 05:23 PM
i haven't heard of many other people blowin up aussies. if one guy is killin that many, he's likely got a bent housing.

Ginger Snaps
01-05-2009, 05:57 PM
detriot or spool in the back and a arb or ox in the front

1980supreme
01-05-2009, 06:01 PM
I've had an aussie locker in the rear of my Toyota for about a year now. The thing's been great to me.

bigrig81
01-05-2009, 07:04 PM
well since im a master debator id say go with a full carrier detroit no spin

and there's nothing economical about owning a 4x4

no way..... sooo glad you told me before i started! :D [f]

just weld it, cheap and easy....

you're in highschool right? ;) haha yeah i don't want to run welded a little too banjo for what i intend to use the truck for.

but not a locker

exactly

detroit is the only right choice i have made in my jeep [16]

what other choices did you make and did you try the aussie?

i haven't heard of many other people blowin up aussies. if one guy is killin that many, he's likely got a bent housing.

makes sense for sure

detriot or spool in the back and a arb or ox in the front

why would you choose to do them different front to back? obviously fully and continually locked in the front willl make steering a nightmare, but any other reasons? like why not a detroit in the front?

I've had an aussie locker in the rear of my Toyota for about a year now. The thing's been great to me.

that's kidna what i was hoping to hear :D

thanks all! keep the input coming! i consider everything!

F150HULK
01-05-2009, 07:09 PM
Break what ya got then upgrade. Spend the few extra bucks, it will be worth it.

Ginger Snaps
01-05-2009, 07:43 PM
its just nice having that option of being fully locked in the front or open at the flick of a switch.

Vastier
01-05-2009, 08:51 PM
I turned away from the arb's for maintenance issues. Too many things to go wrong. My detroit true-trac up front works perfectly. I'd do it again. [cheers]

Moondog
01-05-2009, 09:03 PM
Detroit E-lockers front and back. Turn them both off when you don't need them switch either one on when you do.
http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/ProductsServices/PerformanceProducts/Products/Differentials/Elocker/index.htm

m j
01-05-2009, 11:19 PM
so you already made up your mind to get it, just do it.
I have tried 2 of the lunch box pieces of junk and they just arent worth the effort IMO
the same guy that designed the lockrote and powertrax did the Aussie.
he just keeps selling the design to whoever will buy it
when you tire of them you can always step up to a detroit and sellthe Aussies on BC4x4

barracuda
01-05-2009, 11:22 PM
I turned away from the arb's for maintenance issues. Too many things to go wrong. My detroit true-trac up front works perfectly. I'd do it again. [cheers]

the detroit tru-track is a ltd slip not a locker a detroit locker is night and day difference

bigrig81
01-06-2009, 12:00 AM
its just nice having that option of being fully locked in the front or open at the flick of a switch.

true true

Detroit E-lockers front and back. Turn them both off when you don't need them switch either one on when you do.
http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/ProductsServices/PerformanceProducts/Products/Differentials/Elocker/index.htm

sounds good, will look into them. thanks :D

so you already made up your mind to get it, just do it.
I have tried 2 of the lunch box pieces of junk and they just arent worth the effort IMO
the same guy that designed the lockrote and powertrax did the Aussie.
he just keeps selling the design to whoever will buy it
when you tire of them you can always step up to a detroit and sellthe Aussies on BC4x4

That's cool mj ... haven't mind up my mind, that's why i'm asking, i want opinions, thats what it's all about..... so here's more inquiry.... what were the problems you encountered? not releasing? not engaging? did you dynamite them? do they wear excessively fast? what size tires/engine/drivetrain were you running? i just saw some other guys recommending them on fibc and wanted some other opinions.

thanks

youngun
01-06-2009, 12:30 AM
you will have faith in the welded if you plan on going wheelin this weekend. im welded front and rear and it really isn't that bad. drives surprisingly well in the snowy roads.

m j
01-06-2009, 01:36 AM
erratic operation, then failure
loud ratcheting sounds as they die :)

1980supreme
01-06-2009, 09:09 PM
i understand why people are all for the detroit with the full carrier, but i'm not sure why some people are against the aussie's without trying them...

I haven't had any problems and it's been driven on the road quite a bit and 3 wheeled all over the place. I don't happen to have a whole lot of horsepower with a 22r so i can't say how it'll hold up with a v8 or anything... I think the deciding factor in longevity is how it's setup.

Mine's been beat on fairly decently aside from hardcore rock crawling and it's done what a locker is supposed to do

trencher
01-06-2009, 09:40 PM
erratic operation, then failure
loud ratcheting sounds as they die :)

My question to you would be are you bogging with your broken lockers??
If you drive like an animal in the mud you can grenade detroits too. We know a few guys that have done it. If you are running 44s and are throttle happy then ya you will kill a aussie and others like it.

Depends on what you are looking to do with the truck in the end little brother :dontknow:

trencher
01-06-2009, 09:42 PM
Oh and by the way if you have a posi you can't use a aussie.....think someone said it already but i figured i would mention it again

Vastier
01-06-2009, 09:52 PM
the detroit tru-track is a ltd slip not a locker a detroit locker is night and day difference

Yea, that's why I said I had it up front and it seems to be 'locked' at all the right times. Full detroit is in the back.[cheers]

bigrig81
01-06-2009, 10:40 PM
i understand why people are all for the detroit with the full carrier, but i'm not sure why some people are against the aussie's without trying them...

I haven't had any problems and it's been driven on the road quite a bit and 3 wheeled all over the place. I don't happen to have a whole lot of horsepower with a 22r so i can't say how it'll hold up with a v8 or anything... I think the deciding factor in longevity is how it's setup.

Mine's been beat on fairly decently aside from hardcore rock crawling and it's done what a locker is supposed to do

That's basically what i'm looking at is that i don't plan to bog with the truck and i can only run 33's or 35's at best... just looking to make going places easier and the odd time pushin too much :) and crap for 2/3 the price of one detroit (from the prices i've found) i can do both aussies. :D and of all the articles and long term reviews i have read about the aussies... i have only found one guy that had a problem and aussie sent them a new one overnight.

i knowit's a lunchbox but if it breaks... oh well :) i upgrade based on everyones advice and go with the detroit!

and yes jonny, i know it has to be open.

[cheers]

m j
01-07-2009, 02:29 AM

how many detroits have you owned to compare it to?
how exactly can you change the "set up" on the lunchbox lockers?

lockrite
http://www.bigwheeloffroad.com/image.php?source=dana44.jpg&w=340&h=300

powertrax
http://www.offroaders.com/tech/PowerTrax-No-Slip/images/Powertrax-No-Slip.jpg

Aussie
http://www.offroaders.com/reviewbox/data/7/Aussie-Locker-2.jpg

hamberger
01-07-2009, 07:39 PM
I started with an Aussie in my Toyota rear. 2 years worked just fine. Sold it and its still being used. Had I known how nice the Detroit SoftLocker is I would have saved my money and just started with Detroit. Running an Aussie in the front only because they don't make a SoftLocker for the IFS 7.5 diff. My experience is only with a lightweight vehicle with smallish tires (32")

E-lockers and ARBs sound nice but when engaged, don't they basically turn your diff. into a "spool" ??? If thats the case then no I would not like that.

ham

sj-x 500
01-07-2009, 08:56 PM
yea it locks them together when engaged, and open when disengaged alowing you to turn and maneuver into position before re engaging them to attempt a line.

MetalMan
01-07-2009, 09:16 PM
you will have faith in the welded if you plan on going wheelin this weekend. im welded front and rear and it really isn't that bad. drives surprisingly well in the snowy roads.

Welded front drives like shit, I know from personal experience. All you can do is aim in the direction you want to go and hope that's where it goes, otherwise you're pretty fucked. Forget steering in mud if you start to slow down.

youngun
01-07-2009, 11:07 PM
maybe i just have good luck but my truck steers pretty good consitering. you just have to turn the wheel a bit before you want it to start turning and your golden. im sure without hydro assist it would be a pain to steer but with my tires at 5 psi it steers mint

1980supreme
01-07-2009, 11:08 PM
[QUOTE=m j;1356955]how many detroits have you owned to compare it to?
how exactly can you change the "set up" on the lunchbox lockers?

Actually haven't owned any detroits... Only really have experience with welded and the aussie.
I'm not against them at all... just not sure why everyone's against the aussie's.

By "set up" I meant installed properly.

importcrusher
01-10-2009, 12:01 AM
I'd go with the real deal and get the full detroit. You'll wish you had down the road.[cheers]
the correct answer those imitation lockers are just that

OldEnuff
01-10-2009, 12:42 AM
I have a full detroit in the back of my '85 bronco and a lockrite in the front

have run it that way for years now with 36' TSLs

I have broken u-joints in the front but the lockrite has always worked properly

however...... having said that, I wish I had installed a selectable locker in the front
it can be very difficult to maintain your desired line with the front always locked
very important when in sketchy situations :eek:

importcrusher
01-11-2009, 10:54 PM
I've had to buy 2

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f138/87pathy/DSCF0225.jpgdid u have any luck finding any parts or have to buy a complete unit?

Apathy
01-11-2009, 11:14 PM
by the time i could get spare parts, its the same price to buy a new one.
However, i kept all the good stuff from the broken one, so if by chance i ever break the new one (knock on wood) i may be able to put 1 whole on together from teh 2 old ones (unless its the cogs that break again)