PDA

View Full Version : crazy wobble at 80k/h

CromeY
12-31-2008, 03:00 PM
k so i had a issue up front thought was my u joint it had play so changed that the other day was driving got up to 80 and it just started to wobble like a mother so i took it home and was looking around and seen my Pittman arm has a little play but the bar behind that i believe the track bar????:dontknow: has quite a bit of play could those be the culprit and i mean when u shake the tires the track bar???? move around alot at the point where it bolts to the frame and this is on a 88 cherokee xj any advice or thoughts would be appreciated

cherokeeinprogess
01-01-2009, 12:55 AM
most likely the culprit is the track bar. I have replaced mine twice so far . also check to make sure your wheel bering/hubs are ok too.

Vastier
01-01-2009, 05:10 PM
Tighten up the track bar and be sure the bushing is not worn out. [cheers]

xtremeyj
01-01-2009, 06:05 PM
Ya what they said, the new bushing thing

dirka dave
01-01-2009, 06:24 PM
Are all the lug nutz on ?

CromeY
01-01-2009, 08:53 PM
\i thaught was lugz checked them all tight thaught maybe wheel bearing but wasnt that so must be track bar havent try this out tnx keep the thoughts comeing

UU
01-01-2009, 09:37 PM
did ya look in the glove box ?

is there a peice of paper that says Jeep ?

that'll be yer proplem

jeepxj89
01-02-2009, 12:44 AM
frame end of the track bars always wear out and cause death wobble. while your at it check your balljoints, wheelbearings, tie rod ends, anything else that can move

CromeY
01-02-2009, 11:01 AM
so far only thing thats seems to be fucked is the track bar so ill replace it and see if it fixes it

Vastier
01-02-2009, 12:21 PM
Track bar should be fine.... you'll just need a new bushing on the lower side for it.

CromeY
01-02-2009, 03:58 PM
would lordco be abel to get it and is it just the track bar bushing i ask for

Tinker
01-02-2009, 05:16 PM
so far only thing thats seems to be fucked is the track bar so ill replace it and see if it fixes it

:confused0006: Track bar(s)? What are these forgeign objects you speak of? Sent mine to the metal recycler and cut of the mounts:mad0215: , No wobble hmmmmmmm............:p Does it wobble only in gear or coasting or both?

B
01-02-2009, 05:27 PM
k so i had a issue up front thought was my u joint it had play so changed that the other day was driving got up to 80 and it just started to wobble like a mother so i took it home and was looking around and seen my Pittman arm has a little play but the bar behind that i believe the track bar????:dontknow: has quite a bit of play could those be the culprit and i mean when u shake the tires the track bar???? move around alot at the point where it bolts to the frame and this is on a 88 cherokee xj any advice or thoughts would be appreciated

he needs his .... ;)

xtremeyj
01-02-2009, 06:19 PM
Tinker I had the same happen to mine till I went three link, fer some reason with coil springs they seem to come in handy.

Vastier
01-02-2009, 06:30 PM
[iagree]

Tinker
01-02-2009, 09:42 PM
Well ya don't want the diff to fall out. Does it shake when in neutral or only when in gear?

CromeY
01-03-2009, 10:35 AM
dunno never coasted it at 80 k/h if it doesnt do it in neutral whats that mean

Tinker
01-12-2009, 11:42 AM
Drive shaft!!!!!!!

Happypants
01-12-2009, 01:00 PM
hah, you wanna feel a fucking death wobble, hop in my xj and take it for a drive, at 40 the fucking thing wobbles so bad you cant hold the steering wheel, but mine is dead upper and lower balljoints cause i can move the knuckles side to side and up and down a inch each way,

Tinker
01-12-2009, 01:04 PM
hah, you wanna feel a fucking death wobble, hop in my xj and take it for a drive, at 40 the fucking thing wobbles so bad you cant hold the steering wheel, but mine is dead upper and lower balljoints cause i can move the knuckles side to side and up and down a inch each way,

C'mon fix it would ya. I don't want one of your wheels falling off or under while were wheelin'!:happy0045:

jeepxj89
01-12-2009, 01:06 PM
its the loose draglink end at the pitman arm and trackbar. both of those will cause death wobble.

driveshafts dont cause death wobble they cause vibrations.

its not the bushing at the axle end of the track bar, its the frame side which is non replaceable. you have to get a new trackbar.

i dont know why you keep asking questions when the answers have been said already.....

Happypants
01-12-2009, 01:11 PM
C'mon fix it would ya. I don't want one of your wheels falling off or under while were wheelin'!:happy0045:

i need a job so i can fix it, dun a bunch of interviews n shit and :confused: lol i dont want a tire falling off either

Stetson
01-12-2009, 01:36 PM
its the loose draglink end at the pitman arm and trackbar. both of those will cause death wobble.

its not the bushing at the axle end of the track bar, its the frame side which is non replaceable. you have to get a new trackbar.

i dont know why you keep asking questions when the answers have been said already.....

well said! do you know what a track bar or otherwise known as a panhard rod is and or does? gonna help you, "a component of a car (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automobile) suspension (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspension_%28vehicle%29) system that provides lateral location of the axle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axle)." if this is not tight it causes unwanted lateral axle movement which on your vehicle then cause an un centering (left to right) of the steering which is DEATH WOBBLE. called this cause it can flip your vehicle over at any un presented moment which could cause death and injury.

Vastier
01-12-2009, 01:54 PM

:confused0006: Odd concidering I just replaced that very bushing a month ago. (Frame side)

jeepxj89
01-12-2009, 02:33 PM
thats probably because you have a tj.....im pretty sure the track bars are different. the guy in the first post has an xj

Happypants
01-12-2009, 04:29 PM
not saying that jeepxj89 is wrong but either ends of the track bar can wear out, you just gotta stay on top of them, if the bushings worn out you can get new ones or do what i did i bought an energy suspension kit of poly bushings that fit the axle end of the track bar using the same sleve but i had to cut a bit off the bushing for it to fit properly,

giggityjeep
01-12-2009, 05:57 PM
did ya look in the glove box ?

is there a peice of paper that says Jeep ?

that'll be yer proplem

LOL....ROFL.............asshole2 ......but VERY funny.

Chopstick
01-14-2009, 01:14 AM
if u haven't fixed your problem yet or if it isn't the trackbar try checking to see if your steer stabilizer is still good??? thats what fixed my death wobble on my xj