PDA

View Full Version : Truck wont start

cronic 4x4
12-30-2008, 01:09 PM
I have an 85 22re toyota. The problem is when ever I go to start it I need to boost it. It has a new red top also pulled the alternator and had it checked all good the battery is also reading fine checked it with the volt meter there is also new lead from the starter to the positive terminal and a ground added from the block to the negative terminal , as soon as I put the booster cables on it it fires up right away.

:dontknow:

Toyquad
12-30-2008, 01:12 PM
check for a voltage drop at battery post and terminals. Then battery and starter. Sounds like bad connections.

Also, best way to check a battery is to load test it. Jusr because it has the Volts, does not mean it has the amps to turn the starter motor.

cronic 4x4
12-30-2008, 01:16 PM
check for a voltage drop at battery post and terminals. Then battery and starter. Sounds like bad connections.

well thats what the guy at the alternator shop told me, I am thinking that the best thing to do would be to change over to the side mounts then you know there tight rather then the top mount posts on the battery just dont make sense to me.....The connection on the starter is tight for sure.

Toyquad
12-30-2008, 01:28 PM
should test for a voltage drop first. At least then you'll know what the problem is.

You know how to do a voltage drop test??

If not its pretty simple. With everything hooked up normaly. Using a mutlimeter on volt setting, i forget which one, but if there is a 2v or 5v setting that will work fine. One lead of multimeter goes onto the post comming off the battery, the other onto the battery terminal. The multimeter will read the difference in voltage, which is your voltage drop. Do this for both the neg. and pos. terminals. I cant remember 100% but i think the max allowable voltage drop through a connection is .2v any more then that and that is what your problem is. The combined voltage drop of all connections in the citcuit should not be more then .5v

or just clean, sand ,file all the connections and cover with die-electric grease and try again.

cronic 4x4
12-30-2008, 01:32 PM
should test for a voltage drop first. At least then you'll know what the problem is.

You know how to do a voltage drop test??

If not its pretty simple. With everything hooked up normaly. Using a mutlimeter on volt setting, i forget which one, but if there is a 2v or 5v setting that will work fine. One lead of multimeter goes onto the post comming off the battery, the other onto the battery terminal. The multimeter will read the difference in voltage, which is your voltage drop. Do this for both the neg. and pos. terminals. I cant remember 100% but i think the max allowable voltage drop through a connection is .2v any more then that and that is what your problem is. The combined voltage drop of all connections in the citcuit should not be more then .5v

or just clean/ sand all the connections and try again.

Never new how to do it but i will try that Thanks.I just learned something new LOL

All connections are corrision free and clean that was the first thing I checked aslo thought mabe the connection at the started had come loose but it was fine....

cronic 4x4
02-10-2009, 10:31 AM
Turned out to be a dead red top brought it back to costco and decided to upgrade to the yellow top.. Thanks for all the help/info..

dirka dave
02-10-2009, 02:14 PM
Red tops suck, mine keeps going dead too...

Next one will ba a yellow or a blue top.

cronic 4x4
02-10-2009, 04:08 PM
Well the only thing that pisses me off is that the red tops are 50 bucks cheaper then the yellow tops however optima offers 3 years warranty on the red tops and only 1 year on the yellow tops fucking bullshit.

whitlers
02-10-2009, 09:38 PM
Turned out to be a dead red top brought it back to costco and decided to upgrade to the yellow top.. Thanks for all the help/info..

I thought you checked the battery already?

I've had my red top for over a year now, no problems at all.

cronic 4x4
02-10-2009, 11:37 PM
I did check the battery and it was reading fine on the volt meter. But when I was still having issues starting it I decided to put in another battery I had in the garage and it fired up right away. I decided to take the battery back to costco for checking and they checked it and said it was dead......

whitlers
02-11-2009, 08:37 PM
weird

Hello Kitty
02-11-2009, 09:50 PM

red tops die fast when u hook them up to your puter and post every 3.5 minutes. it dies fast just like your lame responses.
:)

epic3
02-12-2009, 10:55 AM
optimas suck in general