PDA

View Full Version : leaf vs coil

chopper 1
12-27-2008, 10:55 PM
now i need (WANT) more flex in my 78 BJ40 landcruiser i have leafs on her for now but thinking going to coil how hard is this and is it worth it??
or should i just remove some of the leafs??

now remember this is going to be a road hog and a trail rig so some stabilty would be nice but nt important for me (i just have to slow the f*** down):cool:

SquirreL-E
12-27-2008, 11:11 PM
SIMPLE!, just cut your leaf in half, weld a chunk of tube to your frame + top of your leaf pack in the middle and slap a coil in there, then you get the BEST of both worlds...

dirka dave
12-27-2008, 11:28 PM
Both have their pros and cons....

Link good off road, leafs are tried and true both on and off road.

I am sure this will be a good topic for debate.

My self I was going to link my longbox 82, but I decided to to install a Trail Grear lift and I am super happy with it...

Might link the front and keep the rear in the future. I also have a 97 4Runner which is going to be my new trail rig in 2009 and that one is linked in the rear so I might try some expermenting with that one.

chopper 1
12-27-2008, 11:31 PM
hey squirrel-e thanks for the advice asshole2 ;)

Apathy
12-28-2008, 08:39 AM
Leaves are simple and cheap. They do work, expecially if your willing to do some experimentation with the leaf pack.
With gears, bigger tires, and softer spring for articulation you WILL have axle wrap (people will argue this but its true more often than not).
Then you will have to build an antiwrap bar.
You are now 80 of the price to doing a proper 4 link.

Link suspension is expensive, difficult, and requires trig, math, and physics to be able to figure it out, extensive fabrication skills or let somebody else do it.

You will not have axle wrap,
if designed properly you will deliver more force going forward, and or applied where and how you want it.
you will have better flex if you do coils.

Ginger Snaps
12-28-2008, 01:34 PM
i love being on coils on all 4 corners if set up right its a pleasure to drive on and offroad i will never go back to leaves.

xtremeyj
12-28-2008, 05:08 PM
I got a skyjacker ladder bar for sale that would solve the axle wrap issue

yoda_campbell
01-19-2009, 07:07 PM
well if you want a beter approach angle you better off stretching and using long arms and coils just use a wish bone set up and its pritty easy just make sure both sides are allinged equal and square and that get rid of the leaf hangers and your axle wont move around alot due to shackels and no wrap and not as much drive shaft slip or even better coil over air shocks expensive but o so worth it

cheers

fresh
01-20-2009, 05:09 PM
basically what pathy said. but i didnt find it very hard when i did mine. bnut yes you do know how to fabricate well, i have coils in the rear soon to be airshocks. and airshocks in the front and love them. you could link your front to get better approach angle seeing how yours is probly terrible.

Apathy
01-20-2009, 05:31 PM
From the comment from fresh.. It depends on how you do your 4 link.
If you do a simple parallel "old school" setup.. no its not hard. But if you do a duel triangulated 4 link, wich if done right will give you nearly 0 flex steer (wheel moving foreward and aft under articulation). If you geometry is not correct, under extreme flex you tires will move for and aft, making it "turn" or steer.

its all in teh geometry.

UU
01-20-2009, 05:53 PM
my leafs are mounted at 8 points so I have an 8 link

thats twice a good as a 4 link

fresh
01-24-2009, 06:35 PM
yes. all geometry. i dont think i could sleep and night if i had a parallel 4 link. some one could post a link to that 4link program