PDA

View Full Version : allison woas

Happypants
12-27-2008, 11:39 AM
driving home this morning from work and my tranny started clunkin a bit then i only had 1st gear and the indicator light for the shifter disapeared, also when i would be sitting still and put it from reverse to drive it would clunk really bad,

but when i got home, i turned off the truck and waited a few min then started it back up again then took it for a drive, all of a sudden it was shifting properly through the gears and the indicator light had came back, BUT my check engine light had came on,

has anyone else had a similar problem? im thinking that the clunking from drive to reverse is a pressure switch cause it happened before, but as for loosing 2nd,3rd and 4th...thats all new to me,

if anyone has any info it would be greatly appreciated!

oh and its a 2004 gmc sierra2500HD with the 6.6L duramax/allison 3spd with OD tranny

Kingblazer84
12-27-2008, 09:38 PM
sounds like it needs a TCM reprogram i work for Jacobsen GM in kelowna we have been doing alot of updating for the software in all the allisons lately for late shifts and hard shifts also no upshifts and cold temp problems -45 and higher etc. so i would recommend taking it to your closest GM dealer getting them to scan it with the Tech 2 OBD II scanner then MDI the truck to update the TCM software.

Happypants
12-27-2008, 10:23 PM
Ah ok. You got a rough idea on how much that costs?

Kingblazer84
12-27-2008, 10:29 PM
not a clue dude just go talk to a service advisor they will quote you the time for Diag. and then costs of repair once they pinpoint the problem

78f150
12-28-2008, 12:17 AM
wouldn't an 04 be under warrranty

Happypants
12-28-2008, 10:58 AM
ran out of warranty 36,000k ago,

dirka dave
12-28-2008, 11:13 AM
Allison auto trannys are not that great, unless you keep up with the maintenance, and don't over load them.

They are marketed as a heavy duty truck transmission, unfortuanely they are not that strong.:dontknow:

I deal with Allison, Voith and World transmissions at work and you really need to stay on top of the fluid level and fluid changes otherwise they fail quickly...[16]

Happypants
12-28-2008, 11:17 AM
i usually try to keep up on the tranny cause i do alot of towing, i.e my jeep, but looks like for the time being im gonna be throwing some ugly ass flairs on my jeep so i can drive that around while the diesels getting fixed, but i gotta fix my jeep first haha DAMMIT!!

dirka dave
12-28-2008, 11:18 AM
Get some bushwackers...

Happypants
12-28-2008, 11:39 AM
fuck no!, too much money,

toyon35s
12-28-2008, 11:58 AM
a friend of mine has had the same problem with his gmc many times over ,its a shift sileniod costs 400$ to be replaced[cheers]

Happypants
12-30-2008, 12:35 PM
all fixed, it was the NSBU switch on the tranny AGAIN, it gets water inside it and fucks up, hopefully it wont anymore cause i put a new one on and sealed it good

all it costed me was 100 bucks for the scan at the shop, then 60 bucks for the switch

MetalMan
01-03-2009, 08:33 PM
Allison auto trannys are not that great, unless you keep up with the maintenance, and don't over load them.

They are marketed as a heavy duty truck transmission, unfortuanely they are not that strong.:dontknow:

I deal with Allison, Voith and World transmissions at work and you really need to stay on top of the fluid level and fluid changes otherwise they fail quickly...[16]

They're a fuckload better than Dodge auto trannies. Behind a Cummins they're like a grenade, the first time you put it in Drive you've pulled the pin and it's just a matter of time. But nobody makes an auto tranny that can live behind a diesel, they've all got to be upgraded to be reliable, which makes you wonder why they don't just build them right to begin with.

jesslee
01-04-2009, 03:43 PM
..... which makes you wonder why they don't just build them right to begin with.

because then noone would make any money. and the world today is about making money.

MetalMan
01-04-2009, 03:52 PM
Sure, but it's not making the OEM's any money. They're replacing these things under warranty, that costs them money, and when the warranty runs out people go to a tranny shop to have it built right once and for all. So tranny shops and aftermarket parts suppliers make money off it, while the OEM's lose money, for them it would make much more economic sense to put beefed up transmissions in to begin with.

jesslee
01-04-2009, 07:18 PM
circle of business

clevis
01-05-2009, 01:57 PM
I keep a spare neutral safety switch in my tool box while snowplowing; It doesnt take much moisture to short them out- The Allison part is better (lasts longer) than the GM version.

My truck's an 03 on its 3rd switch